Idaho Deer Unit 43

Brand new to the forum. Been hunting for 15 years. Based out of Southern California. Headed to Idaho next week to hunt unit 43 the last week of season. Hoping someone can come in clutch with some good info. I’ve talked to a couple people that have hunted the area and all came back with “get off the road and away from all the motorcycles” and I understand that and feel like a competent hunter. Was hoping to bounce ideas off someone that knows the area well. Going to be camping near Anderson Ranch Res ....any info greatly appreciated.! Good luck to everyone w a tag in their pocket!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KHNC

WKR
Literally that’s the advice. Get off the roads and trails a ways and you could find a deer in most every inch of that unit.
Doesn't this make the hunt so much harder? Surely, the guys on the roads and trails must be finding success or they wouldnt be on them right? Wouldn't it make sense just to stay on them with everyone else? Tried and true technique right?

IdahoElk

WKR
Doesn't this make the hunt so much harder? Surely, the guys on the roads and trails must be finding success or they wouldnt be on them right? Wouldn't it make sense just to stay on them with everyone else? Tried and true technique right?

They are not shooting the 30"+ bucks that roam that unit, you want a monster 43 buck you need to get away from the crowds.

With all due respect, no. You aren’t going in the right direction with how you’re reading this or what the unit is like.

The stats show deer and hunter density. OnX will show you trail density. Put all that together and it reveals the deal with the unit.

Last edited:

KHNC

WKR
With all due respect, no. You aren’t going in the right direction with how you’re reading this or what the unit is like.

The stats show deer and hunter density. OnX will show you trail density. Put all that together and it reveals the deal with the unit.
I know, i was just joking around. You know, to keep people out of the good spots. lol

OP
carpentertanner
That’s part of what I was looking for ...confirmation that there are 30” bucks in the unit. I’m ready to backpack in and camp out. Have a couple spots where I know that people have taken decent bucks out of. I’ve been going thru OnX and Google Earth looking at every inch of the map.

As for the road hunting comment...

I have a bunch of honey holes in this unit I would be happy to share with a random person on the internet from California, who I've never met before, who just joined the forum and has contributed nothing of value to this forum and who is asking for them less than a week before his hunt. I'll post them here shortly. :poop:

OP
carpentertanner
I know, i was just joking around. You know, to keep people out of the good spots. lol

Sounds like some crap I would say haha. I’ve kinda written off my whole trip and not expecting anything huge....usually takes a year or two to really get dialed in on a new unit, but who knows. Lord knows I wont be on that tried n true sir on ur ass road hunting technique

That’s part of what I was looking for ...confirmation that there are 30” bucks in the unit. I’m ready to backpack in and camp out. Have a couple spots where I know that people have taken decent bucks out of. I’ve been going thru OnX and Google Earth looking at every inch of the map.

As for the road hunting comment...

There’s almost zero 30” deer. The unit gets huge amounts of pressure and is one of the highest hunter densities in the state. I’ve talked at length with the biologist who covers the unit and runs check stations.

OP
carpentertanner
There’s almost zero 30” deer. The unit gets huge amounts of pressure and is one of the highest hunter densities in the state. I’ve talked at length with the biologist who covers the unit and runs check stations.

I guess will have to see what I come up with....I’ve been told there’s a migration either thru the unit from the high country or just the deer in 43 move out....?

I guess will have to see what I come up with....I’ve been told there’s a migration either thru the unit from the high country or just the deer in 43 move out....?

Good biologist/research question. I’ll say this though: deer migrate out of 43 on the early side every year and move into draw units to the south. You lose some of your deer. Deer move all over though and there’s a variety of migration routes in that area.

3pointer

Lil-Rokslider
Lol yea just stay on the roads and trails 😂, I know it may just be wer I hunt in the unit but I’ve never seen a buck off the road , sent some buddies to the area and they said it was terrible, well they spent all their time just cruising on there bikes , and literally we’ve pulled some 170-190” bucks out of there , just be patient and glass , keep moving until u find a pocket of deer then start picking it apart , being the last week , daddy will be near the ladies, just got to catch him with his pants down 😉, good luck

OP
carpentertanner
They are not shooting the 30"+ bucks that roam that unit, you want a monster 43 buck you need to get away from the crowds.

Are those bigger bucks hanging out in high elevation and only getting pushed out by snow? That’s been my experience but this a new place to me

IdahoElk

WKR
Are those bigger bucks hanging out in high elevation and only getting pushed out by snow? That’s been my experience but this a new place to me

Up high,there isn't enough snow yet to push them down, get 2k up in a drainage facing south east with water and cover in a area that doesn't get heavy road traffic.

kiddogy

WKR
Good biologist/research question. I’ll say this though: deer migrate out of 43 on the early side every year and move into draw units to the south. You lose some of your deer. Deer move all over though and there’s a variety of migration routes in that area.
usually not till the end of October , before they really start migrating out