Idaho Bull Load Development

coacht84

FNG
@sabotloader I was out today trying to work up a bull elk load for my CVA Wolf and got the best groups with T7 80 gn by volume pushing 460 gn No Excuses. I had started at 90 worked up to 110 and groups just worse so I jumped back down to 80 and had a tight group at 85 yds. I was originally worried that the charge is too light for terminal performance, but I saw in another post that what you are shooting is the same charge and bullet weight. Thanks for giving me hope. I didn't want to hijack that post and figured I would ask you about it publicly in case it can help someone else. Anything I am missing or should worry about?
b4f18d31a2eccd5a6bc892ec456812bc.jpg

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

OP
C

coacht84

FNG
Open to any and all other guys input too. Thanks.

@sabotloader I was out today trying to work up a bull elk load for my CVA Wolf and got the best groups with T7 80 gn by volume pushing 460 gn No Excuses. I had started at 90 worked up to 110 and groups just worse so I jumped back down to 80 and had a tight group at 85 yds. I was originally worried that the charge is too light for terminal performance, but I saw in another post that what you are shooting is the same charge and bullet weight. Thanks for giving me hope. I didn't want to hijack that post and figured I would ask you about it publicly in case it can help someone else. Anything I am missing or should worry about?

That load should really do the job well for you. Even though you might feel you are shooting a light load of powder it really is a significant charge. You really shouldn't push those lead conical up the bore to quickly or you will start developing lead fouling in the bore. 80 grains combined with weight of the conical will produce a pressure response.

In the last year or two I have been suggesting the Bull Shop .50? x 400 gr. LGP as a really good bullet of choice. the reduction of weight significantly increases the range I can shoot with regular rifle open sights.

A good friend of mine recovered this Bull Shop .503x400 LGP an elk shot at 185 yards.

Bullshop_503x400LGP.jpg

Nesbit-Bull.jpg

OP
C

coacht84

FNG
That load should really do the job well for you. Even though you might feel you are shooting a light load of powder it really is a significant charge. You really shouldn't push those lead conical up the bore to quickly or you will start developing lead fouling in the bore. 80 grains combined with weight of the conical will produce a pressure response.

In the last year or two I have been suggesting the Bull Shop .50? x 400 gr. LGP as a really good bullet of choice. the reduction of weight significantly increases the range I can shoot with regular rifle open sights.

A good friend of mine recovered this Bull Shop .503x400 LGP an elk shot at 185 yards.

Bullshop_503x400LGP.jpg

Nesbit-Bull.jpg
Awesome. Thanks for the response and info.

coyote_out

Lil-Rokslider
[mention]sabotloader [/mention] could post a picture of the bullets you mentioned? Thinking about ordering some but want to make sure it is what I am looking for. Also, I am guessing that name is what would be needed for ordering? Any other information required?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[mention]sabotloader [/mention] could post a picture of the bullets you mentioned? Thinking about ordering some but want to make sure it is what I am looking for. Also, I am guessing that name is what would be needed for ordering? Any other information required?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The bullets I was suggesting is a Bull Shop .503x400gr LGP they also make a 460 that lot of Traditional shooters use. I really like the 400's.

This picture shows some of the more popular bullets that Bullshop Dan fabricates.

Bull-Shop-Bullets.jpg

This link will send you to his site. It is kinda hard to navigate. Select 'more' and you will get a drop down list of bullets.

This is the bullet I am talking about

Bullshop-503x400-LGP.jpg

I use a 50 cal MMP Sub Bridge under the bullet to seal the gas and prevent the powder from melting the lead bottom of the bullet.

MMP-Sub-Bridge-Composit.jpg

Hope some of this helps....

Last edited:

jr8fish

Lil-Rokslider
The bullets I was suggesting is a Bull Shop .503x400gr LGP they also make a 460 that lot of Traditional shooters use. I really like the 400's.

This picture shows some of the more popular bullets that Bullshop Dan fabricates.

Bull-Shop-Bullets.jpg

This link will send you to his site. It is kinda hard to navigate. Select 'more' and you will get a drop down list of bullets.

This is the bullet I am talking about

Bullshop-503x400-LGP.jpg

I use a 50 cal MMP Sub Bridge under the bullet to seal the gas and prevent the powder from melting the lead bottom of the bullet.

Hope some of this helps....
This is rad. Sending you a pm Sabotloader

Dented

WKR
Sabot,
What powder and how much are you using with those 400's in your UL?

Sabot,
What powder and how much are you using with those 400's in your UL?

I know I should lessen the load when shooting lead, but with Dan's NASA lube I have never had a leading problem. I do also use a MMP Ballistic Sub-Bridge under the bullet, to keep the powder from melting the bottom of the bullet.

You can see the impression of the sub-base on the bottom of this recovered 400 gr. Bull Shop.

Bullshop_503x400LGP.jpg

These sub bases are legal in Idaho because they are not attached to the bullet.

I KNOW that paper patching works well and there are shooters that swear by it, but I have never ventured that far into it. For hunting and hunting at the ranges I comfortable with (out to 200 yards) the simple thing I do work very well.

ole hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I've shot the bull shop 460 gr 90gr t7 with a waxed paper base , and with out and the differences is 5 shots to 3 shots with running a cleaning patch to shoot at the range . my ULTRA LITE doesn't car what I shoot out of it. so when in a hurry to reload I don't worry about a base wad . my Testing. Yes I clean barrel and do patch when I have the time. and run fouling shot or it will shoot high . OREGON made the Hornady FPB legal so I remove polymer tip and shoot the 350 gr bullet very happy with the results from it .I do resize them before using or hard to start .