I'd rather be flingin then stringing and unstringing

kyleds8

FNG
Hello,

I'm sure it has been discussed, and will be discussed again, but I just got a Bear Montana, first longbow after glass recurves and wondering about care. I shoot pretty much every day when there's no snow, to unstring, or not to unstring? gut feelings appreciated, thought-out logic moreso.

I've always used the push-pull with my recurve, and left strung all season, so far to no ill effect. with this nicer, heavier bow, wondering, time to move to a stringer?

how do y'all care for your bows when out hunting, protecting from snow, wet and dirt? I imagine wet would significantly impact the string. keep em strung?

all the best,

Kyle

Kentucky

WKR
I’m used to be a stringer guy.. not so much anymore.. I boot brace my longbow. I have left them strung all season, but.. If I know it’s gonna set for a couple days I unstring it..

Felix40

WKR
Leave it strung. It’s a glass bow so it will be fine. The push pull is a fine way to string any bow. When hunting in the rain you don’t need to do anything special. Just wax the string like normal.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Felix there nailed it. Your longbow will be much less susceptible to limb twist while stringing than the recurve too. Leaving them string hurts nothing. They are not selfbows and won’t take a set.

I always store my glass bows unstrung on a horizontal bow rack and always use a bow stringer. I sell bows that I make and for them to be warrantied I require them to be strung with a stringer, and to be stored unstrung. Now I will leave it strung over a weekend hunt, but otherwise they are stored unstrung. Just piece of mind I guess.

Last edited:
I’m a bow stringer fan. I also leave my bows strung for months. Heck, my hunting bow stays strung pretty much year round. I can grab it after work and be out the door after hogs in no time at all.

TaterTot

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't unstrung my super kodiak in almost 2 years, except to put in new silencers or adjust brace height.

quah

FNG
I use a stringer and unstring my bows any time they're not consistently be used and when traveling. Hang horizontally as well.

Kpdaniels

FNG
I have a bear montana as well. I boot-brace to string and unstring and it takes no time at all. I unstring after I shoot every time. I’m not saying that leaving it strung is bad but it makes more sense to me to leave it unstring when not in use.

Kpdaniels

FNG
Also I just had another thought. I’ve been shooting the same bear montana for close to 12 years as my only bow. It has not lost any draw weight or deformed in any way with me stringing it every time I go out to shoot. Who knows if it would have been any different had I not unstrung it but I can’t imagine anything sitting under tension for 12 years without some sort of deformation.

Ratbeetle

WKR
I leave my stringer hanging on the rack with my bows. Just takes a second to string it up so if I'm not shooting a bow daily it gets unstrung.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I use a stringer but I just talked to both the companies that make the bows I have. Both black widow and bivouac said to not worry about it and leave them strung.

Glass recurve stays strung 100% of the time.
ASL longbow is unstrung 100% of the time that I'm not actively shooting it.