Idaho 20A

Idguy88

FNG
Hi folks, brand new to this forum so I apologize if I am posting this in the wrong spot.

I am looking for some information on a hunt I have planned for the coming fall in Idaho Unit 20A. The group (4 of us) will have both general bull and buck tags in pocket as well as wolf tag. (rifle hunt)

Plan is to fly into the chamberlain airstrip and backpack hunt towards the confluence of the sf of the salmon / main salmon (8 days total). We have a jet boat that will pick us up and take us back.

Not looking for an secret spots but if anyone has been in the general area and has any info I would appreciate it.

Any and all info would be helpful.

thanks

PNWGATOR

WKR
Make sure to not miss leg day!

In all seriousness, make sure you’re well conditioned and have your gear dialed and pack nothing extra. It’s big country. Enjoy the journey.

OP
I

Idguy88

FNG
PNWGATOR - Thanks, we are very aware of the conditions. Just looking for any info on the hunting side of things. Gear, physical fitness etc. is all dialed.

Hi folks, brand new to this forum so I apologize if I am posting this in the wrong spot.

I am looking for some information on a hunt I have planned for the coming fall in Idaho Unit 20A. The group (4 of us) will have both general bull and buck tags in pocket as well as wolf tag. (rifle hunt)

Plan is to fly into the chamberlain airstrip and backpack hunt towards the confluence of the sf of the salmon / main salmon (8 days total). We have a jet boat that will pick us up and take us back.

Not looking for an secret spots but if anyone has been in the general area and has any info I would appreciate it.

Any and all info would be helpful.

thanks

When are you going?

tex0373

Lil-Rokslider
We hunted Elk City zone this past October. Lots of snow opening day and cold (I’m from MS so take it for what it’s worth). I would suggest taking a backpack stove with you for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That will be a fun trip! Great idea on the through hunt. I would much rather do that as a hike rather than a hunt though. Best of luck to you and remember a good first aid kit.

The trick is that most guys just don’t see any elk or deer in a full week in there. It’s mostly empty country after the wolves and habitat issues took over. There are elk but they’re just scattered all over. That area would not be a preferred spot for me within the Middle Fork Zone.

sneaky

"DADDY"
What are you going to do if you kill an elk early in your trip? Pack it for 6 more days? I think the logistics side of your adventure needs some fine tuning.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
I agree with idahohikker, Chamberlain area wouldn't be my first choice

What are you going to do if you kill an elk early in your trip? Pack it for 6 more days? I think the logistics side of your adventure needs some fine tuning.

Like I said a much better hike than a hunt. Dropping off into the confluence with your supplies and an animal is going to be brutal.

Wassid82

WKR
:oops: cool country. temperature dependent for a successful hunt. I would look at onxmaps and try to find benches. That country is a neat hike but I have seen animals scattered across 2-3k in elevation. Sometimes weather pushes them closer to the river systems sometime they are on midlevel benches and other times good luck finding them closer than walking in the clouds.

Bisley45

Lil-Rokslider
The trick is that most guys just don’t see any elk or deer in a full week in there. It’s mostly empty country after the wolves and habitat issues took over. There are elk but they’re just scattered all over. That area would not be a preferred spot for me within the Middle Fork Zone.
This guy is telling you the truth. We saw 6 whitetail does and 1 red fox last year flying into Chamberlain. Big, beautiful, empty country.

OP
I

Idguy88

FNG
Thanks for all the responses folks. We are aware that #'s are low and the country is big and unforgiving. However, that is a major driving force as to why we are looking into this hunt. We are looking for a challenge. Does anyone here have any info on any of the aviation companies? Looks like there are several so any feedback there would be great. Ideally we would fly out of McCall unless someone suggests otherwise.

thanks

Thanks for all the responses folks. We are aware that #'s are low and the country is big and unforgiving. However, that is a major driving force as to why we are looking into this hunt. We are looking for a challenge. Does anyone here have any info on any of the aviation companies? Looks like there are several so any feedback there would be great. Ideally we would fly out of McCall unless someone suggests otherwise.

thanks
I think Arnold Aviation out of Cascade still does fly-ins as well.

nabooska

FNG

thanks

I've flown McCall / Salmon Air into the Frank. Reasonable cost for 2 guys and flexible pickup times. No complaints.