Idaho DFG Website

kiddogy

WKR
Is it one NR is equal to 11 years of one resident hunter or one NR hunter equals 11 Idaho resident hunters? I've seen how some Idaho residents hunt so it's up in the air. Anyone know how to start a poll on these forums?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
a NR is equal to nothing IDAHO.;)😁:rolleyes:

colersu22

WKR
I see why Idaho is raising the prices for NR and I get people are mad about it but like other have posted it will still be one of the cheapest states to hunt. If people want to get mad about the increase they should be mad at the bow hunters permit that goes from $20 to $80. That is the only one I think is weird but I just look at it as a whole package anyways so it isn’t as bad.

kiddogy

WKR
people always get upset when something they love costs more . in the end they still fork it over.

resident Idaho had an increase a couple years ago now it's the NRs turn. next the resident tags will go up again. folks won't like it BUT they WILL pay to play!
besides, don't all states sell resident license and tags cheaper then NR????????????

Haha nonresidents don’t deserve any tags. Hopefully there are a few available but no one has a right. We’ve been through this and reasonable minds agree. I’m a nonresident in 49 states and won’t complain about their prices or favoring residents which everyone does.

kiddogy

WKR
Haha nonresidents don’t deserve any tags. We’ve been through this and reasonable minds agree. I’m a nonresident in 49 states and won’t complain about their prices or favoring residents which everyone does.
exactly correct

Rob5589

WKR
I deserve a tag at below market prices!

The average guy can no longer travel from Maine to hunt elk in Idaho. This is outrageous.

Interesting that you mentioned "market" prices. I would guess that plays into the price increases somewhat. Surely IDFG looked at other states in order to gauge what the market would bear. Guaranteed this market will bear $650 elk tags, no doubt. Will be interesting to see what 12/01/2020 threads bring 😁

FWIW; this thread has skewed off track but, for those interested, there are still elk tags available for both archery and rifle. So while DC and others are sold out, it isn't exactly the end of the world;)

sasquatch

WKR
I'm a NR and am happy to have a place to hunt without having to build points and wait for years etc etc!! No matter what the cost I will find a way as will others who want it bad enough.

Id love to see the houses, cars, toys, etc of those who complain about the cost making it out of range for the "ordinary" guy! Id bet a majority of their wives spend way more than what a tag cost every year at walgreens buying stuff they don't need yet the husbands don't dare speak up to that.

87TT

WKR
Maybe, just maybe, if they get the new revenue from tag increases, they will upgrade their computer systems so they can handle all the traffic that only happens a couple times a year. That's what this thread was about instead of a snivelfest on the poor NR being mistreated.

OP
I think a big elephant in the room is California and the cost of living/its impact on the rest of the country. Increasingly, especially as hunting opportunities continue to go away inside California, California hunters are leaving the state to hunt...elk, deer, etc. In a state where a crappy condo sandwiched in between a liquor store and a freeway onramp costs $700k...tag prices jumping a couple hundred bucks to people that are living in a state that is expensive already is going to not cause as much feather ruffling as other states, especially when this is perceived as a "vacation." I remember hearing a podcast somewhere with one of the GoHunt guys and he was saying that something like 40% of their entire subscription base was from California. In a population of close to 35 million, there are a lot of hunters (even if it doesnt seem like it) who can easily leave California and be in a "Western" state in a few hours.

California money is continuing to be a bigger presence on out of state hunts period. In a state where gas is $4.50 a gallon and prices are crazy high for everything, paying $1200 for a Wyoming sp. draw doesnt seem like a big deal when you realize that your gas, lodging etc will be way cheaper than your home state. I am not saying this is my perspective, but I know a lot of people that talk this way about out of state hunting. It is like a lot of the beach communities near where I live...the demand is so high for the property that people can no longer afford rent, and instead of a house going empty, there are 75 people who make good money waiting in line to rent the house for the new price. I think the same thing is happening with elk hunting across western states. As prices go up, people will certainly be waiting in line to pay them...look at all the western states...prices go up yet it has never been harder to get an elk tag across the board. I just dont see this changing anytime soon.

As prices go up, people will just be priced out of the market by those who can pay more. It is a super unfortunate reality about the differing financial situations across the country as well as the basic laws of supply and demand. While hunter recruitment is very important, this is one of the downsides. People like Joe Rogan, who do an incredible amount for hunting and conservation, have also inspired people on the higher end of the economic spectrum to pick up a bow and go for it. Same with a lot of the content on youtube. Im not bagging on it, I just feel like it has an overall impact on tags and who is able to afford them. I have no solution, I just know that elk hunting across the west is very different than it was 10 years ago and I think is going to be even more different 10 years from now. I dont know how to keep it affordable for everyone when there is a limited supply and a high demand. Even in an economic downturn, people who make a lot will still be able to afford the tags, whereas people busting their asses in the middle/bottom will have to be more selective on when/where they can hunt.

Last edited:

87TT

WKR
I think a big elephant in the room is California and the cost of living/its impact on the rest of the country. Increasingly, especially as hunting opportunities continue to go away inside California, California hunters are leaving the state to hunt...elk, deer, etc. In a state where a crappy condo sandwiched in between a liquor store and a freeway onramp costs $700k...tag prices jumping a couple hundred bucks to people that are living in a state that is expensive already is going to not cause as much feather ruffling as other states, especially when this is perceived as a "vacation." I remember hearing a podcast somewhere with one of the GoHunt guys and he was saying that something like 40% of their entire subscription base was from California. In a population of close to 35 million, there are a lot of hunters (even if it doesnt seem like it) who can easily leave California and be in a "Western" state in a few hours.

California money is continuing to be a bigger presence on out of state hunts period. In a state where gas is $4.50 a gallon and prices are crazy high for everything, paying $1200 for a Wyoming sp. draw doesnt seem like a big deal when you realize that your gas, lodging etc will be way cheaper than your home state. I am not saying this is my perspective, but I know a lot of people that talk this way about out of state hunting. It is like a lot of the beach communities near where I live...the demand is so high for the property that people can no longer afford rent, and instead of a house going empty, there are 75 people who make good money waiting in line to rent the house for the new price. I think the same thing is happening with elk hunting across western states. As prices go up, people will certainly be waiting in line to pay them...look at all the western states...prices go up yet it has never been harder to get an elk tag across the board. I just dont see this changing anytime soon.

As prices go up, people will just be priced out of the market by those who can pay more. It is a super unfortunate reality about the differing financial situations across the country as well as the basic laws of supply and demand. While hunter recruitment is very important, this is one of the downsides. People like Joe Rogan, who do an incredible amount for hunting and conservation, have also inspired people on the higher end of the economic spectrum to pick up a bow and go for it. Same with a lot of the content on youtube. Im not bagging on it, I just feel like it has an overall impact on tags and who is able to afford them. I have no solution, I just know that elk hunting across the west is very different than it was 10 years ago and I think is going to be even more different 10 years from now. I dont know how to keep it affordable for everyone when there is a limited supply and a high demand. Even in an economic downturn, people who make a lot will still be able to afford the tags, whereas people busting their asses in the middle/bottom will have to be more selective on when/where they can hunt.

I think it's just the cost of living. Tags are no more out of reach than they used to be, Look at the cost of everything. Gas, food, lodging, ammo, guns etc. When my license and tags were around $40 in my home state, they were $200-$300 in other states. Look at the cost of real estate and cars.
If you want to hunt in a different state you will figure out a way. But proportionally F&G fees haven't risen anymore than everything else.

Last edited: