Idaho controlled hunt app fee's

VANDAL

WKR
I just finished my Idaho deer and elk controlled hunt applications. The cost was $6.25 per species. This seems ridiculously cheap...does anyone else think the same? Today at a Maverick I bought a Gatorade, cashews and snickers and it was over 6 bucks.

I remember my economics professor lecturing about the concept of consumer surplus. The difference between what people actually pay and what they would pay for a specific good or service. Companies spend millions every year to gain this information.

It feels like the F&G is leaving money on the table. I would have zero problem if they significantly increased this amount (double, tripled, x5) as long as any additional revenue is put to good use...such as additional wardens to regulate road/trail closures, poaching incidents, winter closures, etc. Idaho is a red state, but when it comes to hunting I don't think more regulation is a bad thing. For example- when I hunt in Colorado I see the same wardens every year (3-4). Before the season begins they do their homework- what tags I have, my history, and they monitor the vehicles/area closely. I think this is because they have more resources. I have absolutely no problem with this.

As they say...you get what you pay for. In my opinion in Idaho its more of a cultural problem/obstacle vs a consumer spending problem.

What does everyone else think? Do any of you recall a tag/permit/application pricing survey from the Idaho F&G?

Thanks

Idahohillboy

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah you would be fine with it until you did not draw for 10 years in a row. Idaho makes up with it on the surplus of out of state otc tags. If you do draw you pay the fee. Idaho's costs are fine. Colorado draw is rediculously costly even for those of us that make great money. If Idaho should do anything they should require a 3 year wait time between species to re apply so that some of us who have applied year after year actually do get to draw. I have frieds who have drawn over 5 tags to my zero. I am not up for more cost on the draw just my 2 cents.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

I like cheap tags. I like being able to afford to hunt. Nothing is stopping you from donating money if you feel the need. I also like the fact I rarely see a fish and game jerk. Unlike you, I don't like being harassed while enjoying the outdoors. I would also like to see less road closures. I know California has all the things you are looking for in a state.....you should move there....or Colorado. Don't change what works here in the great State of Idaho.

vanish

WKR
VANDAL - Are you an Idaho resident?

I see how Colorado is mentioned as expensive, but its only a $3 app fee per species for a resident.

I disagree, $6.25 is cheap. But i just spent $113 just to get my little family (3) put in, next year will add 1 more person to the mix so that price will go up again along with licence fees. Now compared to other states yes we are cheap but that is why i don't (cant afford) put in for out of state hunts. I like the way Idaho does it, and as stated before you can always donate if you feel the need.

bigdesert10

Lil-Rokslider
I think it's just about right. You're paying for a chance. A higher price is fine if it's a sure thing, but it's not. It's just a chance.

I especially don't want to pay more to be hassled more by an increased number of conservation officers. I could maybe justify it if it just went to research and efforts to improve habitat and opportunities for hunters, but I'm not willing to spend more of my money just so I can be hassled and interrogated every time I turn around. Don't get me wrong, I believe the IDFG does a fine job and I recognize that we're on the same side. I just know there are a number of young CO's that think everyone is guilty of something as soon as they buy a license, and I don't want those types to be wasting my time when I'm in the middle of legal, ethical pursuit.

On the topic of wait periods, every person who applies for a hunt in Idaho has an equal chance with everybody else who applies for that hunt. I like the fact that every year, I have a chance. I might only draw 1 in 4 years, but I have a chance every year. My advice would be to either apply for hunts with better drawing odds or keep applying for low odds draws but have a good general season back-up plan.

I'm sure I'm biased just because it's what I'm used to, but I'm pretty happy with Idaho's system. No stupid points systems and all the problems that come with that bullcrap. Just a good chance at doing some quality hunting every year, if you're a resident. Esto Perpetua.

OP
V

VANDAL

WKR
I am an Idaho resident.

