Idaho check stations near unit 17

Going to Idaho in a few weeks for a bear hunt - I can't for the life of me find a listing of the check stations if we are successful in shooting any bears. I called FNG and they said the closest one was in Missoula MT at Sportsmans Warehouse. Anyone else have any suggestions for other "near by" check stations?

Going to Idaho in a few weeks for a bear hunt - I can't for the life of me find a listing of the check stations if we are successful in shooting any bears. I called FNG and they said the closest one was in Missoula MT at Sportsmans Warehouse. Anyone else have any suggestions for other "near by" check stations?
Seems odd that the nearest check station would be in a different state?!

npm352

WKR
I would check the bear in at an Idaho check station.

idcuda

WKR
If you get one, call a warden.
I agree. I think the check stations they're referring to are the temporary ones that are set up to check hunters in the Fall. I've never seen one in the Spring. Other option is a regional office, but nothing close to 17.

You have to can go to a regional fish and game office. https://idfg.idaho.gov/offices Depending on how you access 17, your closest is probably either Lewiston or Salmon. I had to drive 2.5 hours from unit 12 to get mine checked.

Last edited:

freddyG

WKR
17 is a huge unit. Your location will matter. Rae Brothers in Grangeville Checks in bears, cats etc.

OP
L
We'll be coming in from the east and will be just about 5 miles from the MT border. I'll call them again and see what the next FNG person says. I asked him if he was sure it was Missoula MT and he confirmed it was. I have no clue how these things work out west but sure seemed odd to me. Thanks fellas!

PablitoPescador

Lil-Rokslider
Bears are managed at the state level so there’s definitely no way you can check an Idaho bear in with Montana FWP. Seems odd indeed

A lot of people from MT hunt bear in Idaho due to no baiting in MT but baiting in Idaho. Could explain it?

There are many sporting goods and firearms stores that are set up to check bears. It doesn't have to be an IDFG employee who pulls the tooth and fills out the harvest report. It is usually an employee of the store who pulls the premolar tooth and records the harvest report (length, sex, color, unit, etc.) It does not surprise me that there are authorized check stations in Missoula or other out of state locations.

just make sure you call ahead of time, there are times when there isnt someone there who can do it for you.