Idaho DIY nonresident OTC deer hunt

I suppose that's why a non-resident Rokslider that I never met in my life camped on our place this Fall until he filled his tag. Great guy too!
And I've never purchased a second tag for anything but turkey. Simply put, why kill more than we can eat...

OP, sorry for the hijack.
You act like there’s 14000 NRs deer hunters descending to trespass your back 40 but It’s not crowded yet- not like it will be when the NR tickets all sell out prior to July 31. Until that day comes again- You buy and eat the second tags, the same as I do same as my buddies do- to keep someone else from punching them, to keep someone else from showing up, If it’s actually That big a deal to you. You have the power to save a life or 2. You have the power to keep a NR or 2 out.

idhiker- I’m not messing with RD. I’m serious. I should have defered to him, he takes it more seriously than I do and has more experience to date than I will ever aquire I’m my lifetime.

oP sorry for the hijack. If it’s in an area that is in National forest that has lower whitetail density, and hunted succes of 45% or better and 45% or Better 4 points- which is like 20% or almost 1/5 of the state- it’s a good starting point. Then you’ve got a lot more area that’s just as good realistically with slightly less appaing numbers but it shouldn’t take more than 45 minutes on the hunt planner in your hotel room on your iPhone on your way to hunt to come up with a handful of destinations. Then go burn up your glass. Use your old 39 knowledge as a fall back

Last edited:

Broomd

WKR
You act like there’s 14000 NRs deer hunters descending to trespass your back 40 but It’s not crowded yet- not like it will be when the NR tickets all sell out prior to July 31. Until that day comes again- You buy and eat the second tags, the same as I do same as my buddies do- to keep someone else from punching them, to keep someone else from showing up, If it’s actually That big a deal to you. You have the power to save a life or 2. You have the power to keep a NR or 2 out.
I have to wonder if you even read the first part of my last posting.
Whatever the case, this has been the quietest deer and elk year I've ever seen in Idaho as it relates to NR road hunter presence. I suspect that the new trespass laws may have something to do with that, but I don't know..

I do know that at this forum I've urged guys to use the PM system for anything Idaho-related with deer and elk hunting. And the reasons for that are obvious. Things have gotten crazy in this state and everyone knows it.
The simple truth is that you and your buds buy a second tag with full intentions of filling it. If you don't, you eat it. My wife and I are empty-nesters and have no intentions of killing a second deer or elk and I'm not going full-on PETA to stop someone else! If someone shoots that animal, resident or non-resident so be it. Hopefully the take is as ethical and legal as you or I would do it. I think the vast majority follow the law.

I’m sorry rooms, i shouldn’t give you a hard time.

I’ve been reading your periodic rants about NRs for so long on here and the fire that even though it’s not even half what you post- for me it’s sort of become the unified theme of your message - the filter through which I read your every post. The algorithm through which I run your words in order to decipher your intent- you’ve become this sort of droning ever condescending voice of disapproval in my mind. It’s almost a thrill for me in the drive out- got to avoid getting caught by ol broom- and every summer and every fall on the way home
I’m all excited- like I got away with something.

But in the upside- most guys never become Internet personalities. Hey!

Randle

WKR
Are you actually targeting muleys or whatever deer the unit has to offer? I ask because you mentioned muley. If you go north, elk and whiteys would be a better option.
I would pick a unit that has the terrain you want to hunt, ie open country, timber ground, steep and rugged to avoid crowds and challenge yourselves, easy camping an access
means more people.

Broomd

WKR
I’m sorry rooms, i shouldn’t give you a hard time.

Good lord.
And here we are....this thread; where just about everything you've posted starting with "Screw these guys" to this last one has been negative and condescending.
And nothing I've posted in this NR/thread is as such.

Absolutely ironic.

Azone

WKR
Back to the original reason this thread started, if you lean towards the November hunt PM me. A friend and I have hunted a wilderness area up there every fall for the past few years with good success. I would be willing to trade some information on it for some 39 knowledge if your interested.