I do like Idaho's draw system and the hunting opportunities that are available. I know the commission has/is considering auction tags for trophy hunts on big game species. I'm not totally opposed to this as long as it is capped to a limited amount. Unfortunately I think once it starts it will be tough to stop increasing auction tags year after year (similar to Utah).

It just seems there are other areas where the fish and game could increase prices to generate revenue.

As for being harassed by fish and game officers, I've never been bothered by their presence. I've left the mountains more ticked off at seeing others not following rules while hunting/shed hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigdesert10

Lil-Rokslider
I am an Idaho resident.

I do like Idaho's draw system and the hunting opportunities that are available. I know the commission has/is considering auction tags for trophy hunts on big game species. I'm not totally opposed to this as long as it is capped to a limited amount. Unfortunately I think once it starts it will be tough to stop increasing auction tags year after year (similar to Utah).

It just seems there are other areas where the fish and game could increase prices to generate revenue.

As for being harassed by fish and game officers, I've never been bothered by their presence. I've left the mountains more ticked off at seeing others not following rules while hunting/shed hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I'm not a fan of auction tags, myself. I just feel if we don't draw the line somewhere, we'll be lulled into Utah's condition. I understand what you're saying, though. They did just increase license fees and added the once-per-year $5 depredation fee, to be fair. I don't disagree that unethical hunters are more frustrating than F&G breathing down your neck, but I don't think more officers is the solution. Self-policing, reporting and cultural reinforcement of good ethics is a better answer. But I'm one of those red-state "more government is never the answer" types.

Idahohillboy

Lil-Rokslider
I am fomer native born Idahoan lived tgere 27 years still own a house there. I do not live there for the past 11 years. I have put for easy to draw hunts my entire career on both elk and deer both as res and non res. Never drawn. I do not want points either just better opportunity. Some people I know have put in over 20 times. Idaho has so much oportunity if you dont draw so if you hav3 to sit out a few years for a draw to share the wealth I am for it. Now had I drawn a few times my whole outlook could be dif just saying. Tgey need more opportunity on archery draws more tags, less rifle imo. I am not IDFG just a guy who has hunted Idaho since I was 12 every season except one.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

bigdesert10

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, I hear you there, actually. I generally seem to draw less frequently than the laws of probability predict. I guess I'm just not dissatisfied enough to venture into new systems that may have unintended consequences. Just a case of working with the devil you know rather than the one you don't.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
You want to be frustrated go to utahs system where quality=money for special interests. Sure draw a tag and have an amazing experience but waiting 15 years is nothing. Also no easy draws while you wait for that special hunt. I'd rather have a opportunity based system than wait half a lifetime to draw a elk tag.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

muddydogs

WKR
You want to be frustrated go to utahs system where quality=money for special interests. Sure draw a tag and have an amazing experience but waiting 15 years is nothing. Also no easy draws while you wait for that special hunt. I'd rather have a opportunity based system than wait half a lifetime to draw a elk tag.

What do you mean there are no easy draws while waiting for a special hunt? There's OTC elk and its easy to draw a deer tag almost every year and a cow tag every other year or so. No system is perfect, I bet there's a ton of people that go there whole life in Idaho and never draw a good tag.
Auction tags can raise a lot of cash for wildlife and its not like Utah auctions off a bunch of them. In my opinion is someone wants to pay 1/4 of a million to go shoot a deer on Antelope Island then more power to them as long as the proceeds are used for wildlife and not put in some broke state fund.
I think a lot of the issue these days is everyone is looking for a trophy animal instead of a trophy hunt. If I can get away from work and life for a couple weeks in the fall I'm happy, if I get the chance to take an animal I'm even happier but it doesn't need to be some TV show trophy.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Otc archery elk with the majority spike/cow only. Did you look at the draw odds for general deer this year without the loophole one point doesn't draw a tag in the majority of the state. We have built a pyramid scheme for LE tags. Half and half system is has overloaded the top end of point holders. Idaho has a equal chance for first time youth to 80 year olds. Idaho is managing for opportunity with limited management be for trophy quilty. Less trophy units less tags in the draw. Your current system steals non residents opportunity and the funds have no accountability. Do you support sfw to benefit from the expo instead of rmef who promised a 100% return to wildlife? Seems like some corruption somewhere.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
One day Utah system will change you can count on it.
Sorry for ranting. Idaho has a great system for the avg person vs the happy I just finally got any tag Utah system.

