Idaho 36-1 Mountain Goat Tag

Hey guys! I was lucky enough to draw a Mountain Goat tag in Idaho this year. Have done enough research and talked to enough people that I have a good idea on where to start scouting and to spend some time trying to find a good goat.

I did have a couple questions though. For a goat to get good hair, when should I plan on shooting one? When should I expect to be snowed out in Central Idaho?

Britt-dog

Lil-Rokslider
I killed a nice Idaho billy last year on October 24th. His hair was outstanding. It’s hard to wait and the weather will be a gamble but you should target the second half of October.

eta: I don’t know what elevation you will be at, but I was only at 5500 and had snow on the pack out. Weather never really got better after that.

BAKPAKR

WKR
I shot my goat in Montana in early October and he was not fully haired. Later on in the year, areas with goats can become almost inaccessible or dangerous because of snow. Despite those issues, I think I will wait and hunt late October if I should ever draw another tag.

GreenNDark Timber

Lil-Rokslider
I killed my goat in central ID on September 17th and he had nice hair. Not full winter hair but not short either. I wanted to kill one with my bow and didn't want to risk getting shut down by snow. I had 2 days of heavy snow during the hunt that melted quickly then it started snowing the day after I killed him and didn't stop for at least several weeks.

yKFHqRG.jpg

Griswold

FNG
I harvested my billy first week of October in 2020. Hair was long and thick. The end of September to the first week of October should be good for hair and weather. After that, good luck!

The Billy liked to play in his beds and was dirty.

Attachments

• IMG_20201221_193357_195.jpg
    IMG_20201221_193357_195.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 106
36-1 is fairly high (for Idaho). Anything past the last week of September is rolling the dice with snow. I've had 10+" at mid mountain elevations on the 1st of October, but I've also had beautiful bluebird 50+ degree days well into mid-October.

36-1 has heavy recreational traffic (again, relative to Idaho), but it generally shuts off pretty hard after Labor Day in that area.

Best of luck! Please share as your season goes along.

OP
D
Thanks everyone for sharing info. I am planning on pushing it to the second half of September.

Broomd

WKR
Wife and I both drew this area....36a-1 and 36a-4.

Her hunt ended up close to 10k', and we post-holed up 2000' through 3-4' of snow to the peaks in mid-late October to get her goat. Bitter cold, tough but gratifying hunt.

Mine was earlier Oct and less high at 7-8K' ...dry and sunny.
You never know, but your Sept plan is a good move, imho.

I've hunted 39 twice. One taken in early October had really nice hair, the other a buddy took in late October had exceptional hair. The weather risk is your biggest concern, personally it comes down to your flexibility to get in the woods at the right time. I've been on several Goat and Sheep hunts but I do not like hunting goats in snowy goat country.

J2C

FNG
I drew the 36A-3 Mt Goat tag and I had the same question. I don’t want to get snowed out, but I would like a goat with nice thick hair. Good luck!!

Smfigari

FNG
Hey guys! I was lucky enough to draw a Mountain Goat tag in Idaho this year. Have done enough research and talked to enough people that I have a good idea on where to start scouting and to spend some time trying to find a good goat.

I did have a couple questions though. For a goat to get good hair, when should I plan on shooting one? When should I expect to be snowed out in Central Idaho?
How’d your hunt go?

I killed my goat in central ID on September 17th and he had nice hair. Not full winter hair but not short either. I wanted to kill one with my bow and didn't want to risk getting shut down by snow. I had 2 days of heavy snow during the hunt that melted quickly then it started snowing the day after I killed him and didn't stop for at least several weeks.

yKFHqRG.jpg
bad ass!

Sawtoothsteve

Lil-Rokslider

Any reports on your hunt?