Idaho Deer Hunt

Hey guys, if anyone is hunting deer in 19, 20, 20a, 27, 28, 36a, 36b, 37a, 39, 43, 48, 49, 50, 66, 69, 76 Id be happy to chat with you about your plans and potentially share what my buddies or I are finding in the units or what I’ve gathered from scouting via PM. I talk to a lot of guys and enjoy keeping tabs on what’s happening. It’s especially helpful for primarily deer hunters to connect with guys who are more elk hunters like myself.

PM only. Some nonresidents or newer Idaho residents have great plans and others not so much between places that are obvious and will be overrun with hunters and places where you’d get snowed in, etc. haha I’ve heard it all now on here.

The nonresident tags in Idaho are about sold out now so I feel like I’m probably not directing anyone to Idaho by posting this late in the game.

mighty generous! where were you two years ago when i got skunked on my deer hunt in one of those units?! haha i'd be taking you up on this no doubt if i was headed back to idaho this year

OP
I
mighty generous! where were you two years ago when i got skunked on my deer hunt in one of those units?! haha i'd be taking you up on this no doubt if i was headed back to idaho this year

Haha I’ve been doing this for a few years.

Some guys take advantage but mostly it’s been a win-win. I can tell you nonresidents absolutely suck at hunting the Frank Church. It’s just a lot.

I’ve met some really good dudes on the site.

OP
I
I've greatly appreciated the input I've gotten from you in the past!

I'm about as resident as it gets. Lifetime fishing and hunting license for the last 25 years lol.

You da man, brother. Thanks.

I can’t remember if I responded back to your last message. I’ve been getting lots. Yes, the mine. Describe what you’re thinking and where in more detail and I’d be happy to help you put your plan together. I’d be happy to hear how it goes especially because I’m interested in an elk hunt around there sometime. Probably never for deer.

RLD

FNG
I'll be in unit 50 end of September. If i figure out how to send a PM, I will.

OP
I
I’ve had some wonder why I do this.

I’ve hunted all around most of the state. Researching is a lot of the fun and sharing and receiving info is enjoyable and expands my knowledge base. I love learning. I can look at units from a macro perspective and feel a tiny bit like an armchair biologist. I realize that if I hunt one spot per year, I don’t have a very broad perspective. So I share my scouting spots, prime google earth spots, or old hunting spots.

I only talk to guys who I get good vibes from. If I share specific spots, I expect them to be an open book. I’ve been burned a few times but not much. I have met lots of awesome people. I read about a lot of hunts each year.

iseebucks

Lil-Rokslider
idahohikker, I have been coming from California to mule deer hunt in Idaho every year since 2015 and this year I was planning on hunting a new area in unit 36 but I noticed that you didn't list that unit. Is there a reason why you skipped over it?

OP
I
I’ve hunted many places but not unit 36 so it’s not on the list because I’m not very knowledgeable about it. I’ve hunted close by though. Unit 36 and all the Sawtooth units have poor deer numbers and an elk tag that’s very hard to get now. Not really the top of my list but there are the occasional nice deer that come out of there. Go for it if you want. You could have a great hunt if you hit it hard and learn the area. It’s more about how you hunt than where!

Deeman92

FNG
Trying to PM, but cant seem to figure it out. Might be to new of a member to do that yet.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Man, I'm all ears. Hit me up lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Calbuck

WKR
Ive hunted several of the units you listed and have had a ball. I have received "limited" general info via the internet on those units, but for the most part can say my experience has been gained by putting my boots in the dirt on them. Ive been somewhat successful, having taken a couple bulls and a couple bucks..nothing spectacular but success in my book! I now have a very broad choice of areas I can go hunt and somewhat know the terrain and where I might find animals..it's been real fun and rewarding. I'm from CA and it takes a lot of time, $$ and energy to get it done back there. Well worth putting in the time and effort!

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’ve had some wonder why I do this.

I’ve hunted all around most of the state. Researching is a lot of the fun and sharing and receiving info is enjoyable and expands my knowledge base. I love learning. I can look at units from a macro perspective and feel a tiny bit like an armchair biologist. I realize that if I hunt one spot per year, I don’t have a very broad perspective. So I share my scouting spots, prime google earth spots, or old hunting spots.

I only talk to guys who I get good vibes from. If I share specific spots, I expect them to be an open book. I’ve been burned a few times but not much. I have met lots of awesome people. I read about a lot of hunts each year.

Now that you mention it, I too wonder why you do it. I'll hash it out over a PM.

Randy

OP
I
Now that you mention it, I too wonder why you do it. I'll hash it out over a PM.

Randy

Thanks for the huge rant. I knew it would be good when it was titled “rant.” If I talk to ten or twenty guys a year, it will have almost no impact. Most of the nonresidents I talk to have a major flaw in their plan that I help them straighten out. Most of the time I don’t give specific suggestions on where to hunt.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I don't think it's that big of a deal. Not like they can bring 25k buddies with them. Caps are in place for that very reason. It's almost like people have never been helped out in their life for anything. We can tell them to all buy tags for the Frank, but karma isn't too kind.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

MrWolf

FNG
Hey guys, if anyone is hunting deer in 19, 20, 20a, 27, 28, 36a, 36b, 37a, 39, 43, 48, 49, 50, 66, 69, 76 Id be happy to chat with you about your plans and potentially share what my buddies or I are finding in the units or what I’ve gathered from scouting via PM. I talk to a lot of guys and enjoy keeping tabs on what’s happening. It’s especially helpful for primarily deer hunters to connect with guys who are more elk hunters like myself.

PM only. Some nonresidents or newer Idaho residents have great plans and others not so much between places that are obvious and will be overrun with hunters and places where you’d get snowed in, etc. haha I’ve heard it all now on here.

The nonresident tags in Idaho are about sold out now so I feel like I’m probably not directing anyone to Idaho by posting this late in the game.

I would love to ask you questions! I have been lurking and reading post now I need to make a few posts so I can send PMs

We've been looking hard at two of those units and wouldn't mind sharing notes. I'm new on here and don't know how to PM so let me know how to connect.