Idaho drop camp partner

btp

FNG
Hey, I'm looking for an Idaho drop camp partner. I think I have the outfitter narrowed down, have done research and his camps are well appointed and in a good area.

I know all the total DIYers on here are opposed to these things, but I live in coastal sc and the time and logistics to get myself to north central idaho with my stuff is worth him doing the camp. He will be taking us 6 miles in to a no motorized vehicle area, should cut down the pressure considerably.

Shoot me a PM if you want to chat, I'll be 47 at the time, I've killed a few bulls on ranch hunts, did my first otc for az mule deer in january, I'm kind of figuring out. Primarily a southern whitetail hunter, so I know what difficult looks like. I also lived in western NC most of my early life, lots of backpacking experience for trout.

I'll go by myself if I have to, but I think I'd have more fun if I had someone there to talk to at the end and beginning of the day to talk strategy and share camp chores. I don't care if you want to hunt alone and meet at the end of the day and just be there to help if one of us kills an elk. Or I'm open to trying to hunt together. Really, I plan to hunt hard, but more than anything enjoy being in the idaho back country for a week.

Let me know.

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
Sounds like it's going to be a great trip. I'm already committed to apply for elk/miley tags for a Colorado hunt. I'm moving from NJ to Summerville in June. Grew up whitetail hunting here and also trout fish. Maybe next year.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Who's the outfitter? I'm sure I will have heard some good or bad on them. My .02 is do not do a drop camp but pony up for a fully guided hunt or go DIY. You can just hike into where 99% of the drop camps are located.

OP
B

btp

FNG
Idohohikker, I can PM you the outfitter, but someone was nice enough to PM his info on Bowsite and I don't want to disrespect their desire to not blow this guy up. I've checked bowsite reviews and called some of his clients and he is seems to get people away from crowds into comfortable wall tented camps in good elk country. The rest is up to you. Obviously if someone wants to go with I would want them to verify the dude too.

As for your .02, I appreciate it. But I gotta believe that 6 miles in will limit the number of backpack hunters and this has been confirmed by the folks I've called. I can't solo in that far, get lucky, and have a chance in hell of getting the bull out myself. Maybe I could contract with a packer in advance, but by having a base camp set up I can cut down on the amount of gear I have to carry across the country, have a packer contracted, have comfortable accommodations, and get into the back country of Idaho for a bit of mountain time. All this for 1/4 of the outfitter.

Idk, it seems like a good adventure. Let me know if someone is interested.

If it’s six miles in in good elk country, that’s great. The key would be hearing from clients and the outfitter about success rates.

PM me the name. If it’s a unit that I’m guessing, you’d be likely to see multiple groups at six miles in but still would likely have a good hunt due to good elk numbers.

A drop camp makes a lot more sense for elk than deer, especially if it’s an area that for whatever reason isn’t hit hard by horse hunters.

xziang

WKR
Good research and offer for someone. Unsure jf I am a candidate for it due to limited vaca but also wasn't sure are you gojng in with archery equipment or rifle? Since you got the info fro bowsite I am guessjng archery more than likely.

Good research and offer for someone. Unsure jf I am a candidate for it due to limited vaca but also wasn't sure are you gojng in with archery equipment or rifle? Since you got the info fro bowsite I am guessjng archery more than likely.

I would also be interested in hearing your weapon choice. I have already purchased a NR Idaho tag but think i can turn it in. Not sure though.

OP
B

btp

FNG
Definitely an archery hunt. Looking at going in early on Sunday 9/13 and either coming out Friday or Saturday.

Shoot me a PM if you guys would like to have a phone call.

Thanks!

Auggie

FNG
BTP - how did this hunt go? There are a few tags left for 2022 and I am thinking about this program… curious to hear how your experience was and what you’d do differently. Thanks!