Idaho 40-1 Hunt Rifle Elk

Just curious if someone out there can help out an old Disabled vet with some advice or a tip to narrow my focus for my search of an area and a chance at a nice bull. Maybe also a good central location for a decent camping spot. The area encompasses 3 units and about 3k square miles. Never hunted this area and never really expected to draw such a hard to get tag. Put in cause I figured 14 bucks extra so why not. I assumed I would just draw a general tag I could use to hunt right across the border from me which is only ten miles. I can drive my Jeep or my ATV from my house. Not complaining I am stoked about the hunt just a little overwhelmed by the enormity of the area and do not wish to conflict with the bowhunters which will be out and about at the same time. I figure to spend some time classing from some high vantage points but it would help if I knew where those good vantage points are to save myself some miles of exploration. Going out a week early to scout but a heads up on where to look or not to bother looking would be a big help.
Thanx in advance

The elk are really scattered but if you do someone online searches and talk to bios then you’ll be able to narrow some.

I’ve heard from others and my experience is the same that there’s no real elk population around Silver City.

Elk can be in the desert and near ag land but I’d focus on high points. If you rule out Silver City and look around the highest points there’s only a few. Hint hint.

I’d expect a hard hunt and no slam dunk. My experience hunting the Owyhees we found zero elk with multiple trips in there and normally I find elk pretty quick in new areas.

OP
J
Appreciate the information. Pretty much what I have been told by others about the "high places" but was told it was loaded with elk. The success rate for last year was 100% according to fish and game.
I have been real disappointed with multiple state game entities over the last ten years. They have hyped this hunt as THE opportunity of a lifetime for a chance at 330+ bulls.
I hunted Arizona last year and have to say it was the worst hunt of my life. ATVs racing everywhere and I never saw one bull in 3 weeks. Only 30-40 cows.
Hunted from the Mogollon Rim almost to Winslow.
Never saw even one Game Warden. I think most G&F Departments are all about revenue these days not quality hunts.

Appreciate the information. Pretty much what I have been told by others about the "high places" but was told it was loaded with elk. The success rate for last year was 100% according to fish and game.
I have been real disappointed with multiple state game entities over the last ten years. They have hyped this hunt as THE opportunity of a lifetime for a chance at 330+ bulls.
I hunted Arizona last year and have to say it was the worst hunt of my life. ATVs racing everywhere and I never saw one bull in 3 weeks. Only 30-40 cows.
Hunted from the Mogollon Rim almost to Winslow.
Never saw even one Game Warden. I think most G&F Departments are all about revenue these days not quality hunts.

Unit 40 has great bulls. There’s a reason for the terrible draw odds on regular tags. In the rut people can often find the bulls. Still doesn’t make it a layup, especially for guys like the family I’ve helped down there on a late cow hunt who had some physical challenges.

OP
J
My Rifle season starts Sept 15th. Should be start of the peak rut. I am no spring chicken and have a few physical challenges but I am capable of hiking in 5 miles. Been hiking almost everyday with 40 lbs of plates in my pack up and down some serious grades in the mountains around my house dodging some deadfall at least 3 miles a day some days 5 for the last two months. My dog loves me but it has been difficult working up to this much. 12 years ago I managed to get into the best shape of my life preparing for my Desert Bighorn hunt. Shot my Ram at 11,800 feet. Horses couldn't even go up that high. Had to pack it off the top myself.
This may be my last shot at a quality bull with accumulated points and such being what they are these days. I have one 6x6 hanging but he probably goes 315 or so. Lots of cows.

OP
J
Thanx,
Getting some good advice. Guess next year I will have to pay it forward to some other lucky individual if asked.