Idaho 32-A

Marmots

Lil-Rokslider
Hello Rokslide,

I drew a spring bear tag in 32A. I normally spot and stalk spring bear in the end of the season in unit 35. The Weiser River zone in April is a lot different than the Sawtooths in the June rut, so I'm pretty out of my element.

I've spent the second week of April glassing along the middle fork, but I think it was early. I saw wolves and moose and just about everything else on God's Green Earth, except bear. I've been told to look for wild onion, skunk cabbage, and arrowleaf balsamroot for food sources. It looks like the grocery store just wasn't open yet, as skunk cabbage was just coming up and balsamroot was only out down low.

I was up the middle fork road, but don't think I'll be using that access unless a lot of snow melts and that road opens a lot further. So many of the basins and meadows off the middle fork access are private DFD land.

I have a couple of questions for you folks.

Are there any other food sources or landscape features I should be concentrating on?

When do you think the bear activity tends to pick up in this area? I have a lot of time available to hunt, but still need to prioritize dates between now and May 22nd.

When folks say "hunt the snow line" - how large is that buffer? I was generally around 4800 -5000 feet, and it varied from dry ground to four feet of slush. Down at 3500, everything was electric green. Going forward, should I prioritize patches of vibrant green over areas that are just coming uncovered?

I'd really appreciate any insights you folks might have. I am very excited to have finally drawn this tag.

idahomuleys

Lil-Rokslider
I was just across the highway in 22 last weekend. I saw 3 large boars feeding in open green hillsides. Below them was a very rocky avalanche chute river draw. Hunt big canyons with lots of water and green grass with NO ROADS in them. You'll find bears if you glass evening hours in those areas.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

idahomuleys

Lil-Rokslider
The key is to find a good glassing spot in the area I described above and glass. Dont just walk the whole time hoping you stumble into one. Sit down, glass, find bear, plan stalk.

One more thing, the bears I seen were around 4600 ft. They also need timber/cover nearby when they feed so they can escape if they need to.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

87TT

WKR
I know there are moose around north of McCall and east of there. Have never seen one in 32A and I live on the edge of it.

OP
M

Marmots

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, in the Mica drainage. It honestly surprised me quite a bit because so far as I know, they're not supposed to be in the unit. Probably a wayward individual from the McCall area.