Idaho 10-2

OP
I

Idaho10mm

FNG
I was thinking of applying there and being that it is a new unit there is not much info as far as harvest statistics go. I am used to hunting away from the road, would Grizzlies be a concern around there?

GregB

WKR
Access is pretty tough there are no roads in the unit so you would have to hike in. It is possible grizzlies are there. I've hunted in the general area but not specifically there, and the brush can get really thick to the point where a moose could be standing 10 feet away and you wouldn't see it. 10-2 isn't a new hunt it's been around for quite a while.

I was thinking of applying there and being that it is a new unit there is not much info as far as harvest statistics go. I am used to hunting away from the road, would Grizzlies be a concern around there?
I would not worry about Grizzlies. As stated it is not a new unit. This year they decreased a lot of moose tags due to a decline in populations. Last year only 1 tag was filled out of 5. I would say go check it out before you apply, but I dont think you are getting up there until Mid June. The only access you might have other than on your feet or horses would be a motorcycle trail. It is some very rugged country, packing a moose out will be quite the endeavor, so have help ready. Pack a fly rod when you go scout, great fishing up there!

madmoose

FNG
What makes you pick 10-2 if you don't mind me asking. The comments mentioned above are accurate. Early mid 90s the 10 units were good, now, not so much.

I think 10-2 has some trails that are accessible with a trail ATV (less than 50" wide). I don't think I would hunt moose without horses/ATV unless you are hunting near one of the few roads.

I think 10-2 has some trails that are accessible with a trail ATV (less than 50" wide). I don't think I would hunt moose without horses/ATV unless you are hunting near one of the few roads.

If we are thinking of the same trail it ends at the border of that hunt area where it turns into a non motorized trail. I thought there was one single track trail open to motorcycles, but I was mistaken, its walk in or horseback only.

OP
I

Idaho10mm

FNG
I think I am going to go a different route now. I has intrested at first because of the size of the bulls taken in that unit and surrounding ones, but some serious work especially if I am solo which would be likely.

Gli_ryan

FNG
I’ve been looking at the units over here too. Looks really tough with pretty low success rates, probably due to the difficulty.