Idaho application rules

willidru

WKR
For Idaho I have a license and am a non-resident. I applied for Big Horn sheep controlled hunt. Does this mean I can not apply for Moose, deer or elk in a controlled hunt? Just want to make sure I understand what I can do.

Interesting all the podcast I listen to had in depth discussion on all of the other states prior to the application process, but not much on Idaho. TRO had one Idaho guide that gave some info.

mntnguide

WKR
That is correct...you can only apply for ONE of the trophy species (sheep, moose, goat) OR you can apply for elk, deer and antelope.

OP
willidru

willidru

WKR
ok, thanks. I'm not sure if I like the rule or not. Seems good in the sense that you have to choose and therefore the pool is smaller and better drawing odds than other states and there is no preference for points. Then again $154 for a license to apply isn't cheap.

IDHUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
What's nice about Idaho is that you can still go buy a Deer or Elk tag whether you applied for them or not and hunt a general season and since you already bought the license all you need to do is buy the tag.

ok, thanks. I'm not sure if I like the rule or not. Seems good in the sense that you have to choose and therefore the pool is smaller and better drawing odds than other states and there is no preference for points. Then again $154 for a license to apply isn't cheap.
Get an OTC tag for deer or elk in the unit you applied for, if they have them, so you can learn the unit better and learn where big horns hang out for when you draw.

Mischief209

Lil-Rokslider
Rich outdoors had a podcast on idaho last week.

Edit.. Nevermind just re read your post and didnt catch TRO.

sneaky

"DADDY"
$154 would be the least of my worries. Fronting the NR fees for those species is the big hit. $2200 Is a tough sell for most, although they don't hold it for long. Nevada is more than Idaho to apply, and you can't do OTC in Nevada. I hunt Idaho and apply in Nevada. The

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

There's no animals in Idaho that's why there's very little publicity
This is a very true statement. I just buy tags for there because I feel bad about fishing for their salmon here in Washington, while they have almost no season for them at all. Also because I feel that if I killed an elk over there in September or October, while camping, it'd be the closest sensation to shooting a unicorn that a person might experience.