ID Unit 54 Archery Elk

jmillr1

WKR
Figured I'd take a shot in the dark here. I'm the lone non-resident guy that was lucky enough to draw this tag and in all likelihood will never draw it again given the odds and was wondering if there's anyone that could answer a few questions about your hunts in there.

-How was the landscape?
-How'd your hunt go?
-Anything you wish you did/didn't do?
-Glass recommendations?

I'm not asking for spots or lat/longs just general information. Been told by a few Idaho residents that in comparison to northern Idaho it's not nearly as rugged, but to still come physically prepared. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I scour maps up until my hunt date.

Thanks!

I've never hunted that unit but I would say pick somewhere farther off the grid. There is a ton of people always in that area. I know that's not real great advice anytime I've been out there and the 1 time I hunted an OTC tag out there there was people everywhere.
EDIT -- I was off a unit so ignore my comment!

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

RustyHazen

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure, there. That archery hunt is antlered only. You can't apply for an antlered hunt the year after drawing. Maybe a bull tag and a cow tag...? Either way, stupid draw odds!

OP
jmillr1

jmillr1

WKR
He told me it was rain checked bc of the fire. Nothing sinister.

Incredible area and hunt, you have an opportunity to take a truly world class bull. I hope that you find success! I'd be looking hard at hiring Deadline Outfitters just to maximize the potential this tag has.

OP
jmillr1

jmillr1

WKR
Incredible area and hunt, you have an opportunity to take a truly world class bull. I hope that you find success! I'd be looking hard at hiring Deadline Outfitters just to maximize the potential this tag has.
I did look at them and well let's just say I'd like to stay a happily married man with those prices! I know its a quality tag with quality bulls in there and I'm going to make the best of it and have a good time doing it.

I am hunting with Deadline…they know the country and I am looking for a special bull. It is a magical place, and if you are happy with a nice bull you’ll have plenty to chase. Yes my tag was rain checked from last years fire.

Juan_ID

WKR
Classified Approved
Not sure how much time you have but you’re in for a treat and you’ll learn very quickly if you are/aren’t where the elk are. Tons of elk and lots of bulls, if you are looking for a 390-400” bull the outfitter will have any/all of those located and “targeted” for their “hunters”

Oh and just for the record I have never hunted the unit for elk myself but know many that have spent a fair amount of time there during the archery seasons.

TheTone

WKR
Interesting on the rain check. I didn’t think that was possible on the archery hunt as they didn’t even talk about them last year until well after the start of the hunt

Juan_ID

WKR
Classified Approved
Interesting on the rain check. I didn’t think that was possible on the archery hunt as they didn’t even talk about them last year until well after the start of the hunt
The fire started half way though the archery hunt

My hunt got cut way short, as I didn't plan to start hunting until the middle of the month. I got a few days in, but didn't get to finish my hunt due to the fires. So, I don't know about that rule but I think it was fair overall...To draw such a great tag and not get to hunt it but for a few days would be a bit depressing!

TheTone

WKR
So did deadline give you a chance at the 380 or 404 bull or were those reserved for the rich guy with the super tag and outfitter tag?