Idaho Deer Unit 39 August Rifle Controlled Hunt

Elkrunner

FNG
Hi All,
Putting in for this controlled hunt for 2022. Curious if anyone has had this tag In the last couple years and has any feedback on how their experience was? I am an experienced high country deer hunter in Colorado. I plan to scout and hunt the east side of the unit in the sawtooth wilderness, if I am one of the 17% who draws a non resident tag

Cheers!

downthepipe

Lil-Rokslider
My experience is idaho in general and unit 39/43 specifically is that it doesn’t have that much feed above 8,000 feet thus even though it is romantic to think about getting way up above tree line to see groups of bucks early season, more of the deer or at the tree line between 5500-8000 feet. I’ve done that hunt recently and obviously you always have to worry about fire and the ability to glass in general, and also 80-100 degree weather. Anyway it’s a fun hunt and we have killed deer, but if you are only looking high, you may not find many deer (lots of elk though!!!)

OP
E

Elkrunner

FNG
Thanks Downthepipe, that’s great feedback. I’ve run into the same conditions down here in Colorado with the early deer rifle hunts. There’s very few areas where the deer are still in high alpine basins come September.

Best of luck to you on your hunts this year.

Wassid82

WKR
My son drew that tag a few years ago. It was a really fun hunt, but harder than I expected. If the weather stays hot those deer almost go nocturnal. we had the best luck sticking very close to water sources with good timber close by. we also started close to the sawtooth but much of that had heavy burn and not great mature tree cover. Just some things to consider. Good luck

Wondering if you drew that tag?! PM not available but looking for someone with the like mind, hope you didnt disappear

OP
E

Elkrunner

FNG
Hi there unfortunately I didn’t draw this tag. Will be watching the second draw opportunities