Idaho Draws

I imagine it takes a couple weeks to verify all the credit cards are valid. But it would be interesting to know how hard they work to get it on a tighter schedule.

Why, you pay for license and application fee when you apply and then you have to purchase the tag, no automatic credit card hits like other states. They do have to verify that everyone is eligible and hasn’t previously applied for OIL species or in a waiting period, although it seems like the computer does that for them these days. As I understand it the biggest issue the last couple of years has been verification that the vendors they are using have been able to run a “true random” draw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mojave

WKR
I don't know when they are coming, but so far I have good tags in New Mexico and Wyoming. Didn't draw a couple other states, but I am pretty nervous about Idaho. Odds for the hunts I put in for are all 1-3%. So I should be safe. I'd like another antelope tag, and this is my last chance thought not likely.

I am finally on their DAV list, and it is a cheap application for the hunting license and tag. Beats $160 and a huge application cost.

Wish more states would allow a out of state DAV discounted application. Sign of the times that this will probably be more restrictive against DAV's than for them.

Mojave

WKR
Yes. First year. Got my papers back from the veterans administration and Idaho gF approved it. So first year. Not sure I would fo it as a fully priced application.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Yes. First year. Got my papers back from the veterans administration and Idaho gF approved it. So first year. Not sure I would fo it as a fully priced application.
I know the DAV license is discounted, but I don't think they reserve any of the controlled hunt tags for the DAV rate. All of the DAV tags at reduced price sold out back in December. I'll have to double check, but I think if you get drawn for a controlled hunt tag you'll still be on the hook for the full NR tag price.

mstei4

Lil-Rokslider
I know the DAV license is discounted, but I don't think they reserve any of the controlled hunt tags for the DAV rate. All of the DAV tags at reduced price sold out back in December. I'll have to double check, but I think if you get drawn for a controlled hunt tag you'll still be on the hook for the full NR tag price.
Unless they’ve changed it in the past 2 years, if you qualify for a DAV tag and draw a controlled hunt then you get it at the discounted rate. At least my Dad did in 2020

sneaky

"DADDY"
Unless they’ve changed it in the past 2 years, if you qualify for a DAV tag and draw a controlled hunt then you get it at the discounted rate. At least my Dad did in 2020
That was before they capped NR DAV tags for deer and elk I believe. They only set aside 300 elk and 500 deer tags for DAV now. Used to be unlimited as long as they qualified for the discount.

Mojave

WKR
Just called them price is something like $20. We will see if that is the case if i draw.

Mojave

WKR
Yes no reservation

mstei4

Lil-Rokslider
That was before they capped NR DAV tags for deer and elk I believe. They only set aside 300 elk and 500 deer tags for DAV now. Used to be unlimited as long as they qualified for the discount.
Good point, made me go check. Per IDFG’s website:

“If reduced-price nonresident DAV tags sell out, nonresident disabled American veteran hunters can still buy an adult nonresident tag at full price. They may also apply for controlled hunts, and if they draw, they can purchase the tag at the reduced price.”

idahodave

WKR
They have until July 10th. Anything before that is just good fortune. Hunts don't start for a few months anyways so there's no rush.
They have controlled hunts beginning in August.

Idaho‘s approach/timing sucks.…period. It’s extremely difficult for many NRs in particular to make plans due to how late Idaho’s application and subsequent draw are. It’s (mostly) a relic of a time when they WANTED to be the last state to draw, so the maximum number of people from other states that didn’t draw would put in. It’s about the money, and this isn’t a guess.

dave

Last edited:
They have controlled hunts beginning in August.

Idaho‘s approach/timing sucks.…period. It’s extremely difficult for many NRs in particular to make plans sue to how late Idaho’s application and subsequent draw are. It’s (mostly) a relic of a time when they WANTED to be the last state to draw, so the maximum number of people from other states that didn’t draw would put in. It’s about the money, and this isn’t a guess.

dave
If you haven't noticed, ID doesn't care one bit about anyone else's time frame, much less NR.

Mojave

WKR
It is more adventageous for it to be timely. As it gives me an opportunity to scout.

I only live 1000 miles to the south of the units I applied for (elk, deer and antelope)(all near eachother).