Idaho DFG Website

When I read "Not LESS than 10%" to me, that means they are setting a minimum amount of tags, not a maximum. Now if they said "Not MORE than 10%" that is a maximum amount. The max this year in DC was 25% of total tags.
But I'd have to read the regs to be sure that was their intent.
IIRC the idea was to give IDGF the ability to limit NRs a little more in hunts. If they do or not is up to them. You aren't going to see a 10% NR cap across the board. At least not right away....

TheTone

WKR
Don’t worry I’m sure a bunch of the instafmous will still be hunting DC. Pretty sure a few are just magically ending up with turned in tags and/or they have multiple people attempting to get them tags as soon as they go on sale

Lochtsa71

Lil-Rokslider
As an Idaho resident, this makes me smile listening to some of you bitch and complain.
The residents pushed for higher non resident fees and lower allocation of tags.
We have an outstanding Fish and Game Department and if you dont like the system, hunt another state.
Rant over and I'll just grab my tag the day before season opens 😁

Brianb3

WKR
As an Idaho resident, this makes me smile listening to some of you bitch and complain.
We have an outstanding Fish and Game Department and if you dont like the system, hunt another state.
Rant over and I'll just grab my tag the day before season opens

Not sure you understand the unit this thread is talking about as if you wait till the day before the season opens up to buy tour tag you’ll be shit outta luck as a resident.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lochtsa71

Lil-Rokslider
I don't hunt that unit because it's flooded.
I was just commenting on the few people that were whining about the system and that IDFG doesn't care.

Rant over and I'll just grab my tag the day before season opens
And as a non resident I understand your position. But I would say be careful what you wish for. I would venture a guess that as non resident fees rise and number of tags drop there could be two possible side effects along with an untold number of other possibilities. One being a simple increase in resident fees over time which is not a big deal because fees are already relatively low. Second being the a total money grab where the state sees dollar signs based off the price non residents are willing to pay and the whole system goes out of wack for both resident and non residents. I would just say don't be short sided with your desire to drive the non resident numbers down and the cost up. The people in charge now will be replaced one day and the whole way of thinking can change when that happens. But nothing could change for residents and certain amount of people who really want the opportunity will simply move to Idaho which will instantly make them OK to hunt there because they are now residents.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Lochtsa71

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with what you are saying and it has alot of validity.
My response comes from frustration, as I'm sure you could tell, because SOME non-residents do not respect the long established hunting culture that exists here.
I have helped several non residents in the past but lately many are so arrogant and park right behind another person at a closed gate.
I appreciate the fiscal impact the non res tags sales bring to the state, but the negative outweigh the positive of the money.
My resident sports pack is 125 and I add another 10 for hound hunting. I would gladly pay double to not have to deal the headaches that SOME non residents bring with them.
If you want info on other units, send me a PM and I'll gladly point you in the right direction if you are willing to hunt hard.
I also appreciate the civil conversation.

My response comes from frustration, as I'm sure you could tell, because SOME non-residents do not respect the long established hunting culture that exists here.
I have helped several non residents in the past but lately many are so arrogant and park right behind another person at a closed gate.
I appreciate the fiscal impact the non res tags sales bring to the state, but the negative outweigh the positive of the money.
My resident sports pack is 125 and I add another 10 for hound hunting. I would gladly pay double to not have to deal the headaches that SOME non residents bring with them.
If you want info on other units, send me a PM and I'll gladly point you in the right direction if you are willing to hunt hard.
Thank very much for the offer. I got involved in this thread the night/morning of the 1st based on the IDFG website issues but the thread seemed to quickly turn to the topic of the DC unit in particular. I hunt up north so I have no real skin the game when it comes the this unit specifically.

I completely understand the frustrations that comes with people in an area that you are trying to hunt, happens both ways. I can say I have had both very positive and very negative interactions with resident and non residents alike in the unit I hunt. In the end I don't think it comes down to where you call home but what your hunting ethic is. When I cross paths with a hunter in the woods the last thing I care about or judge them on is where they are from because we are both there now and that's all that matters.

In the end we it's a way of life we all have to work hard to protect, whether its in Idaho or any other state. Heck, come to Nevada anytime, it's all draw for both sides so there's no real hard feelings when I cross paths with a non resident.

TheTone

WKR

And I’ve had just as many (in reality probably more) issues with residents being slobs and buttheads than I have NR. Pretty funny that the first complaints I was heard other hunters around me mentioning this fall was all the non residents, by the end of the season I started to here about all the darn out of county hunters

And I’ve had just as many (in reality probably more) issues with residents being slobs and buttheads than I have NR. Pretty funny that the first complaints I was heard other hunters around me mentioning this fall was all the non residents, by the end of the season I started to here about all the darn out of county hunters
In the end I choose to have faith that we are all out there for the same reason, chasing the same dream with the same passion. I think both sides fall into their own false, self serving mindset at times. Like I said previously we all have to protect this way of life no matter where. Sometimes you just have to tolerate people and things you don't like or maybe just don't understand as a part of the sacrifice to keep this going for ourselves and future generations.

I don't get what the big draw is to the Diamond Creek unit. I hunted it as a resident last year for the first time. I've never seen that many people out hunting ever. People everywhere throwing out bugles like candy at a parade. I saw and talked to a ton of residents and non residents. I pulled up to one trailhead and saw 9 trucks already there (8 of the 9 were from out of state, as far away as Wisconsin and Iowa FYI). I even saw people in a lot of places packed back in 3+ miles so not just a bunch of road hunter, guys were hitting it hard. I never saw anything that got me that excited. Certainly not enough to spend an hour and a half at midnight to buy the tag. And for the record I have no problem with non residents and I did shoot a decent bull. I think tag prices for residents and non residents should all go up. And the overall number of tags should be reduced, but that isn't going to happen, certainly not in Diamond Creek where IDFG thinks there is "too many elk and they're impacting wintering deer". And I agree IDFG website sucks.

jetsled

FNG
It'll be even funnier when they raise prices next year and reduce tags. It's not a right, it's a privilege. Getting an out of state elk tag should be like hitting the lotto. For most of you guys it sounds like an expectation. Sorry.....good luck in Colorado.

ez_willie

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah I can't wait for the price increase! That really worked out in MT !...Maybe raise it to $3000 for non res. just to weed out all the rift raft trompin around in their wal-mart mossy oak camo, UGH.......Also, dont forget to call IDGF to get on the "waiting list" so you can be first to get all the tags that get turned back in so they can resell them to someone else. :D

Pretty funny that the first complaints I was heard other hunters around me mentioning this fall was all the non residents, by the end of the season I started to here about all the darn out of county hunters

:LOL: I sat by as MT residents discussed seeing #'s on resident license plates and those bastards from Kalispell and Missoula down in SW MT this past week. Funny thing is I can't say there isn't a pattern to certain groups causing problems. When I was a ND resident we had a couple instances where we hunted waterfowl in fields off of the same roost for a month until NR opener came and the damn minnesotans had the roosts cleared of birds opening day of NR season..

Rob5589

WKR
Rant over and I'll just grab my tag the day before season opens 😁
As a non resident, from California no less, I love the fact that the IDFG listens to it's residents. I wish CA did the same but, I digress.
I think there is a misconception that less non res tags equates to less hunters. The non res tags are simply moved to the res side, so same numbers, but less non Idaho plates seen at the trailhead. But again, great for residents which should be the primary focus.

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The diamond creek area is just the new sawtooth area. It can be like that for a few years until success rates drop and elk populations decline slightly. Then the “new hot spot” will move. Mainly depends on advertised success from YouTube channels, forums, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KurtR

WKR
:LOL: I sat by as MT residents discussed seeing #'s on resident license plates and those bastards from Kalispell and Missoula down in SW MT this past week. Funny thing is I can't say there isn't a pattern to certain groups causing problems. When I was a ND resident we had a couple instances where we hunted waterfowl in fields off of the same roost for a month until NR opener came and the damn minnesotans had the roosts cleared of birds opening day of NR season..

sconis and sotas are the worst for roost busting need to leave there damn boats at home

As a non resident, from California no less, I love the fact that the IDFG listens to it's residents. I wish CA did the same but, I digress.
I think there is a misconception that less non res tags equates to less hunters. The non res tags are simply moved to the res side, so same numbers, but less non Idaho plates seen at the trailhead. But again, great for residents which should be the primary focus.
Agreed that it's great for a game department to listen to their residents but as I've said previously that roughly $8+ million that they make non resident elk tags alone is not going to just be let go. They can only increase cost and cut numbers so far before it comes back on resident hunters.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Agreed that it's great for a game department to listen to their residents but as I've said previously that roughly $8+ million that they make non resident elk tags alone is not going to just be let go. They can only increase cost and cut numbers so far before it comes back on resident hunters.

Actually, 12,815 NR tags is $5,340,000 give or take. Bumping them up to $650 each they can make the same money by selling 4,600 fewer tags. MT did the same thing, people complained, now you aren't guaranteed a tag because of demand. It'll even out.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk