Idaho Controlled Hunts alone vs group?

kvw4x4

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys, hunted idaho for a couple years archery otc, this year that got messed up. Im wondering about draw odds for a controlled hunt, the unit i hunted archery has a rifle controlled hunt, is it worth putting in alone or as a group? Obviously certain groups are to big but can like 3 or 4 guys putting in together vs 1 guy be to our advatage? Would love to hear on anyones feed back on this situation. Thanks Kevin

Hey guys, hunted idaho for a couple years archery otc, this year that got messed up. Im wondering about draw odds for a controlled hunt, the unit i hunted archery has a rifle controlled hunt, is it worth putting in alone or as a group? Obviously certain groups are to big but can like 3 or 4 guys putting in together vs 1 guy be to our advatage? Would love to hear on anyones feed back on this situation. Thanks Kevin
The more guys in your group application the less your odds of drawing. Especially as a non resident. You’re already set to 10% or less of the tags so if there’s only 4 non resident tags in the unit you guys are out of the draw as soon as one non resident draw. Your best bet for tags is for all four guys to put in separate and go help and have fun with whoever draws. Unless it’s my unit then don’t put in 😉 Just kidding lol

OP
kvw4x4

kvw4x4

Lil-Rokslider
The more guys in your group application the less your odds of drawing. Especially as a non resident. You’re already set to 10% or less of the tags so if there’s only 4 non resident tags in the unit you guys are out of the draw as soon as one non resident draw. Your best bet for tags is for all four guys to put in separate and go help and have fun with whoever draws. Unless it’s my unit then don’t put in 😉 Just kidding lol
I have been hunting a very good elk unit. What if I know my unit gives out 10 or more non resident tags?

I have been hunting a very good elk unit. What if I know my unit gives out 10 or more non resident tags?
You still have less odds than applying alone. If there’s less than 4 tags left when you get drawn then they go to the next applicant. A lot of non residents apply in groups too so the 10% cap gets met fast.

moscowman

FNG
I think the odds are about the same either way. If you HAVE to have your whole group there, then put in together. If not go alone in the draw. Also check out the leftover tags and second draw, I've gotten lucky in them a few times.

ID_Matt

WKR
I think the odds are about the same either way. If you HAVE to have your whole group there, then put in together. If not go alone in the draw. Also check out the leftover tags and second draw, I've gotten lucky in them a few times.
Not necessarily the same odds.... if there is 20 tags and you put in with a group of 4 your number of tags available drops to 16. Not a significant drop but definitely something. Now if there was 50 tags, then it would be almost no difference.

cgasner1

WKR
The years I hunt Idaho I apply because either way I’m giving the state that money why not try and get a premium unit when your spending the money either way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wassid82

WKR
this is a good video that explains how Idaho hunt draws work. If you put in for multiple people on 1 card and you are the first card drawn (by luck) then you basically have the same odds collectively compared to individuals......but as the number of people selected decrease the available tags to be drawn then your odds for those later tags goes down significantly. Therefore in general you odds of drawing are less.