Idaho Deer Hunt

Feel free to reach out for anyone planning hunts in 2020. It’s best to describe what you’re looking for in a hunt, sleeping arrangement, fitness levels, and hunting experience. Lay out a little of your background and what you’re looking at and that really helps me respond.

My time is limited and getting more limited. I will keep this a small group for various reasonable At this point, I’ll help where I can and it may be pretty general and short. I get some satisfaction out of helping a few guys new to hunting or hunting Idaho. If it seems like a longer discussion might make sense, we can go back and forth more on the site or by phone or whatever. Unless I get a feel that someone is a high character person, I need to move on pretty quickly because I fear the effects of info sharing otherwise.

The times when it’s a solid win-win and a guy has hunted an area a few times are really nice. I’ve met some good dudes on here that are also skilled hunters. Residents seem to know what they’re doing more but not always and it’s mostly just because they’ve hunted areas more often and learned them.
Feel free to reach out for anyone planning hunts in 2020. It’s best to describe what you’re looking for in a hunt, sleeping arrangement, fitness levels, and hunting experience. Lay out a little of your background and what you’re looking at and that really helps me respond.

My time is limited and getting more limited. I will keep this a small group for various reasonable At this point, I’ll help where I can and it may be pretty general and short. I get some satisfaction out of helping a few guys new to hunting or hunting Idaho. If it seems like a longer discussion might make sense, we can go back and forth more on the site or by phone or whatever. Unless I get a feel that someone is a high character person, I need to move on pretty quickly because I fear the effects of info sharing otherwise.

The times when it’s a solid win-win and a guy has hunted an area a few times are really nice. I’ve met some good dudes on here that are also skilled hunters. Residents seem to know what they’re doing more but not always and it’s mostly just because they’ve hunted areas more often and learned them.

Hey hows it going man? Super cool of you to share inside info that takes years to accumulate. I hunted 39 for mulies a couple years back with a lot of knowledge gained and a little success too. What are your thoughts on 36b? Is the herd healthy there? Is the geography of the area comparable to 39? Thanks for any info youre willing to share.

Squatch89

FNG
I'll tag along here.... Also int. in Idaho Area 36B Will be there this season. Last time I was there was in 2009 right after worst winter-kill in 20 yrs. Saw 4 does, no bucks in 4 days. hoping this year is a better experience.

In 36B 2019, elk hunting, didn't see a lot of deer, a few does, only a few 1-2 year old class bucks, not ones I would take personally. Few WTD down lower near agriculture.

Hunted 36b this and last year for elk, and saw some deer sign but saw no deer. I have seen quite a few deer in town.I think the deer are more concentrated in the lower elevations and near crops. The harvest report from last year is quite good for 36b, though.

JoeyP

FNG
Debating between 39 and 43 this year. From what I hear both units are very crowded.

Gbond14

FNG
Hey idahohikker I can't figure out how to PM I'm leaving michigan now with plans on rifle hunting 37a and surronding units. I've never hunted mule deer before mostly just whitetails. Looking for any tips and tricks. I've been reading all year but looking for any knowledge I can get.

ostagg

FNG
Have you noticed good deer numbers this year in these units? Had a mule deer hunt planned for this year but had to cancel so already starting my research for next year

hoytforlife

Lil-Rokslider
Very informative post. I’m new to this forum. Currently stationed in the United Kingdom. 2021 will be my first trip to Idaho to meet up with a buddy of mine to Elk/Mule deer hunt. Looking forward to seeing this part of the country. My first elk/mule hunt and first to the state. Thank you for information that continues to be posted on here. A newbie like myself learns a lot wading through these forums.

Jhill1980

FNG
Hey guys, if anyone is hunting deer in 19, 20, 20a, 27, 28, 36a, 36b, 37a, 39, 43, 48, 49, 50, 66, 69, 76 Id be happy to chat with you about your plans and potentially share what my buddies or I are finding in the units or what I’ve gathered from scouting via PM. I talk to a lot of guys and enjoy keeping tabs on what’s happening. It’s especially helpful for primarily deer hunters to connect with guys who are more elk hunters like myself.