Last edited:

TheTone

WKR
. I don't disagree that unethical hunters are more frustrating than F&G breathing down your neck, but I don't think more officers is the solution. Self-policing, reporting and cultural reinforcement of good ethics is a better answer. But I'm one of those red-state "more government is never the answer" types.

If only that actually happened here. Unfortunately we have way too many that find poaching acceptable, tolerable and sometimes seem more willing to help cover for someone than turn them in. So much of it here is cultural and learned bad behavior.

I love Idaho's draw system, and I am rarely lucky enough to get a tag of any kind. I only wish they would change one thing. There are several units statewide that are a draw for rifle mule deer, but the archery season that runs for a month before rifle is usually general or unlimited draw. Seems kind of contrary to the end goal of maintaining a lot of trophy bucks if anyone can hunt these units every year, some with a rifle and most others with a bow. If the archery were on a draw it would increase the trophy quality and send more of the hunters that drew home with a nice set of antlers in the bed of the pickup. I realize that the archery hunters are far less successful than gun guys and gals, but the droves of hunters starting Aug 30th can't help out the folks who put in for years for rifle and have to wait till after thousands of archery hunters have stomped the units out for their "premium" hunt. Just my 2 cents. For the most part I love hunting Idaho. I can hunt a wide variety of species for almost 5 months a year and catch steelhead, salmon, and sturgeon in my downtime.

bigdesert10

Lil-Rokslider
I love Idaho's draw system, and I am rarely lucky enough to get a tag of any kind. I only wish they would change one thing. There are several units statewide that are a draw for rifle mule deer, but the archery season that runs for a month before rifle is usually general or unlimited draw. Seems kind of contrary to the end goal of maintaining a lot of trophy bucks if anyone can hunt these units every year, some with a rifle and most others with a bow. If the archery were on a draw it would increase the trophy quality and send more of the hunters that drew home with a nice set of antlers in the bed of the pickup. I realize that the archery hunters are far less successful than gun guys and gals, but the droves of hunters starting Aug 30th can't help out the folks who put in for years for rifle and have to wait till after thousands of archery hunters have stomped the units out for their "premium" hunt. Just my 2 cents. For the most part I love hunting Idaho. I can hunt a wide variety of species for almost 5 months a year and catch steelhead, salmon, and sturgeon in my downtime.

For the most part, IDFG manages for opportunity, rather than quality. Frankly, I prefer it that way, as I believe most Idahoans do. I would rather hunt every year and shoot 3 point muleys to put meat in my freezer than only hunt every 3 years but shoot a wall hanger. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I just don't really crave trophy class animals to the point where I would be willing to sacrifice frequency of my hunts and time in the field. Yeah it's cool if you come across something big, and people do every year in Idaho, but managing for quality means fewer tags to go around. Ask Utahns how that works out.

I'm not advocating that it go draw statewide or anything ludicrous like that. I'm saying that the few units that are supposedly managed for trophy animals should be a draw regardless of weapon choice. That still leaves the vast majority of the state on a general OTC tag. It would not really "take away" opportunity, you could still hunt 50+ units statewide just by purchasing a tag at Walmart.

Rob T

FNG
This is a great thread with a great deal of though. My two cents: Fish and Game gets hammered every time it asks for a fee increase, making the department a bit gun shy. Fortunately, this year Virgil Moore's crew was able to get a fee increase through the Legislature. It is a great compromise that will help pay for depredation, depredation prevention and access. Finally, I agree with shooter19802003: If people want to help Fish and Game, they can donate. That goes for time and money.
Good thread. Thanks.