Idaho backpack hunt

bdg848

WKR
Hey guys thanks for having me. I have been looking over harvest statistics, hunter numbers, etc. for a mule deer hunt in October. I had decided on a unit but then someone mentioned that there is a lot of 4-wheeler traffic in that unit. I will be on foot. I don't have access to an ATV and honestly that is not the type of experience I am looking for anyway. I am not afraid of a long hike, that being said, I would hate to hike way back in there just to have everyone and their brother kicking up dust and speeding around me on their ATVs. I am trying to figure out what units might have lower ATV traffic and would give me an edge if I'm willing to walk a little further than most people.

I know asking where to hunt is a whole big thing here so I won't do that but I'm not sure where to even look for that information. I haven't had any luck yet. Would you guys know any websites (Fish+Game, park service, recreational ATV trail map etc.) that I should look at to get a better idea?

Maybe all the units are about the same as far as ATVs and it doesn't really matter? In that case, I'll just make the best of it.

Thanks.

P.S. I have all my gear organized in my pack and have been hiking the local trails to get ready. Right now my pack seems suspiciously light....I am either forgetting a few items or am vastly under estimating how much more difficult the mountains will be haha. I suspect its the latter. I will just keep training and hoping that will be enough.

Whenever I feel like I need to beat crowds and get away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life, shoot 165 mule deer buck, camp out, look at the stars, drink a little peat, maybe catch a few trout, glass/photograph mtn goats and bighorns from camp while I drink my coffee there’s only two places I know of and I always go to cannonball creek headwaters 1st and otherwise I go to smith creek. We are always the only ones there during general rifle and we usually fill 3-4 tags.

OP
B

bdg848

WKR
Thanks guys, I had looked at the hunt planner and can see the trails but must have missed the vehicle restriction part. I will have to go look again.

PMcGee

WKR
Just because a road says it’s closed to motorized doesn’t mean there won’t be people riding on them. We had 2 groups of dirt bikes go past us last year on a closed trail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Are you backpack hunting the general season in Oct? Have you been to the area/elevation of the area you are planning on hunting? Some elevations and area get pretty damn cold during the general rifle season.

I had a similar plan my first year hunting the general mule deer season in Idaho. I picked out a wilderness area and thought I had done my homework. I hiked up there and the ridge I picked out had 8 inches of blowing snow and it was probably in the high 20's. Have a lower elevation plan B if the weather comes early.

dpidaho

FNG
I've had pretty good luck using dirt bike only trails. a lot less people then on atv trails? how heavy is your pack without food/water/weapon? mine comes in around 30 lbs with camp. but I don't have an ultralightweight bag or pad.