Idaho Deer Unit 43

OP
carpentertanner
All I can say is I've never left Idaho without my tag filled..and I'll keep coming back til they tell me I can't. And what one person says is worth exactly what someone else is willing to pay for it. Myself included!
With that said, OP..good luck in 43 and maybe you'll find different conditions than I did.

Thanks man...same here I’m 27 and haven’t not filled a tag since I was 12. No doubt in anyone’s hunting ability.
Good luck on the rest of ur hunts this year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Camped back in there a couple days before opener and hunted 4 days. Guessing the bikes have slowed down by now. There was no shortage of people around. Neither of us left with anything, but saw some deer. Good luck!

OP
carpentertanner
Camped back in there a couple days before opener and hunted 4 days. Guessing the bikes have slowed down by now. There was no shortage of people around. Neither of us left with anything, but saw some deer. Good luck!

Good to know you saw something. See anyone drop anything nice?

Never saw anyone leaving with anything substantial. Watched a guy pile up a small forkhorn about 400 yards from camp. Its possible that deer committed suicide. Saw him couple times a day for a few days... kind of figured his time was short. Sounded like a warzone in there at last light of the opener.

OP
carpentertanner
Well I got 5 days of hunting in before the transmission in the truck grenaded and it was time to head home. Saw a few does ...no bucks...put in a lot of miles. Some nice bull elk were good to see. Put in 13 miles one day and seems like most of deer in lower areas moved w the weather but don’t think it was enough to drive the big boys out of the high country. Beautiful area and can see why you have to get off the road. Will forsure be back next year. Thanks for all the input guys

Way to get after them. I have never hunted Idaho, but I hope to soon. I stick to Washington with my limited time, since it's all I know lol

I hunted 43 for the first time this year as well. Got there on the 24th after that storm and Started out with the mind set of Hunting as high as the weather will allow and get away from people. Did both of those things and didn’t see a deer for 2.5 days! We cut one set of big buck tracks at 8900’ that was probably a day or two old but that was it. So we worked our way to lower elevations and started seeing a pile of elk and a few deer. I ended up passing on a couple younger 3points looking for a mature buck. Never did find him. We covered a ton of ground and learned a lot. Definitely a bit deflating but that’s hunting! We will definitely take what we learned and be back next year.

OP
carpentertanner
I hunted 43 for the first time this year as well. Got there on the 24th after that storm and Started out with the mind set of Hunting as high as the weather will allow and get away from people. Did both of those things and didn’t see a deer for 2.5 days! We cut one set of big buck tracks at 8900’ that was probably a day or two old but that was it. So we worked our way to lower elevations and started seeing a pile of elk and a few deer. I ended up passing on a couple younger 3points looking for a mature buck. Never did find him. We covered a ton of ground and learned a lot. Definitely a bit deflating but that’s hunting! We will definitely take what we learned and be back next year.

Pretty much what I ended up doing. I think if we were there before the storm there would of been plenty of animals up high.

OP
carpentertanner
Kind of sounds like what I described..

Only difference is I saw some stuff moving at night ...talking to some locals they said the week before was off the hook. And I talked to several guys that were cleaning up some 3 points and small 4 points. Those guys were hunting much lower and a different area than I was....and I didn’t try that area out just because of the concentration of people

Calbuck

WKR
Sounds like you caught the end of the migration..when I was there it was like the last 3-4 days of season. It’s all good, fun looking at new country

OP
carpentertanner
Sounds like you caught the end of the migration..when I was there it was like the last 3-4 days of season. It’s all good, fun looking at new country

Forsure ...will be going a little earlier next year. And yea I was happy just to be out of California haha

JoeyP

FNG
Hoping to hunt Idaho with my Grandpa this year. He's been hunting Washington his whole life, but since I started hunting with him several years ago I've never even seen a buck. Would be happy to get a small buck or even a doe if we can get a tag. Just looking for a good experience with him while he's still able to hunt.

I liked this unit for the reason most people don't like it - lot's of roads - which means my grandpa can get around with us. Do you guys think we'd be likely to find a small buck or doe on the roads? Looking for the meat and memories rather than a trophy buck. Thank you!

3pointer

Lil-Rokslider
Hoping to hunt Idaho with my Grandpa this year. He's been hunting Washington his whole life, but since I started hunting with him several years ago I've never even seen a buck. Would be happy to get a small buck or even a doe if we can get a tag. Just looking for a good experience with him while he's still able to hunt.

I liked this unit for the reason most people don't like it - lot's of roads - which means my grandpa can get around with us. Do you guys think we'd be likely to find a small buck or doe on the roads? Looking for the meat and memories rather than a trophy buck. Thank you!
Probably kill a doe forsure in 39 , it’s wierd in 43 you never see deer off the road , but traveling around the lake in 39 I’ve seen does , don’t get me wrong I think the herd is far from where it should be , you will see people though , which might be ok with you , good luck

GregB

WKR

You should probably take a look at the regulations. Unless you are hunting during archery season, you are only allowed to shoot antlered deer.

JoeyP

FNG
Probably kill a doe forsure in 39 , it’s wierd in 43 you never see deer off the road , but traveling around the lake in 39 I’ve seen does , don’t get me wrong I think the herd is far from where it should be , you will see people though , which might be ok with you , good luck
Thank you! I was debating between 39 and 43. Does 39 have a better road system for motorized vehicles? I do like that it's closer to Boise.

JoeyP

FNG
You should probably take a look at the regulations. Unless you are hunting during archery season, you are only allowed to shoot antlered deer.
Maybe I'm looking at it wrong. I thought I saw a special draw for doe tags in these areas. I'll take a closer look. Thank you!

JoeyP

FNG
Ended up getting a couple antlerless draw tags in our group. Looking at the harvest statistics, I'm curious how many people pass on does early hoping for a buck and end up with nothing. I'd be happy with a doe this year.