Idaho Deer Unit 43

Hunted there about five years ago and was on foot, but that helps you escape the guys on bikes who might not be inclined to find the hard to get to spots. Good luck finding a good one.

IdahoHntr

WKR
Looks like their is a fire burning in 43 right now that might be of interest to some of you planning on hunting out there. Up by Anderson Lake some one had said. Not too familiar with the area, but saw it somewhere else and thought I would pass it along.

Joelweb

FNG
I was there last week and nearly everyone in that unit was hunting from a dirt bike or ATV. It was a $h!t show. Few folks hike to glassing nobs. Use your feet and a travel map to your advantage and get away from the masses.

OP
carpentertanner
I was there last week and nearly everyone in that unit was hunting from a dirt bike or ATV. It was a $h!t show. Few folks hike to glassing nobs. Use your feet and a travel map to your advantage and get away from the masses.

Right on thanks man...see anything killed ? I’ll be hiking my ass off next week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Calbuck

WKR
I was in there last year on the 25th-ish of October and the game warden saw me and my dad setting camp..we had a buck in camp from a different unit and he said "where in the hell did you find that deer? There are no deer left here!" He went on to explain to me that the deer were long gone from the area of 43 that we were in. You know what? We never saw a single animal. Hiking, glassing, riding, you name it, not one doe.

Joelweb

FNG
Right on thanks man...see anything killed ? I’ll be hiking my ass off next week

Saw quite a few bucks hanging in camps, but most were fork horns. Saw three dead bucks that were decent. It'd be easy to kill a forky in there. A nice buck might take some work. These deer should be migrating right now.

OP
carpentertanner
Saw quite a few bucks hanging in camps, but most were fork horns. Saw three dead bucks that were decent. It'd be easy to kill a forky in there. A nice buck might take some work. These deer should be migrating right now.

Good hope to catch the right buck moving out next week. Thanks for the info

OP
carpentertanner
I was in there last year on the 25th-ish of October and the game warden saw me and my dad setting camp..we had a buck in camp from a different unit and he said "where in the hell did you find that deer? There are no deer left here!" He went on to explain to me that the deer were long gone from the area of 43 that we were in. You know what? We never saw a single animal. Hiking, glassing, riding, you name it, not one doe.

Really hope that’s not the case this year. Filled both my tags in California this year but really looking forward to a real mule deer.

kiddogy

WKR
Hopefully there will be a few still there it’s a long ride to not see anything, but that’s why it’s called huntin
there will be. just cause some can't find a deer they think there are none. I've been hunting 43 for over 30 years and have yet to find them gone before November. not even in the years we got a lot of early snow. this year , we haven't got a lick of snow yet to push em out.
they MIGHT start moving some with this weekends storm, but they might not. I wouldn't expect much better out of 43 then a small 4x4 though. while there are some few big ones there , they are few.

Last edited:

Calbuck

WKR
there will be. just cause some can't find a deer they think there are none. I've been hunting 43 for over 30 years and have yet to find them gone before November. not even in the years we got a lot of early snow. this year , we haven't got a lick of snow yet to push em out.
they MIGHT start moving some with this weekends storm, but they might not. I wouldn't expect much better out of 43 then a small 4x4 though. while there are some few big ones there , they are few.

I know how to find deer..when there are zero hunters and the game warden saying the deer have migrated out of THAT SPECIFIC AREA, and not finding anything there, I believe the deer were gone. Not saying there weren't a few in there..we just didn't see em. We were in the far northern part of the unit. Take it for what it's worth.

kiddogy

WKR
I know how to find deer..when there are zero hunters and the game warden saying the deer have migrated out of THAT SPECIFIC AREA, and not finding anything there, I believe the deer were gone. Not saying there weren't a few in there..we just didn't see em. We were in the far northern part of the unit. Take it for what it's worth.
lol. I ain't never seen zero hunters in 43 during deer season either.

Calbuck

WKR
All I can say is I've never left Idaho without my tag filled..and I'll keep coming back til they tell me I can't. And what one person says is worth exactly what someone else is willing to pay for it. Myself included!
With that said, OP..good luck in 43 and maybe you'll find different conditions than I did.