Idaho Bear hunt outfitter recommendation

Doepee

FNG
I am looking to go on a hunt with my Dad for his 70th birthday, and he has been wanting to do a bear hunt. We live in MO and plan on driving. I really like the options in Idaho and the likelihood for success. We will not be trophy hunters, more so just looking for a nice representation of the species. I like that we could spot and stalk or use a bait site in ID. My dad is in good physical shape and will have no problem hiking but age is also starting to catch him so I would like to find a good balance and not push it too hard. Would love to hear any recommendations of outfitters or if someone has a recommendation of other states and outfitters I would be happy to hear it. I would prefer a fall hunt, but if spring is the best option I can make that work for 2024. I have heard good things about both York Outfitters and White Cloud Outfitters and plan on reaching out to them.

bpurtz

WKR
Hope you are able to find a cool adventure with you dad! Several years ago I bought a bear hunt voucher with Silver Fox Outfitters (Alberta Canada) with the plan to turn it into a moose hunt. The moose hunt dates didn't work out so I ended up going on a bear hunt.

Honestly, it's not really a hunt - you sit in a tree stand over bait and wait for the bear that you want to take. Most of the hunters are a dad with his teenager using a rifle. If you really want to get something and/or your dad has difficulty getting around, this outfit is probably close to 100% success rate. I ended up shooting a bear with my recurve and a 2nd bear with my compound.

I've been on 2 outfitter drop camp hunts in Idaho and haven't killed a bear on either - which was fine - they were still cool adventures.

But, if you want to kill a bear (or 2) - Alberta is probably a good place to look. It's a hellaciously long drive to Northern Alberta but kind of a cool travel adventure as well.

OP
Doepee

Doepee

FNG
Thanks for all the replies and info. It looks like we will be planning this for spring of 2024.