Idaho 27-1

jzelina

FNG
Hey all, I was fortunate enough to draw 27-1 in Idaho this year! I am working on getting my feet underneath me scouting wise, and would appreciate any suggestions on where to start gathering information. Also, any books or other information on general bighorn sheep behavior would be very beneficial as I don't have much experience with them. I do have some experience DIY hunting dall sheep, but from what I'm beginning to understand these bighorns behave quite differently. Again, any suggestions or resources for where to start looking and learning would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Josh

If you are a nonresident, you may want to confirm you were actually selected especially after the news that came out with the Idaho Trophy Species draw today....

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Check out Huntin Fools instagram. Idaho apparently had a "glitch" in their system last week and drew more non resident sheep tags than the cap called for in units. So they are sending emails informing that there was a mistake and some non residents will get refunded for the tag.

USMC-40

WKR
Well I hope you drew that tag. That area is rugged and dry (at least up high). Hunted Mulies in 27-1 a couple times. Never saw sheep.

you have the tag that I really want! Congrats!

I can confirm. They should give us all tags next year. Or the year after until they have made it right.
6a51512116ed167166747b510843e9cd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
jzelina

jzelina

FNG
I am a resident and so fortunately wasn’t affected by that. Looks like Skynet is coming for the sheep hunters!

@USMC-40 Thanks! I’ve heard a lot of people echo what you’ve said. Hopefully I have a good go of it and can help you out when you draw yours.

USMC-40

WKR
I am a resident and so fortunately wasn’t affected by that. Looks like Skynet is coming for the sheep hunters!

@USMC-40 Thanks! I’ve heard a lot of people echo what you’ve said. Hopefully I have a good go of it and can help you out when you draw yours.
Appreciate it brother. Austin Atkinson of Huntin Fool drew and killed a nice ram in unit 27 - FYI. Pretty good YouTube video out there on it. Austin will give you any relevant info he has (sheep hunted with him last year. Good dude).

@jzelina the information I would gather first is any info a regional biologist will give you. Request the mortality reports from the last 10 years. Those may be helpful to you in determining historical areas that hold sheep.

The 27-# unit sheep hunts are the hardest hunts in the state. It can be done though.

Extend your network, reach out to as many individuals as you can who've done the hunt. Consider getting a member draw list from HF or Epic.

IDNate

FNG
Congrats on the tag! Best book I read for bighorn behavior was Wild Sheep Country by Valerius Geist. It helped a ton on understanding sheep behavior but doesn’t offer any information on how to hunt sheep. As Sleghammer said, the biologist should be your first call followed by figuring out access. After that start getting in the best shape of your life. That country is steep and the rams are at the top that time of year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BAKPAKR

WKR
Appreciate it brother. Austin Atkinson of Huntin Fool drew and killed a nice ram in unit 27 - FYI. Pretty good YouTube video out there on it. Austin will give you any relevant info he has (sheep hunted with him last year. Good dude).
That is a good video, and while it was in 27, it was in a different sheep hunt area.