ID Unit 73 Mule Deer

cnewso2

FNG
I want to reach out and see if anyone could help me out with some info for mule deer in unit 73 in Idaho. I will be making an archery hunt at the beginning of September with a friend of mine. We are both from Louisiana and we will not be able to make it up before season to scout. Wanted to see if anyone had any information on the deer herd in this unit. I have read that this portion of the state had pretty rough winters in '16 and '17. How bad was the deer herd decimated? Also, does the unit get a lot of pressure from deer/elk hunters during that time frame? I have researched the unit on GoHunt, Huntinfool, and spoken with a local biologist. I just wanted to get feedback from anyone who has experience in this unit or knows the recent history. Thanks in advance!

-Cody

Almost all units in southeast Idaho have got hit pretty hard in 2 of the last 3 winters. Hunting pressure will be very high especially anywhere near any roads. In general in Idaho if it’s not a hard to access unit in central Idaho or a draw tag, it will have lots of hunting pressure. Good luck

I would look east of Malad and get high as you can to start. The bucks that I saw last weekend on my scouting trip were high.

Try and pick one out in the morning as kill him when he rests up for the day.

Hunted 73 rifle the last two years and killed a 170s buck two years ago and last year my son killed a 150s buck. The rest of the group filled in my some smaller 4*4s and a couple 3*3s. Last year I saw about 20 bucks before the opener up high. Had a great snow and everything seemed about prefect until opening morning. Woke up to a complete zoo. Quads and rhinos everywhere. I am talking about right on the damn top of the mountain and on ever ridge. Never seen so much pressure. What sucked was this was a closed motor area. Nothing like walking over 2 hours in the dark to see this crap ever where.
Best of luck but the quads where so bad that we did not even put in for 73 this year.
I am sure with the bow you will see a ton less pressure and they went away from unlimited rifle draw which I am sure will help
Tons of private so make sure you know where you are.

I'm looking at the same unit too in the first week of September. I had one day of hiking there in June. My brother and I covered 14 miles and saw 2 bucks 2 does just from the trail. We didn't actually spend any time glassing for deer because of limited time. There was a handful of guys on dirt bikes back there but motor vehicle are restricted for hunting.

I want to reach out and see if anyone could help me out with some info for mule deer in unit 73 in Idaho. I will be making an archery hunt at the beginning of September with a friend of mine. We are both from Louisiana and we will not be able to make it up before season to scout. Wanted to see if anyone had any information on the deer herd in this unit. I have read that this portion of the state had pretty rough winters in '16 and '17. How bad was the deer herd decimated? Also, does the unit get a lot of pressure from deer/elk hunters during that time frame? I have researched the unit on GoHunt, Huntinfool, and spoken with a local biologist. I just wanted to get feedback from anyone who has experience in this unit or knows the recent history. Thanks in advance!

-Cody
I just moved to northern Utah and I have made 2 hikes on unit 73 Idaho. There are a lot of trails lacing the area I hiked and there was quite a bit of dirt bike traffic on one hike, which to me seems to indicate at least some hunting pressure is likely. I spotted several muleys (and a pair of moose) and a fair amount of deer dirt, so there are deer around yet.