PM only. Some nonresidents or newer Idaho residents have great plans and others not so much between places that are obvious and will be overrun with hunters and places where you’d get snowed in, etc. haha I’ve heard it all now on here.

The nonresident tags in Idaho are about sold out now so I feel like I’m probably not directing anyone to Idaho by posting this late in the game.
Thank you very much for your post(s) on Idaho hunting. I'm new to the site. But, in researching units for this upcoming 2021 rifle season... Your name has come up in some of the posts. Ultimately, I decided on 36b going back and forth on many units. I have backcountry experience from years of backpacking. However, I've never backpack hunted. I've packed a few deer out on my back in the Sandhills of Nebraska. But, that pales in comparison to the elevation changes and overall rugged country that I've seen in Idaho. I'm unable to PM people yet as I'm new to the forums. Frank Church wilderness would be a dream hunt. But, I would have to save a long time to afford the trip in and out. As, I don't have access to pack animals. Nor, the money to fly/jet boat in and out. Hiking in would be logistically possible. However, packing out and floating down a river I've never navigated isn't in my wheelhouse. Again, thank you very much for the posts. I would love to pick your brain on unit 36b when I'm able to PM people. It looks like a unit that will have quite a bit of pressure. But, I'm confident if I work hard? I can get away from road hunters, casual hikers that don't stray too far from the truck, and not getting so far in that I run over the guided pack animal trips. Navigating the trail system usage for ATVs is a little mind boggling. Nothing sucks more than busting through some thick rugged country, only to find that someone took an ATV right past you to your destination! lol

Thank you very much for your post(s) on Idaho hunting. I'm new to the site. But, in researching units for this upcoming 2021 rifle season... Your name has come up in some of the posts. Ultimately, I decided on 36b going back and forth on many units. I have backcountry experience from years of backpacking. However, I've never backpack hunted. I've packed a few deer out on my back in the Sandhills of Nebraska. But, that pales in comparison to the elevation changes and overall rugged country that I've seen in Idaho. I'm unable to PM people yet as I'm new to the forums. Frank Church wilderness would be a dream hunt. But, I would have to save a long time to afford the trip in and out. As, I don't have access to pack animals. Nor, the money to fly/jet boat in and out. Hiking in would be logistically possible. However, packing out and floating down a river I've never navigated isn't in my wheelhouse. Again, thank you very much for the posts. I would love to pick your brain on unit 36b when I'm able to PM people. It looks like a unit that will have quite a bit of pressure. But, I'm confident if I work hard? I can get away from road hunters, casual hikers that don't stray too far from the truck, and not getting so far in that I run over the guided pack animal trips. Navigating the trail system usage for ATVs is a little mind boggling. Nothing sucks more than busting through some thick rugged country, only to find that someone took an ATV right past you to your destination! lol

Never underestimate the toughness of packing an animal out of those Nebraska sandhills. I hunted Nebraska in 2019 and packed a deer 3 miles on my back, it all seems real easy when you have an empty pack but that soft sandy soil is strenuous on the legs and that country doesn’t run in any one direction for long. When you get to Idaho and kill your big buck take advantage of the nice solid ridgetops for your pack outs if at all possible because a lot of them run in one general direction for a long ways

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jhill1980

FNG
Never underestimate the toughness of packing an animal out of those Nebraska sandhills. I hunted Nebraska in 2019 and packed a deer 3 miles on my back, it all seems real easy when you have an empty pack but that soft sandy soil is strenuous on the legs and that country doesn’t run in any one direction for long. When you get to Idaho and kill your big buck take advantage of the nice solid ridgetops for your pack outs if at all possible because a lot of them run in one general direction for a long ways

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andrew, Oh, I feel you there. Those Sandhills will wear you out. I’ve packed several deer out. One was 3.5 miles in. After that day... I decided to start boning out the deer and skinning out the head. Glad to hear you had success out there. I’m looking forward to Archery hunting out there. It’s an amazing place to stalk deer in some places.

sneaky

"DADDY"
There are ways to access the Frank without flying or getting in on horses if you go early. 36B you aren't going to be able to hike very far in any direction without running into a road or trail, be it a motorized or non motorized trail. 2021 will be an interesting year since the tags are unit specific for NR now. If you are archery hunting only in 36B you may not have much competition for deer. I'd say most of the NRs who have deer tags will show up for rifle and stay for the duration.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Jhill1980

FNG
There are ways to access the Frank without flying or getting in on horses if you go early. 36B you aren't going to be able to hike very far in any direction without running into a road or trail, be it a motorized or non motorized trail. 2021 will be an interesting year since the tags are unit specific for NR now. If you are archery hunting only in 36B you may not have much competition for deer. I'd say most of the NRs who have deer tags will show up for rifle and stay for the duration.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Sneaky,
Thank you very much for the heads up. Having never hunted Idaho before I had to pick a unit. It’s hard to discern what roads and trails are accessible e-scouting. One of my BHA friends has been in the area and told me it looked decent. I’ll just have to work hard and hopefully play off of other peoples created pressure. These are all huge assumptions. But, many of easily the easily accessible public lands here in Nebraska get a lot of pressure from knuckleheads. Hopefully I can find some pockets away from them? I get the distinct feeling that this unit is quite possibly one of the reasons that NR tags needed to be capped by unit. Not, statewide. I will be out there for rifle season. I went with a deer tag. Because. I can’t afford an elk tag, and I’m not confident in my abilities to pack out an elk by myself without wasting valuable meat. I appreciate your insight, and will make the best of whatever the situation is.

Jhill1980

FNG
I’m going to do a new post. I’m generally fairly willing to help but I don’t want people trying to PM me on their first day on the site.
I sent you a PM last week. However, I think they drop off after a while? Anyway, thank you for your time.

Jweber240

FNG

I just came across this post. I tried my own thread just to see if anyone could tell me if I was warm or not in the area I had started to scout in 36B. I live on the unit but have just started bow hunting for elk and this will be my first year hunting elk. I have tried for spike only units in Utah where I used to live without any luck either but had put in a lot of work. I know folks are very secretive and protective of their knowledge. I feel the same way but I also feel that if I was ever successful through the hard work of putting boot sole to the ground and glass on the hills that I would understand that if someone was looking in a general area and like me now, asking if I am hot or cold in a general area, that I could do a lot to help them by letting them know they are wasting their time in a particular area without ever giving up a honey hole so to speak. I don't think I have posted enough to PM anyone yet but will keep posting to gain that privilege. With the amount of time I have between a very demanding job, home schooling 3 kids full time and keeping the house in order I thought to seek advice from the forum but know I will get a cold shoulder from most, and the ones who may respond will be the big brother and advise me on just keep putting in the scouting time and that no one will give advice for specific areas. Some of the areas in 36B I am interested in knowing whether I am getting hot or cold is Squaw Creek. I've noticed that on the west side of the road near the end that Martin, Sheep and Pack Creeks look like rugged area but get the feeling that it just doesn't look like elk habitat. As I looked northwest I found that up Garden Creek Rd. looked a bit more elky than Squaw Creek area but put 20 miles of sole up past Buster Lake last Sunday with no signs like rubs, print and only three piles of petrified elk poo. I am just not experienced in what Elk look for in terms sustaining habitat. I usually think about whether the area has water near and is there forage, cover and escape routes. I found this last week however with the sign results I just listed off above. I was thinking on pushing further northwest in the unit and head up Morgan Creek. Seems like a lot of forested basins that I could traverse up but again I think about areas that look like open parks with forest all around. Not sure if elk in Idaho matriculate towards these open meadow park areas for forage. Lengthy response to your outdated post but just thought it was worth a try to see if we could brainstorm about area without giving up any of your actual hunting ground locations. Thanks.