Idaho DFG Website

OP
While this was a bummer for those trying to get the Diamond Creek tag, it is not a surprise at all with the direction that elk hunting has been going and, that unit specifically. I've hunted the unit on three separate occasions, all during archery season, and while there are not elk around every tree, it is a good unit for elk numbers. It has received a significant amount of attention over the past 3-4 years and especially this past year with Josh Bowmar repeatedly telling folks on instagram how great the Diamond Creek unit is. I read through the IG post where he is with his bull and there are multiple comments following the lines of "Wow...great bull...cant wait to give that unit a shot this next year!" There was a lot of that. With a limited number of NR tags, it was a recipe for disaster like other units have experienced (Sawtooth specifically).

Like someone mentioned earlier, adaptation is the name of the game with elk hunting and especially drawing/buying the damn tags. I think it also speaks volumes to having a well thought out plan for the short term, mid term and long term. Now more than ever, strategy and "backups" are going to be useful. Elk hunting is more popular than ever before (rightfully so as it is really fun), but this will make tags more difficult to come by, regardless of price increases. What is happening in Idaho is a solid indicator of what will happen to other states. Those last year saying that soon the Wyo general tag will be 4-6 points to draw...the current situation in Idaho is proof that it is likely to be the case.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I've said it for the past year, Diamond Creek will be like Sawtooth tags starting in 2021. On sale in May and a shit show to get one. Thank GoHunt, Hunting Fool, Eastmans, Epic, and the InstaFamous crowd for the rush on tags. As little as 5 years ago you could buy that tag in mid August and still get it. The rate increase that's coming is probably long overdue and just puts Idaho in the same range as other states for tag costs. Shouldn't be a shock to anyone that you can't manage resources in 2021 at 2005 rates.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Rob5589

WKR
@805Bowhunter, there'll be an elk around every tree now that they can smell no tag in my pocket :ROFLMAO:
It's disappointing and frustrating but, not unexpected. People have finally caught on to not wait to buy or risk their plans being for not. And if I recall correctly, the number of tags was down this year. This year the number was 459 which I could swear it was considerably more last year. Or my memory continues to slip...

YZF_88

Lil-Rokslider
I didn’t even know that Bowman dude but see 13,000 people looked at those pics and he does post the unit. That’s a low blow.

sneaky

"DADDY"
@805Bowhunter, there'll be an elk around every tree now that they can smell no tag in my pocket
It's disappointing and frustrating but, not unexpected. People have finally caught on to not wait to buy or risk their plans being for not. And if I recall correctly, the number of tags was down this year. This year the number was 459 which I could swear it was considerably more last year. Or my memory continues to slip...
2020 NR tag numbers went from 35% of tags in Diamond Creek, down to 25%. Those tags were put into the resident pool.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Is this the Diamond creek zone only or are other zones sold out?
There's a few others that sold out, they are rifle tags though. Bear River B tag always goes quick. I just did a quick scan earlier and that's what I saw. Everyone notice the "Rush Event Sale" headers underneath some of the zones? They're fanning the demand for tags for sure.

Rob5589

WKR
Ha, just wait and see if they institute the 10% cap based on 5yr average. They'll have to put them up for auction lol

It'll happen. I'm bummed but it is what it is. My daughter and I have deer tags so now it is all about that. With elk out of the picture, I can focus on deer only. I'd love to get her on some bucks. Last year was a bust.

Diamond creek should be a draw for Non res A tag quota. No points just random. It’s way less painful to see a Not Selected than to stay up until 2am just to see Sold Out LOL

Rob5589

WKR
Diamond creek should be a draw for Non res A tag quota. No points just random. It’s way less painful to see a Not Selected than to stay up until 2am just to see Sold Out LOL
This is/was my 4th year in a row and it was never like that. I've never had an issue until this year. My guess is next year when the tag is 650+, it will be less of an issue.

sneaky

"DADDY"
This is/was my 4th year in a row and it was never like that. I've never had an issue until this year. My guess is next year when the tag is 650+, it will be less of an issue.
Way to stay positive, but 10% of 5 year average will be 180 tags or so. There's way more than 180 people who are willing to pay the higher price. The random draw is the best option, you do NOT want it to go to points.

Rob5589

WKR
Way to stay positive, but 10% of 5 year average will be 180 tags or so. There's way more than 180 people who are willing to pay the higher price. The random draw is the best option, you do NOT want it to go to points.

At 459 they are probably already below the 10% threshold. The proposal reads, "Not less than 10% of all hunters over a 5 year period." In 2018 there were 1146 hunters (archery) in 76. Multiply that by 5, and 10% is 573. Unless I misunderstood the wording, entirely possible.

sneaky

"DADDY"
At 459 they are probably already below the 10% threshold. The proposal reads, "Not less than 10% of all hunters over a 5 year period." In 2018 there were 1146 hunters (archery) in 76. Multiply that by 5, and 10% is 573. Unless I misunderstood the wording, entirely possible.
459 is 25% of total tags in the zone, between 66A and 76. There's right at 1800 tags total for the zone between Res and NR tags. 10% of 1800 is 180, give or take a handful of tags. At one point, NR tags were over 35% of the total. I think when I first hunted the unit in 2014 NR tags numbered right at 800.

WildBear

FNG
Having a hard time understanding the non Resident tags. Was in only certain units that went on sale or are all the non resident tags gone? I was hopeful to get a Weiser River A tag