Idaho Diamond Creek 66A/76 Cell Service?

Doing a 2019 DIY archery hunt in diamond creek. Yes we are some of the non-residents that's crowding the place.

Quick question.... Where's your favorite spot that's guaranteed to have elk? Joking!! Just Joking!!

Real question: Anyone experience adequate cell service in Diamond Creek to warrant no InReach etc? Do I really need to spend the cash and rent/buy a sat messenger/phone of some type?

Thanks, Wannabe

Pwells10

WKR
I hunt the unit every year. Depending on where you are staying (camping) I can tell you where you will get service

OP
WannabeHunter
Multiple locations are picked out via google earth. Backups upon backups. We are planning a scouting trip mid to late summer so my question could answer itself.

Will be a spike camp style hunt so won't be camping directly on roads.

Pwells10

WKR
We normally take a camper for base camp and do bivys throughout the month.

Message me if you want (so not everyone will see where you'll be) and I can tell you where you will find some service

bawana

FNG
They are or just did put a new tower up on Black Mountain, should greatly improve service in 66A.

It’s hit or miss on cell service. At our base camp we have zero cell service. The nearest spot from base camp with some service is about a mile away. When hiking to our hunting locations we will occasionally get a little service here and there. Just enough to send a text message. Voice calls can be hard to do with the very little signal we get. Lots of dropped calls. This is in until 76. Not sure how the signal is in 66.

sneaky

"DADDY"
They are or just did put a new tower up on Black Mountain, should greatly improve service in 66A.
I've hunted within a couple miles of that tower, and not have service. Topography plays into that. Get off on the sides in a creek bottom and only thing you'll have is sat service.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
WannabeHunter
Thanks for the info guys. Anticipated having no service down in the drainages and creek bottoms. We'll probably rent an InReach this first go round unless our scouting trip really proves we're close (~1 mile) from cell service. But we are planning about being only 2-4 miles from the truck so if it gets really hairy, one of the four of us could make it to the truck rather quickly (downhill).

bawana

FNG
I've hunted within a couple miles of that tower, and not have service. Topography plays into that. Get off on the sides in a creek bottom and only thing you'll have is sat service.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
What about when your on high ground west of the tower, much service or still spotty?

Rob5589

WKR
Spotty. Up high it is decent, in the valley near nothing. From our experience, Verizon is much better than ATT.

weaver

WKR
Should have great service throughout that whole area if you get up high.

There's an area north of ID Falls I bowhunt that always had full 4g cell service until this past season. Could barely make a phone call from the very tops. Not sure if it was the smoke or what?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

stratofisher

Lil-Rokslider
Last time I was there you could get some cell coverage up on top of the ridges. Beyond that the coverage was non-existent. Actually had good coverage when I could see Afton, WY

OP
WannabeHunter
Reviving this thread in case someone else is wondering. Spoke in great detail with a warden for diamond creek. He confirmed that there is a new cell tower on black mountain. Coverage is only reliable on top of ridges and not in valleys etc. He did recommend a satellite phone or messenger for emergencies.

Hope that helps anyone looking. Thanks to all the members for replying.