Idaho does a few things right

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
From Big Game Forever:

"Yesterday, Idaho’s legislature, passed a bill to place a “right to hunt” constitutional amendment on the ballot in 2012. Given the efforts to undermine the North American Wildlife Model in Idaho and in many other states, the timing of this constitutional amendment couldn’t be more critical. Governor Otter is expected to sign this bill into law in the next few weeks.

This constitutional amendment will amend Idaho’s constitution to make it clear that the rights to hunt, fish and trap are part of our inalienable rights.

Multi-million dollar ballot initiatives funded by out-of-state anti-hunting groups like HSUS have been growing in recent years. At a wolf management hearing in Boise a few weeks ago, many of these out-of-state anti-hunting groups showed up in force. It is clear that major efforts remain to stop recovery of key elk and moose populations in Idaho.

A constitutional “right-to-hunt” bill makes it much, much more difficult for out-of-state special interest groups to undermine state wildlife policy. This constitutional amendment requires any ballot initiative related to the right to hunt, fish, trap or other key wildlife policies to have a 2/3rds vote.

Thanks to all of those who have worked so hard to help pass this important legislation. "

Pretty cool!

By the way, Big Game Forever seems like a good organization. I joined in December (ony $10) and have been pleased with their actions on wolves, and other issues. Check them out at

Biggameforever.com

wapitibob

WKR
Exactly what "actions" on Wolves are you pleased with?
If their earlier efforts to remove the Wolf Rider were successful there would be no hunting wolves in MT or ID right now.

SFW/BGF are an organization I don't care to support. From the 400 tags they pulled out of the draw in UT, the attempt to derail the wolf rider, to the 350 tags they are trying to pull from the AZ draw, they have their own financial interest and that of their friends, at the heart of what they do.
They continue to work the AZ governor in an attempt to back door the tag grab legislation even after the legislator who presented the bill pulled his support because of overwhelming opposition. Local AZ conservation groups are pulling support for SFW and RMEF has twice written articles warning of the tag grab attempt.

They're bad news.

Last edited:
OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
wapitibob
the actions I spoke about was just them bringing an awareness to the situation of wolves. They were getting the word out via the net (where I get most of my hunting info) better than anyone last fall.

http://biggameforever.org/wolf-overpopulation.php

I was aware of their connections with SFW, but in a fight, we all make strange bedfellows. I was not aware of the intricate details you and dotman mentioned: that BGF didn't support the way things turned out. I'll take the blame if I missed something, but that is why I join organizations, as I don't have time (ironically, we were building Rokslide at the time, along with my two other jobs) to stay abreast on every detail on an issue, but I do have some money to support hunting and have for 20 years (RMEF, NRA, Mule Deer Foundation, Idaho F&G volunteer, at one time or another.)

If this discussion motivates me to spend my support money elsewhere, I will.

wapitibob

WKR
I probably shouldn't have posted, my apologies. SFW, BGF, the NM tag allotment, all get into pissing matches eventually. It would be kinda nice to have a spot where all of those topics are off limits and we can just talk hunting.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
wapitibob,
I disagree that you "shouldn't have posted". You didn't attack anyone, just stated some opinion of which I'm sure you can back up with fact. We aren't trying to make Rokslide a debate-free zone at all. We are just hoping to keep it cleaner and more fact-based than some of the other circuses we've seen get going out there.

Pissing matches are usually just opinion w/ no facts mixed with emotional & disrespectful posters. If we can avoid that, let's do, but still have debate. Heck, I learned more about SFW and BGF today than I had in 4 months.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Your right about that! I learned enough today to not have to dig any deeper. Still don't regret supporting the wolf cause, (we're getting hammered here), but when it comes time to renew, I may try another org.

My boss just actually joined BGF so I am glad to read the discussion hear. I will be checking into things too...if Robby is looking at supporting other endeavors I don't know that I really need to though!!!