Idaho 2020

Lukeduke13

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for a good Idaho otc unit for deer. Trying to find a decent unit to take my son on his first mule deer hunt. If anyone can help would be greatly appreciated

Not to be debbie downer but be prepared for an expensive camping trip your first time out. I spent 10 days in Idaho, over 2 "good" units last year and covered lots of miles on foot. It took me 3 days to see my first deer, or any animal bigger than a bird to be specific. I eventually found deer but didnt see a single buck in the trip or have any opportunities at a shot. I did have alot of fun though but it's very difficult if you have never been to the area previously.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Looking for a good Idaho otc unit for deer. Trying to find a decent unit to take my son on his first mule deer hunt. If anyone can help would be greatly appreciated

Here is Idaho's Hunt Planner, it's pretty dang good. Choose either the Filterable Grid, or the Classic Wizard (or both)

Get yourself familiar with the Idaho Department Fish & Game website. There's a lot of useful information. You will be able to figure out a few units to focus on. Good luck to you and your son.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

87TT

WKR
I don't know your son's age or experience but I would only take someone new to a location I had first hand experience in. Lest you both be disappointed.

I don't know your son's age or experience but I would only take someone new to a location I had first hand experience in. Lest you both be disappointed.

Good point and most kids are happy with any deer unless they've been conditioned to seeking trophies. You might consider a unit that has anterless opportunity and large deer herds. If you talked with fish and game and looked at their materials online, you could find that.

Get that youth tag and have him whack a dry doe! Best to get to know the area while getting one on the ground... I'd highly recommend that.

Not sure what state you are coming from but ID has a lot of steep rough terrain. Something to consider with a 10 year old.

I will add that several of the general deer tag opportunities allow youth antlerless harvest in addition to buck opportunity. Check the regulations and you will see what I'm referring to.

Consider a hunt a little further North Idaho where you and your son can hunt Mulies and Whitetail in the same area. If the hunt is proving tough on the young man you should be able to switch gears and take a Whitetail doe . Many areas of Idaho are hurting as far as mulies go , shooting does isn't going to help.

Good luck and feel free to PM me if you'd like more specific information.

Broomd

WKR
Consider a hunt a little further North Idaho where you and your son can hunt Mulies and Whitetail in the same area. If the hunt is proving tough on the young man you should be able to switch gears and take a Whitetail doe . Many areas of Idaho are hurting as far as mulies go , shooting does isn't going to help.

Good luck and feel free to PM me if you'd like more specific information.
I was going to post something very similar. Leave the mule deer does alone and same goes for the young bucks. Our resource is bad enough as it is after some rough Winters and 'brown its down' mule deer buck hunters.
Shoot a whitetail deer and enjoy the experience.

^ Great points. If a guy is interested by whitetails, there’s certainly more density of than mule deer these days. Likely to the youngster a deer is a deer. And whitetail are good eating.

olwyatt

FNG
I know multiple parties who've hunted the November Whitetail hunt in some of that canyon country in the North/Central part of the state. They've all taken great bucks year in and year out.

Azone

WKR

Time frame?
Truck camping?
Backpacking?
Physical limitations?
Pack stock available?

I do agree with alot of the above about the muley does, the winters and wolves hurt them enough. But if you guys end up shooting a doe I would not pass judgment. A kid getting a deer whether it's their first one or fourth one is always awesome. As mentioned by alot of the post above the Idaho hunt planner is solid gold in my opinion. Good luck.

Huntnnw

WKR
make sure to apply in the controlled hunt, there are some easier ones to draw and have a fun time seeing quite a few deer.

morten

FNG
Not knowing where you are from you may want to look at eastern Montana. Lots of public land and pretty easy hunting if you are just looking for a first Mule deer. Tags are high at over $600 for non residents but almost a sure draw. we see several bucks a day but the quality is not the best. That being said there are some 180s if your willing to put in some time and be patient. .