Idaho 2018/19 winter

Idahomnts

Lil-Rokslider
Just got back from a few days in 72 eastern Idaho, a short hike around my brothers house turned up 15 dead fawns in about 5 miles, and a few that weren’t too excited about fleeing the scene when I stumbled across them, south slopes opening up and green starting but this rain and cooler temps aren’t helping, 2’ + on the floor and north sides , the fawns are taking a whoopin for sure ,

crossone

FNG
Is it just me, or do the F&G surveys work like this?

Count 5 elk and 5 mule deer. Multiply both by 1,000 = 5,000 elk and 5,000 mule deer. Population of both is apparently great. No changes.

Count 4 wolves in one drainage. Assume this is all of the wolves with 100 miles. Report 4 in five hunting units.

Idahomnts

Lil-Rokslider

Count 5 elk and 5 mule deer. Multiply both by 1,000 = 5,000 elk and 5,000 mule deer. Population of both is apparently great. No changes.

Count 4 wolves in one drainage. Assume this is all of the wolves with 100 miles. Report 4 in five hunting units.

Sounds accurate

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member

Probably not accurate, but hilarious anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Joe Schmo

Joe Schmo

Lil-Rokslider

That there is obviously just a stab in the dark but it's actually close to the truth.
Since wolves have such a large range and are migratory throughout the year you multiply by .64 and round down to the nearest whole wolf.
So that'd be 2 wolves in eight hunting units...

Went up over mud flat rd in the Owyhees the other day. Have never seen this much snow up there this late - they haven't plowed much past the first cattle guard up top. I saw exactly zero mule deer on this trip for some reason. They must all be down low still. It was snowing up high.

20190324_113719.jpg20190324_112254.jpg

Iv got a buddy who rides dirt bikes out in that area pretty regularly. Says hes sees deer everytime he rides. Obviously he's not up in the mountains.

Broomd

WKR
Things are melting and even greening slowly here in northern Idaho Whitetail country. Thankful!
Saw three deer today here on the place, including a fawn.

Wassid82

WKR
I’ve heard ranchers talk about the type of snow and when it falls as more important than snow levels. For example when it’s colder the snow tends to be drier and lighter. This is better for the cows because their hides don’t get as wet and their bodies retain heat better which means they are less stressed and burn less calories. For the rancher this means their herds will come out of winter with more weight. I bet the same is true for other ungulates. Less caloric expenditure = better winter survival - better herd numbers. Same concept with spring storms when fawns are droppping and the snow is heavier and wet or the animals have been stressed with long winters.

https://idfg.idaho.gov/press/monito...-survival-below-average-calf-survival-average

Looks like it was bad but not as bad as 2 years ago. It sucks that we had 2 bad winters so close together. The closest bad winters I can remember were 2007-08 and then 2010-11. Those were 3 years apart. It wasn't until 2014 that harvest numbers achieved the 2007 level after those winters. If the same pattern holds true, it looks like a lean few years ahead for us and the deer.

The difference this time around is that there will be no doe harvest in many units. It will be interesting to see if that makes a difference in how quickly the numbers recover.

The numbers are somewhat deceptive. Wood River and SE Idaho were bad. Some areas likely had minimal winter kill. I know one winter range specifically that I kept tabs on but don't want to broadcast.

IdahoHntr

WKR
There is a silver lining there in that the adult survival was over 90%. The winter 2 years ago didn't just take fawns, but took many adult deer as well. All in all this winter appears to be a bit harder than average, but not devastating. As has been mentioned the worst part about it is that its coming so close to the terrible winter of 16/17 and will definitely slow the "rebuilding".

I'm a NR so I can't speak for too much but I called the IDFG and asked about the Magic Valley region. Not gonna be specific but along the southern half of the region the bio said that the winter wasn't too bad. About 60% survival for the fawns they had collared. He said that the does don't really have a problem in the winter with a 95%-99% survivability rating.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

I'm a NR so I can't speak for too much but I called the IDFG and asked about the Magic Valley region. Not gonna be specific but along the southern half of the region the bio said that the winter wasn't too bad. About 60% survival for the fawns they had collared. He said that the does don't really have a problem in the winter with a 95%-99% survivability rating.

60% survival on the southern end, meaning 45/52/54/55 is bad news because those are low elevation areas where winter is usually pretty mild. The animals that stayed higher wouldn't have that kind of rate I'm sure.

60% survival on the southern end, meaning 45/52/54/55 is bad news because those are low elevation areas where winter is usually pretty mild. The animals that stayed higher wouldn't have that kind of rate I'm sure.
IDF&G knows they can pedal any bullsh**t they want to NR'S and they'll still flood in for cheap OTC deer hunts. 60% is pretty poor, especially figuring in that we are missing an entire fawn crop from 2 seasons ago. That translates into far fewer mature bucks, and far less does for them to breed, meaning a long road to recovery for the species.

IDF&G knows they can pedal any bullsh**t they want to NR'S and they'll still flood in for cheap OTC deer hunts. 60% is pretty poor, especially figuring in that we are missing an entire fawn crop from 2 seasons ago. That translates into far fewer mature bucks, and far less does for them to breed, meaning a long road to recovery for the species.
I should specify this isn't for the whole of the southern end if the region. I asked about a fairly specific location and can't speak for the entire but the bio had said it wasn't the greatest winter

I cant really say too much as i just moved here in October of 2017. But I have seen far more elk and deer this spring then I did last spring. So I really dont care what IDFG says the numbers are. My eyes tell me all i need to know.

Last edited: