Idaho Archery Elk Early or Late September

I will be archery elk hunting solo for the second year in Central Idaho. I am a born and raised Idaho resident but this will be my second year in this area. Last year I hunted both early and late September and had 2 good but very different experiences. This year I am trying to pick a 10 day block and based on my experience last year I am torn. Obvious pros of both are likely less people in the woods, con would be early season warmer weather and late they are herded up. I will be primarily spot and stalk/ambush hunting but I will have my calls and I am a confident caller I just have chosen not to use this as my primary tactic in this country for various reasons. Thought it might be interesting to hear others perspectives on the early vs late September debate or why to hunt mid September for that matter. I should probably add my goal is simply to shoot a mature bull and pack it out alone. That being said meat care is a valid concern as where I am hunting it could take me a few days to get it all packed out.

Thanks!

Later IMO. I've noticed the last 4 years they're rutting later and later, at least up north. Hell, we've had them bugling in october last 2 years.

Fires might dictate time as well. Good luck man, hope you stick a monster.

brn2hnt

WKR
What are “typical” temps in early September where you’re at?

Sounds like that answers your question.

Plenty of studies on ambient temp and how many hrs to spoilage out there. Just work backwards from there and see what ballpark temps you would need for it to be feasible to take X hours to pack it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IdahoElk

WKR
Will you be above 9K? weather can be hit or miss the last week of Sept. in the high country here in central Id

OP
Eastman528
Will you be above 9K? weather can be hit or miss the last week of Sept. in the high country here in central Id
Between 7,500 and 10 so yes I will be atleast part of the time. It's snowed on me once last year last 5 days of season at about 8000

OP
Eastman528
Are you after any Elk or a herd bull?
A mature bull, whether or not he is a true "herd bull" doesn't matter to me so I guess situation dependent. I saw some good bulls late last year that were technically satellites that I would consider mature just by that time the true herd bulls the big boys had control of the harems.

IdahoElk

WKR
A mature bull, whether or not he is a true "herd bull" doesn't matter to me so I guess situation dependent. I saw some good bulls late last year that were technically satellites that I would consider mature just by that time the true herd bulls the big boys had control of the harems.
Then I would go the second half of the month when the mature bulls start to gather up cows.

IdahoElk

WKR
Between 7,500 and 10 so yes I will be atleast part of the time. It's snowed on me once last year last 5 days of season at about 8000
The mountain area that I hunt is 8500k+ and has its own weather, most years by the last week there is snow which makes things not so cushy but the mature bulls will have their cows and be going nuts.

ElkNut1

WKR
Get rid of the Deer hunting mentality! Bad idea to feel the two are the same during a Full Moon phase. When Full Moon & Rut dates coincide it's the easiest times to locate & kill elk, period! Last year was no different. On Sept 2nd we were near a full moon phase & called this bull to 25 yards, this is just one of dozens over the years!

ElkNut

Attachments

• IMG_1966.JPEG
    IMG_1966.JPEG
    488.8 KB · Views: 103
Get rid of the Deer hunting mentality! Bad idea to feel the two are the same during a Full Moon phase. When Full Moon & Rut dates coincide it's the easiest times to locate & kill elk, period! Last year was no different. On Sept 2nd we were near a full moon phase & called this bull to 25 yards, this is just one of dozens over the years!

ElkNut
Great bull!
Why is the full moon better for locating and calling in?

ElkNut1

WKR
When Full Moon & Rut dates coincide bulls can be found to be very vocal throughout the night thus giving away their positions. I like locating them an hour before light to an hour after first light at this time. 2/3 of killing elk is finding them, this can assist hunters greatly. Give me a Full Moon every year anytime from the 8-10th & on.

ElkNut

The mountain area that I hunt is 8500k+ and has its own weather, most years by the last week there is snow which makes things not so cushy but the mature bulls will have their cows and be going nuts.
Hey Idaho Elk, you have any suggestions for early cow hunt near irrigation in Unit 50? We changed from the Sawtooth tag this year to Pioneer Zone, too much pressure and traffic where we were. Thanks in Advance.

Wrench

WKR
How's the pressure in your area? I hunted the entire month of September and last week of August this year. I found bulls to be curios responders in the September 5th ish. They didn't come raging in, but were consistently responding....slowly.

The period from aug through September 15th or so was very lonely in the woods, few camps and good elk responses.

The last week was much more aggressive elk, but tons of guys. We had to work harder and smarter to get into the bulls....but we saw 4 mature (260-280) bulls just driving the 7 miles from camp to the spot I wanted to make my first play.

Pretty much just gotta show up and play the game.