Idaho 40

idahomuleys

Lil-Rokslider
My wife is one of the lucky ones to draw a 40 November deer tag. I get the honor of doing the research and hard work while she's the one who gets to shoot a nice deer and get all the credit lol. Anybody have pointers for some areas to check out? We live in kuna so can hop over fairly quickly and will be able to make a couple trips over to just get a lay of the land. Ive been in 40 a handful of times but will be the first in November. Thanks for any tips!

Jayden

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

ElGuapo

Lil-Rokslider
I’m in the same boat. Brother in Law drew, and we’re trying to figure out the best 10 day window to bring in the Posse with the Optics

We’ll go in there and smash a nice buck, and I’ll be sure and let you know it’s not all doom and gloom

I hope you do, I’ve not seen anything worth justifying the low odds of drawing out there in recent times. Kinda sad how few deer there actually are in the owyhees these days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

freebird

WKR
I love unit 40. Drew it once and seen some really nice bucks, but nothing spoke to me, I shouldn't say that, two different big ones did, but one was at 500 yards and hauling butt with a doe and the other one was at 200 yards and up under some sage brush and doe's in front of him. Was hoping to draw it again this year. But nothing for me.

Archer86

WKR
My wife is one of the lucky ones to draw a 40 November deer tag. I get the honor of doing the research and hard work while she's the one who gets to shoot a nice deer and get all the credit lol. Anybody have pointers for some areas to check out? We live in kuna so can hop over fairly quickly and will be able to make a couple trips over to just get a lay of the land. Ive been in 40 a handful of times but will be the first in November. Thanks for any tips!

Jayden

I had this tag a few years ago. I will send you a pm with some info fairly hard tag to get so i don't mind sharing some of what I learned I had the tag in 2019 it was a struggle for me that year but I did see some good bucks and killed a decent one after 2 weeks.

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
I don't have a dog in the fight but my in-laws ranch a huge piece Of ground out there and I spend a lot of time in the unit. The deer outlook isn't great. Some big bucks will get killed but I would temper your dreams of a monster. You'll be very lucky to see 170 class bucks out there. They have some bucks turn up the very last few days but weather will probably decide which days are best not the calendar.

D-How200

FNG
Don't wait for the deer to be rutting hard you might miss it all together. Find the one you want early and kill it.

Wassid82

WKR
I've seen weather patterns affect those deer a lot. hope for an early snow. Some of the bigger deer I've seen out there have been after the 1st snow

SoloIdaho

FNG

Jayden

My son drew this tag. I've put in for almost 10 years, first time I put in for him and he got it. Everyone has mixed opinions on the unit, some say great area, some sound so down about the possibilities. We're just looking for a decent buck for him, not looking to set any records!

Good luck!

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
I don't have a dog in the fight but my in-laws ranch a huge piece Of ground out there and I spend a lot of time in the unit. The deer outlook isn't great. Some big bucks will get killed but I would temper your dreams of a monster. You'll be very lucky to see 170 class bucks out there. They have some bucks turn up the very last few days but weather will probably decide which days are best not the calendar.
Got any thoughts on bulls out there? I've got solid plans (I think) just curious your take on the bull numbers and quality. I drew the rifle tag that starts Oct 15th.

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
Got any thoughts on bulls out there? I've got solid plans (I think) just curious your take on the bull numbers and quality. I drew the rifle tag that starts Oct 15th.
I don't know the elk as well out there. I will say that it can be tough navigating the private ground and that you'll probably see a few with broken tines.

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
I don't know the elk as well out there. I will say that it can be tough navigating the private ground and that you'll probably see a few with broken tines.

Yeah lots of private land out there. Seems some is open to ride through and some isn't. I am trying to access the wilderness area from the north side but private may stop that and I'll have to drive all the way around to access from the south.

bow puller

Lil-Rokslider
My son drew this tag. I've put in for almost 10 years, first time I put in for him and he got it. Everyone has mixed opinions on the unit, some say great area, some sound so down about the possibilities. We're just looking for a decent buck for him, not looking to set any records!

Good luck!
I've helped a couple friends over a 20+ yr span on this hunt. Count me in the camp of it not quite being worth the odds to draw as of late but can be a fun hunt and there's just something about the mix of country that's cool.

I tell people if a good solid 150-160's buck will tickle your fancy (and it should for a lot of people), take it and be happy rather than rolling the dice. Good luck to your son and the others on the forum. Be sure to report back.

bow puller

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah lots of private land out there. Seems some is open to ride through and some isn't. I am trying to access the wilderness area from the north side but private may stop that and I'll have to drive all the way around to access from the south.
Best bet for that country is mud flat. On the sw side private land blocks many roads. Good luck

SoloIdaho

FNG
I've helped a couple friends over a 20+ yr span on this hunt. Count me in the camp of it not quite being worth the odds to draw as of late but can be a fun hunt and there's just something about the mix of country that's cool.

I tell people if a good solid 150-160's buck will tickle your fancy (and it should for a lot of people), take it and be happy rather than rolling the dice. Good luck to your son and the others on the forum. Be sure to report back.
20 years is a lot of knowledge and time out in those parts. Any recommendations for areas to stay out of? We've been trying to make sense of the private land boundaries and find the best routes to public. I'm expecting to see plenty of other hunters in the same area while we're there.

bow puller

Lil-Rokslider
I really don't believe there's an area to stay out of. I've seen bucks many different places in Nov either hunting or rzr/dirtbike riding. Speaking of there's a lot of off road activity in the silver city range in case anyone hasn't been out there. Still deer, just lot's of blm close the the big city to ride. Mud flat, bachman-flint, whiskey, cow crk, etc will see hunter traffic.

bow puller

Lil-Rokslider
How did the hunt go for everyone? I think there's a few on the thread with the tag

I know there was some weather and wind to contend with early

freebird

WKR
I heard of two killed, saw a picture of a big one killed over by Marsing. That thing is a real toad, I think it was shot the weekend before Thanksgiving, saw a a video of it the night before, it was running with another buck, the next day it took a dirt nap.