Idaho DIY nonresident OTC deer hunt

As an Idahoan, I hate to hear any griping about Non-Res hunters, considering over half of our license revenue is generated by Non-Res in Idaho.

In regards to the original post, I think I am going to concur on trying to get off the beaten path in Unit 39 where you’ve already got the lay of the land. There are ways to get away from people in 39, just make sure you bring good legs.

Randle

WKR
Unit 55 and 63 have archery november that's about it .no rifle that I know of.

Last edited:

Mtnboy

WKR
Unit 1 top of the state
Season for mulies runs clear thru November

And this right here is a classic example of how the internet ruins Units.

I wish threads like this were banned.

jimmy33

WKR
He may go to unit 1 and not like the “uncharacteristic” mule deer country it is anyways...tough unit for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Quit whining! Shits not going to stop, the interweb is not going away old people.

As for unit 1 its already ****ed, mainly because our government unleashed a land shark and the unit already had super low mule deer numbers, to begin with. Not because of non-residents.

Last edited:
Quit whining! Shits not going to stop, the interweb is not going away old people.

As for unit 1 its already ****ed, mainly because out government unleashed a land shark and the unit already had super low mule deer numbers, to begin with. Not because of non-residents.

I agree! Discussed units are everywhere online. Sometimes they tell me where NOT to go. For instance one year I applied for a tag then afterwards it got a ton of press. I won't lie, I got a little discouraged but still went in with a positive mindset and as it turned out it was a fantastic hunt. Low pressure, good animals, I was a happy camper! Pretty soon you'll be able to google search any unit in any state and there will be an entire dossier ready for anyone to read. Doesn't matter to me. Just because people "know" doesn't mean people "do".

tttoadman

WKR
I will be hiring the Russians to do a smear campaign on all of my favorite hunting areas to discourage people...Genius!!

Or I will just continue to go the most horrible places I can find where a normal person wouldn't want to go.

jimmy33

WKR

As for unit 1 its already ****ed, mainly because our government unleashed a land shark and the unit already had super low mule deer numbers, to begin with. Not because of non-residents.

I disagree about Unit 1. It’s a tough hunt, but in my experience, the wolves like elk and moose way more than mule deer. It’s just not a mule deer hunt you can sit up somewhere and glass your deer up and hike in and shoot it at 700 yards. It’s a still hunting affair for the most part. It’s not a sexy hunt so people fail at it. I only know a hand full of people who are consistently successful up there...

That first paragraph is going to be my response from now on every time I see someone complain about someone posting hunting info.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I disagree about Unit 1. It’s a tough hunt, but in my experience, the wolves like elk and moose way more than mule deer. It’s just not a mule deer hunt you can sit up somewhere and glass your deer up and hike in and shoot it at 700 yards. It’s a still hunting affair for the most part. It’s not a sexy hunt so people fail at it. I only know a hand full of people who are consistently successful up there...

I don’t disagree about it being very steep, forested and brushy. But the mule deer population has taken a dive since the 90s and early 2000s.

The elk population seems to be stable I have them on all of my trail cameras and I see them everywhere.

You are 100% right about the Moose. There should not even be a Moose season up their now. It’s a shame to, use to be one of the best units in the state.

Last edited:

jimmy33

WKR
I don’t disagree about it being very steep, forested and brushy. But the mule deer population has taken a dive since the 90s and early 2000s.

The elk population seems to be stable I have them on all of my trail cameras and I see them everywhere.

You are 100% right about the Moose. There should not even be a Moose season up their now. It’s a shame to, use to be one of the best units in the state.

I wish I knew exactly where you were going...we’ve had an increasingly difficult time finding elk up there...no problems with mule deer though...

Broomd

WKR
I agree! Discussed units are everywhere online. Sometimes they tell me where NOT to go. For instance one year I applied for a tag then afterwards it got a ton of press. I won't lie, I got a little discouraged but still went in with a positive mindset and as it turned out it was a fantastic hunt. Low pressure, good animals, I was a happy camper! Pretty soon you'll be able to google search any unit in any state and there will be an entire dossier ready for anyone to read. Doesn't matter to me. Just because people "know" doesn't mean people "do".
Laffing!
Of course you agree!, When people are (insert adjective here) enough to post information about their own back yard, of course nonresidents are going to suck it all up, willingly! They have nothing to lose, not a damn thing.

The 'interweb' excuse is ridiculous. If there is info out there, let guys find and earn their own way....which in itself is a joke. It's far from the boot leather that many put forth to find successful units and areas.
The simple truth is guys want that info without the pain it takes to achieve it. Hell, two months ago here at the 'slide a guy wanted an exact location to hunt mule deer including where to park.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Laffing!
Of course you agree!, When people are (insert adjective here) enough to post information about their own back yard, of course nonresidents are going to suck it all up, willingly! They have nothing to lose, not a damn thing.

The 'interweb' excuse is ridiculous. If there is info out there, let guys find and earn their own way....which in itself is a joke. It's far from the boot leather that many put forth to find successful units and areas.
The simple truth is guys want that info without the pain it takes to achieve it. Hell, two months ago here at the 'slide a guy wanted an exact location to hunt mule deer including where to park.

I totally get what you are saying and I don’t like unit talk at all. But it’s not going to stop. So I choose not to waste my time worrying about it.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I wish I knew exactly where you were going...we’ve had an increasingly difficult time finding elk up there...no problems with mule deer though...

I would much rather know where the big deer are:)

Laffing!

I think I may have done a poor job explaining what I was trying to convey.

I'm not exactly sure what you are suggesting with your comments? Not trying to be combative at all. Serious question.

I agree with everything you've said above except for people who have internet unit inquiries or take unit information being divulged to them do have something to lose. Do you take everything you hear or read from anybody, whether it be on the internet or in person as absolute truth? There is a lot of misinformation out there about anything.
I wholeheartedly agree that some guys want all the spoils with no equity put forth. I don't understand it, I don't operate that way. I find little to no value in an animal that has not been worked for and earned, no matter how much bone it has atop it's head. I have found the most accurate Intel on anything anywhere can and will be obtained by hard work and experience.