KHNC

WKR
Dang, i Read this entire thread and no exact unit info was given. Guess ill have to do my own research. What a bummer!

Calcoyote

FNG
One quick bit of advice...

Unit 39 contains one of the largest cities in Idaho (Boise). I would look for a unit that is a little further from population densities. I live in Oregon and the OTC units within 75 miles of Portland are a zoo.

Also, it just takes time. It took me 3 years of going to NW Colorado to finally hit pay dirt and find a great spot.

I will also be hunting in Idaho this next year but I will be going for Whitetail. I have done a lot of research and used goHunt and have it narrowed down to 2 units that I am interested in. I will be making my first scouting trip over there in May and plan another trip in August. While I am hopeful, I don't have high expectations. It will very likely take me 2-3 seasons of boots on the ground to find what I am looking for. Lucky for me I am not a trophy hunter and will gladly settle for smaller size deer. But, let me state again that if I am buying an OTC tag I look for units AWAY from population centers like Boise.

johnsd16

WKR
So without reading all the replies did we sort out what OTC unit is recommended for the “mid-late November rut hunt”?? (For mule deer).

Last edited:

jmcd22

WKR

tttoadman

WKR
You guys are all working too hard at research. I stuck a GPS tracker on Robby's truck a couple years ago, and he still hasn't found it.

but seriously. I love doing my own research. I ask only when I really get stumped. I agree with PM messages for any serious discussions that involve locations.

IH8Cali

Lil-Rokslider
The guide books are an excellent resource, but as mentioned it takes actually getting out there to make any sense of things. I honestly stopped looking at percentages and success rates and welcomed the advice in RD's book to just hunt the unit closest to home. I'm an NR that gives drives up and gladly gives Idaho hundreds of dollars every year for the opportunity to hunt. Although I've yet to be "successful", that capital obviously funds the management that we ALL benefit from. I enjoy getting up there and hiking around while also letting the kids experience it as well.

Make it a priority to drive out a few times a year and do some camping/scouting it different units, it will be incredibly beneficial. It's a couple days driving round-trip, I would love to have that kind of seat time with my old man if I could go back in time.

GregB

WKR
Yeah research is just part of the game these days. All my comments I was really being genuine to the OP. I have found Idaho's game and fish website to be very helpful in narrowing down areas to hunt with minimal effort. All the units will have deer, some more than others. All of them will have pressure of varying degrees. It just takes time and effort to stumble into a spot that suits your hunting style and has what you are looking for. Whether it is a big buck or lots of deer or just less people. Honestly I haven't found a spot good enough I would even recommend it to someone. I have worked hard to find the few mature bucks I have in Idaho.

Exactly why I recommended the site as well. The info and maps will give you enough info to make an informed decision based on what you are looking for. If you're looking for less hunters look at the stats to see what unit has less etc. At the end of the day every unit has deer and it's possible to kill a deer in any of them, there are people that do on a regular basis. Individual effort has a lot more to do with success than a specific unit.

johnsd16

WKR
OTC rifle mule deer hunts are primarily October. The only way you're going to hunt mule deer in November with a rifle is drawing a tag. Not to sound snarky or like a jacka$$, all of this information can be found here:

https://idfg.idaho.gov/sites/default/files/seasons-rules-big-game-deer-2017-2018.pdf

I guess I should have put the sarcasm marks on that post. It was more a reference to the clear utter lack of research by the OP, wanting a unit to hunt archery then come back and hunt rut with rifle which doesn’t exist in ID. Montana is a great choice for that.

johnsd16

WKR
There actually are several units in northern Idaho that have OTC rut hunts
But alot more whitetails than mulies

Which units would those be? Remember the OP said mid November rut hunt. I consider mule deer rut to be getting good around the 12th-16th at the earliest.

johnsd16

WKR
The only units that go after 11/9 for mule deer bucks on the general tag for any weapon season are 16A, 17, 19 and 20 which ended 11/18 this year. Most of the panhandle ended on 11/9 and other areas slightly south on 11/3. If the OP wants November dates for rifle, the list is really short and none of them to me are “mid-late”.