Idaho Archery Elk: According to most threads, all Elk Zones are overrun with hunters

Hey all,
I live south of CDA, ID. My friend from Ohio just informed me that he will be taking a trip out to Idaho next year to chase OTC archery elk with me. He is interested in a backcountry hunt, like most people these days. I would really like to bring him on a great mountain adventure and hopefully get into some Elk.
It seems to me, most of the elk zones that have some good backcountry also come with the warning of "TOO MANY PEOPLE". How true is this? Is this something I should try to ignore? I consider myself a creative/resourceful hunter, can I adapt around these "ZOO's OF HUNTERS"?
It is frustrating trying to research and keep an open mind when almost every unit your read about has "gone to trash".
Anyways, I have some zones in mind but keep getting discouraged. Any ideas, advice or encouragement welcome!

Stop reading the internet and go hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fullfan

WKR
Just returned from 22 days of hunting In Idaho. NO matter how far in we went 1 mile to 7 miles, we seen other hunters almost every day. Woke up at 3am and hiked 3 hours only to find two guys in a spike camp. Enjoyed the time I spent there.

Wrench

WKR
I've been in the same area for 3 years now and this year I did see more guys in the field than the previous 2 years combined.

I'm suspecting its a combination of covid time off and the one last hurrah before idaho prices go outside of the working class dad's budget.

With that said, the guys I ran into were all hunting and working for it and the two pair of guys I did run into on the hill were very nice and we shared intel and had a snack together.....easily guys I'd share camp with.

If you ran into a solo hunter with a longbow in the Joe....it may well have been me.

P Carter

WKR
Same experience, it was crowded this year. We saw guys in an area that was tough to get to and doesn’t get much pressure usually. Talked with one group, they were great. Another group had terrible calls and came right into a bull we were working...I had that dang thing at 50 yards but in Christmas tree reprod and couldn’t weave a shot through.

South Carolinians 2019, went to diamond creek zone. Hiked in 4 miles, saw 4 guys along the way. Hunted 6 days, saw 1 guy while hunting, simple wave and we moved on. We were in elk everyday. Within 10 mins of arriving to camp, had a spike walk the ridge above us. Several very close <50yd encounters but for various reasons didn't connect. Was very happy for our first elk hunt, diy, backcountry,etc etc. Just my experience.

Randle

WKR
We had more people where I hunted this year. I kind-of expected it with the food hoarding and all the talk of meat shortage. I am sure people are realizing that hunters are all that dumb.

Those browning BARS have seen many heated up days since they bought them in the 70s🤙 I was the outcast with a Remington and later tikka 🤩
I was going to comment on those. My hunting group is full of BARs. My son, 19, just went out a couple months ago to buy a new one. Ended up with a used one they had for sale. Serial number shows 1970. He Sighted it in and killed 2 Antelope with it a couple weeks later. We love those guns!!

Idaboy

WKR
Always funny when I hear about overcrowding🥳 yes roads and certain accessible places can be crowded get off the beaten path and do some brush busting and no worries you can get isolated...I’ve been driving the river road noted for 40 years since 1980 and yes lots of tourists hunters but not much for hardcore guys rest assured the 80s when I was the young guy there were many many large hunting camps with a lot more hardcore seasoned and Wiley wood veterans with felt hats than there are now...work hard see camp at dark only and you can Get plenty of opportunity....circa 1980 photo opening day🥳 The same young guys now very old a couple years backView attachment 215810View attachment 215811
The pie?!...what's the story with pie the guy on the left is holding?

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
The pie?!...what's the story with pie the guy on the left is holding?
Huckleberry pie no one is it prying it from this two Purple Heart Army Ranger👊

Attachments

• E1514000-B6C8-4350-9616-16C4F3A02159.jpeg
    E1514000-B6C8-4350-9616-16C4F3A02159.jpeg
    425.7 KB · Views: 47

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I spent first two days of rifle 4.5 miles in not a single hunter or camp seen back in....on the road yes👍

The10%

Lil-Rokslider
It seems a lot of hunters were disappointed with the amount of people this year in ID, I know I was. Couple that with the 30% increase for NR tags next year, and hopefully less covid closures and I would guess that there wont be as many hunters. By living there and being able to scout now, you should have no problem in finding some good areas to take your buddy.
Side note, it was mentioned that there is a cap on NR tags, that's true. But you have to remember that ID is gaining around 40k residents a year, how many of them hunt?

Cam107

Lil-Rokslider
Seems like when born and raised did there show, everyone and there dog took up archery and started elk hunting, go on to YouTube and there's so many videos now, they started a trend that exploded...

Seems like when born and raised did there show, everyone and there dog took up archery and started elk hunting, go on to YouTube and there's so many videos now, they started a trend that exploded...

It might have a modest impact but certainly not the biggest reason.

Population keeps increasing every year.

Rifle tags for bulls keep decreasing.

Covid has had a real impact. A lot of idle time on people’s hands. For example, I am still working but I don’t have kids sporting events to attend or coach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cam107

Lil-Rokslider
Idk, last year hunting wasn't bad, not alot of hunters this year around my area a sudden increase in bowhunters, I even know someone that has never done archery ran out and bought a bow and some arrows and started hunting but forgot to sight bow in and missed twice on elk, now his cousin is looking for a bow, call those instant bowhunters with no knowledge but keep asking me for advise😅