Idaho bear hide requirement

slim9300

WKR
Has anyone ever asked Idaho F&G if it’s legal to only take the section of the hide on the belly that includes the proof of sex? Say a 12”x12” section. The regs do not state that the entire hide must be taken and I don’t need another rug. I have one and unless it’s a perfect color phase, I don’t need another one. If I get to hunt this spring, I will be deep and I’m mainly in it for the meat and skull.

I would call but as you can imagine they are a tad busy right now dealing with pissed off people.

9fa2fca4b87841fb6c959840568f0f6b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
slim9300

slim9300

WKR
So call and leave a message.
Biologist called me back yesterday.

I will speak with someone well before my planned trip and update this thread once that occurs if someone hasn’t already given insight.

I spent over an hour on the phone with an Idaho bio last season discussing bear areas. I did not think to ask the question last year.

lang

Lil-Rokslider
You should ask about wolves too. I've been wondering with the later seasons now if you need to pack all of it.

OP
slim9300

slim9300

WKR
You should ask about wolves too. I've been wondering with the later seasons now if you need to pack all of it.

Will do. Good idea, although I’m packing a complete wolf hide if I kill one. I have been buying a damn tag now for years and haven’t even seen one despite covering a ton of miles in serious wolf country. I hear they are worth about $1000, plus I would tan it in preparation for a full body mount either way.

Honestly I don’t think there is anything they can do if you weren’t to pack the entire bear hide until they amend the regs. But I’ll ask anyways.

lang

Lil-Rokslider
Had and wolf come into my bait last year just after the season. Not quite as impressive as one in Feb.

Attachments

• WP_20190801_18_40_34_Pro.jpg
    WP_20190801_18_40_34_Pro.jpg
    356.2 KB · Views: 72
OP
slim9300

slim9300

WKR
Update:

I spoke with biologist Brian Knoth in the Clearwater Regional Office. He was very friendly and helpful. He had to pose my question to the officer at that location George Fischer and call me back.

I explained that I would be in the remote backcountry and planned on taking out the skull and meat (I wanted them to know that I wasn’t being wasteful) but that I wanted to take the partial hide that included proof of sex in the event the hide wasn’t good or if I was too far back in.

When I received a call back the answer was as follows:

You can absolutely take a partial hide in ID as long as it includes proof of sex.

You can also take the partial skull. Only the lower jaw is necessary for check in.

Last edited:

kylem

Lil-Rokslider
I did that last year with my spring bear. I was about 5 miles in on a weekend hunt and didn't want to make a second trip back in just to get the hide out so I took about a 10"x10" piece with evidence of sex attatched. I am much more concerned with getting all the meat out than the hide.

OP
slim9300

slim9300

WKR
I did that last year with my spring bear. I was about 5 miles in on a weekend hunt and didn't want to make a second trip back in just to get the hide out so I took about a 10"x10" piece with evidence of sex attatched. I am much more concerned with getting all the meat out than the hide.

Good to know. I had a bunch of people tell me I was wrong before I got confirmation that I wasn’t.

Pulv

FNG
Update:

I spoke with biologist Brian Knoth in the Clearwater Regional Office. He was very friendly and helpful. He had to pose my question to the officer at that location George Fischer and call me back.

I explained that I would be in the remote backcountry and planned on taking out the skull and meat (I wanted them to know that I wasn’t being wasteful) but that I wanted to take the partial hide that included proof of sex in the event the hide wasn’t good or if I was too far back in.

You can absolutely take a partial hide in ID as long as it includes proof of sex.

You can also take the partial skull. Only the lower jaw is necessary for check in.

Thanks for the update!

This is an interesting take as I have been packing my hides out for over a decade to get them checked. I noticed on the GRITTY bear hunts they rarely pack out hides at all. I would want documentation from a CO to do this as it clearly states otherwise in the regulations.

OP
slim9300

slim9300

WKR
This is an interesting take as I have been packing my hides out for over a decade to get them checked. I noticed on the GRITTY bear hunts they rarely pack out hides at all. I would want documentation from a CO to do this as it clearly states otherwise in the regulations.

No it does not. We already went over this.

Update:

Thanks Slim!

rclouse79

WKR
Thank you for posting this. I love bear hunting for the experience, meat, bear grease, skull and claws. I am in the same boat as you as far as the hide. I am planning a backcountry trip with a friend where we are planning to be 7 miles from the trailhead. It will be nice if we don't have to pack out the entire hide if we are successful.

Erict

WKR
What is published in hunting "guide books" is typically the boiled down version of the actual law or regulation or code. Here is what applies in this case:

Idaho Administrative Code, IDAPA 13.01.08 - Rules Governing the Taking of Big Game Animals states, in part, that the tag must be attached to the hide until the mandatory check is completed, and "350 (e) For black bear, grizzly bear, mountain lion, and gray wolf, external evidence of sex (either scrotum, penis or testicles for males, or udder or vulva for females) must be left naturally attached to the hide until the mandatory check has been complied with."

Further, "420. MANDATORY CHECK AND REPORT REQUIREMENTS.

Any person killing black bear, moose, bighorn sheep, mountain goat, gray wolf, or mountain lion in a unit with no quota, must, within ten (10) days of the date of kill, or any person killing mountain lion in a unit with a quota, or a grizzly bear, must, within five (5) days of the date of kill comply with the mandatory check and report requirements by:

01. Harvest Report. Completing the relevant harvest report (big game mortality report or other report form as required) for the species taken.

02. Presentation of Animal Parts. Presenting the following animal parts so that Department personnel may collect biological data and mark the animal parts:

a. Black Bear: Skull and hide to be presented to a conservation officer, regional office or official check point for removal and retention of premolar tooth and to have the hide marked."

OP
slim9300

slim9300

WKR
What is published in hunting "guide books" is typically the boiled down version of the actual law or regulation or code. Here is what applies in this case:

Idaho Administrative Code, IDAPA 13.01.08 - Rules Governing the Taking of Big Game Animals states, in part, that the tag must be attached to the hide until the mandatory check is completed, and "350 (e) For black bear, grizzly bear, mountain lion, and gray wolf, external evidence of sex (either scrotum, penis or testicles for males, or udder or vulva for females) must be left naturally attached to the hide until the mandatory check has been complied with."

Further, "420. MANDATORY CHECK AND REPORT REQUIREMENTS.

Any person killing black bear, moose, bighorn sheep, mountain goat, gray wolf, or mountain lion in a unit with no quota, must, within ten (10) days of the date of kill, or any person killing mountain lion in a unit with a quota, or a grizzly bear, must, within five (5) days of the date of kill comply with the mandatory check and report requirements by:

01. Harvest Report. Completing the relevant harvest report (big game mortality report or other report form as required) for the species taken.

02. Presentation of Animal Parts. Presenting the following animal parts so that Department personnel may collect biological data and mark the animal parts:

a. Black Bear: Skull and hide to be presented to a conservation officer, regional office or official check point for removal and retention of premolar tooth and to have the hide marked."

Thank you for sharing this. It’s good to see that the official statute does not conflict with what I was told by the biologist and game warden.