Idaho Bear Densities

Did you end up harvesting a bear?
Not yet. Was into the elk last week when we ran into the bears and buddy's elk hunt was the priority for how far we were from the ATV.

Last Sunday, another buddy invited me to go with him and his hounds, but the trip was cut short after only seeing one bear due to a hound suffering a medical emergency.

idahomuleys

Lil-Rokslider
39- high density, high age class in certain areas, low age class in others.

43- high density, lower age class.

36- low density the places I've been

Other parts of sawtooth zone- high density with good age class

Mcall zone- high density high age class if you know where to look

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
My plan A was to spring bear hunt unit 1, but now looking at the regs i see units 10 and 12 have not only bear, but cougar and wolf both open through june 30th too. Then 7 and 9 bear is open through july 31. So now im thinking i might want to just buy the reduced tags and focus on units 10 & 12 initially, as ill be calling bears, and would like the option of tagging wolf and lion too. So, never having been in units 10/12, is the bear density good there? And are there many grizz around? And what about 7/9? The fact that they stay open through july 31 leads me to believe they probably have a lot of bears.

Last edited:

Dadnstuff

Lil-Rokslider
Any insight on 28 in Salmon? I’m headed there soon for bear, followed by deer. I’ve got about 5 days to hunt.

jaredg

Lil-Rokslider
In response to unit 28 Salmon
I hunted North Fork (Salmon) for years. Never shot one (handgun hunting in tree stand over bait). But there are a ton of bears in the area. I just never had the time to put in to fill the tag. Bears all day every day on trail cam

ebubedike

FNG
Unit 8 is loaded with bears. I lived there but I baited. I never saw many when I was hiking but it was easy to see them when using bait ( which I understand you will not be doing).
If I remember correctly, I only hunted 3 times and took 2 (one with a bow).
There is bear sign everywhere (poop, stumps tore up, etc...) in that unit. 8A is every bit as good as well as far as sign. I spent most my time hunting whitetails in 8A. But you couldn't bait in that unit so I never hunted them there.
It was years ago but I doubt much has changed.

kct802

FNG
Hey guys,

I know this is old but maybe someone is still on here. Im planning on hunting the panhandle this spring for black bears, anyone have any experience up there? Densities, Challenges?

EdP

WKR
A statewide tag is $186 for a non-res. Limit one. In northern Idaho (panhandle and a bit below) there are a number of 2 tag zones. Tags are $41.50 each non-res price and are OTC. I don't think that's due to low bear populatons in those zones.

Believe it or not but i seen close to 10 bears in the beaverhead this elk season. If elk wasn't my priority and I carried a rifle I could have killed a bear almost every day I was in there. All but one seemed to be on the low end of age class weighing between 75-150lbs.

A statewide tag is $186 for a non-res. Limit one. In northern Idaho (panhandle and a bit below) there are a number of 2 tag zones. Tags are $41.50 each non-res price and are OTC. I don't think that's due to low bear populatons in those zones.
231$ for nonresident this year

I hate asking for advice, but I was wondering if anybody’s hunted Unit 11 before for spring. Scrolling and searching through tons of threads on different forums, no one really talks about it.

Is that because it has a pretty low density, or because it’s extremely rough terrain to hunt?

Been looking at all threads on here on unit 10. I’m looking at a few specific spots if anyone knows that unit well and wants to pm me I’d appreciate it.
Thanks, Nolan!