Idaho 54 Rifle Elk

I was lucky enough to finally draw this tag after several years of trying. I live in the northern part of the state and mostly hunt units 3/4. I have spent time down in 54 deer hunting all 3 seasons(archery my self, oct Rifle youth with my son, Nov Rifle with my wife). Have seen some elk on these hunts but have not seen many bulls. I have been planning all summer to spend about a week down there during September scouting and have landed in a situation where I have limited staff in my offices and just will not be able to take the time away from work if I plan to be gone for enough time to give this tag the attention it deserves in october/Nov.

I have some areas that I intend to check out, when I am able to get down there which won't likely be until around the opener now. Trying to find someone who I can bounce some ideas off of in terms of where may be a good central location to set up base camp so I'm not having to travel quite as far to get to prime areas, and be more efficient with my time in the unit. I plan to spend a majority of the season in the unit boots on the ground, and will be solo most of the time. I am even open to someone that may want to share camp, that may have the same tag, a cow tag or a deer tag and willing to share the info I know on the area in regard to the bucks.

Any ideas or help anyone may have would be greatly appreciated, not looking for spots in particular but mostly would like to bounce ideas off of some folks who are familiar with the area in order to possibly confirm my thoughts on areas/bull behavior during this hunt. Wiling to trade Clearwater steelhead fishing, or share a future panhandle elk camp with anyone of interest that is willing to help out.

OP
Idahowapiti
Yep I am definitely still planning to come down despite the havoc that the badger fire is putting on that area at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have a tag? Ive been in that unit a couple times and saw a few elk even though we weren't hunting them

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk
Yes, I drew the late bull tag but have heard that the success rates are dwindling and I haven't seen any yet this year (not even a cow). I'm obviously not in the right spot. I've seen moose, deer, and antelope galore.