Idaho DIY nonresident OTC deer hunt

Broomd

WKR
I totally get what you are saying and I don’t like unit talk at all. But it’s not going to stop. So I choose not to waste my time worrying about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To be fair I get your 'worry' point too. Some things we can change, some we can't.

I just read this entire thread, mostly because I wondered how contentious it would become simply due to the title. I can see both sides of the battle here. Western hunting information is at an all time high. Any Internet media source will net you a boatload of info on most any unit in any state just by typing it into a search bar. Has it increased hunter numbers across the West? You bet. Has it made hunting more difficult for residents and non-residents alike? Absolutely. It amazes me that with certain Apps, gps, and a few Google inquiries anyone could likely research an area, purchase the appropriate tags and licenses and have a pretty precise destination picked out in a 24 hour period (or less). That same person could use forums to research and purchase gear online, and be set without burning a drop of fuel or hiking an inch. Would they be successful? Maybe, that depends on other factors. My point is, it should never suprise any of us to find people in "our" spot or see incrementally more hunters each year. Our game agencies in their respective states will have to deal with that eventually, and it'll happen more slowly than residents like because of the almighty revenue factor. I'm slowly learning to migrate around my home state to avoid the harder hit areas, and I'm still filling most of the tags I purchase; but it is most definitely harder than it used to be. I'm still nice to most hunters I encounter in the backcountry, and don't even ask where they're from anymore...because I don't care. If I see that a certain area seems to be getting hammered, I avoid it in the future. I'm much more proactive in securing a little private land access before the season, because most newbies usually use their plethora of Apps to avoid these places. But, like was said in the posts above, I have had to quit worrying so much about the politics of it and learn to refine my tactics and not get too attached to an area; because all it takes is one informative thread to pop up........

OP
C

cambo0420

Lil-Rokslider
Gonna be honest, most people aren’t going to tell you which unit to hunt via the Internet. Again idgf site has a truckload if info. I have hunted it 2 years in a row DIY. I picked a unit with average statistics and hit the hills. That’s all you really need to do. Only reason I’m saying that is I sat on google earth for hours and it did very little to help me kill a buck there. And you can’t expect guys to just donate their hard work finding areas to you for free. Gohunt and epic outdoors for a price will tell you which units to hunt.
Just joined gohunt thanks

JustCarr

FNG
Gonna be honest, most people aren’t going to tell you which unit to hunt via the Internet. Again idgf site has a truckload if info. I have hunted it 2 years in a row DIY. I picked a unit with average statistics and hit the hills. That’s all you really need to do. Only reason I’m saying that is I sat on google earth for hours and it did very little to help me kill a buck there. And you can’t expect guys to just donate their hard work finding areas to you for free. Gohunt and epic outdoors for a price will tell you which units to hunt.

How was your first year hunting a new unit in Idaho? Did you see lots of deer? Did you end up killing one?

I ask because a friend and I are going this October to do an OTC rifle hunt in October. Being from out of state I can't scout the area like I would like to so we are basically going in blind. I have scouted the area with OnX but as you know it is of no comparison to boots on the ground. I have found a few areas that I think might work for us, basically high ground where we can glass for a ways and hope to see something and then hunt the area we see the buck in. Obviously after a few years of hunting the same area you get a feel for it and know where to hunt but the first year seems like it could be a craps shoot.

I am just wondering how another hunters first year went to give me an idea of what to expect.

Also, what were deer numbers like and buck:doe ratios and how many hunters did you see afield?

Thanks

To be honest don't expect people to tell you good units. I was in Idaho for my first time this past season muley hunting and I'm from Ohio. We managed to find a killer spot with some 170-180 class bucks with very little if any pressure. We also put buttload of work into scouting and got lucky enough to run into someone who was after bigger muleys and didn't mind telling us where they were at. My $.02 would be to hunt southern Idaho and be willing to hunt away from the road. Go where the access is a little harder and be the hunter who will outhunt and outwork the other hunters and then you will find some deer. We ran into alot of road hunters and people camped right by the roads but all the nice deer we saw we had to walk aways to get to.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk