Idaho Elk 2021 Season

Hey guys -

I'm a FNG to RokSlide and this is my first post, but I'm not new to elk hunting. I screwed up this 2020 Idaho (non-resident) elk season first by missing the window to put in for the draws, then waiting too late for a OTC General tag while I tried to determine what zone to hunt (had heard the quota for General tags oftentimes sell out early but I never dreamed it would have been last week (June 17) and evidently the same evening I went online to buy my tag). Lesson learned, I'm DEFINITELY starting the tag process for the 2021 season when it opens up to non-residents this December...

Anyhow, after nearly 20 years of hunting Colorado elk and having grown tired of the politics, increasing tag prices, increasing hunter pressure and decreasing elk encounters (where we hunt, at least), I decided to look into Idaho. Not only do the stats look pretty good (I know, CO has the largest elk herd), but I nearly fell over when I found out about the great deal Idaho offers disabled veterans on their hunting licenses (check it out if you fall into this category).

Long story short, when looking at the available uncapped General Elk Zones, I eventually was led to choose the Beaverhead Zone for a solo archery hunt with the intent of focusing on Units 30A and 58. This conclusion was reached after much study of harvest data, herd stats, map study (GoogleEarth, HuntStand, onX), talking with the IDFG, the logistics involved, etc.

My main problem is, I haven't yet set foot on Idaho ground and, for me, that's the real truth-teller even with a butt-load of data/map study in my back pocket. My second concern is, this will be my first solo endeaver (I normally hunt with 2 - 3 other guys), though from what I can see at this point, the Beaverhead Zone would be relatively "tame" terrain-wise compared to my Colorado experiences (am I wrong?).

I've read several other threads on the Beaverhead Zone as well as Units 30A and 58, but they're several years old at this point and I'm hoping to find some fresher info.

I'd be greatly appreciative if someone would be willing to give me their recent experience in Beaverhead Zone and if it's as specific as Units 30A and 58, all the better. I'm not looking to horn in on anyone's honey hole, just hoping to hear whether a first-time solo archery trip to that area would be worth my while or whether another Zone/Unit would be recommended moreso.

Many thanks in advance to any responders. I look forward to hearing from you!

Rob5589

WKR
Welcome to the forum! The only way you'll know for certain is to go and check it out. I missed out on my usual area so did a bunch of research and picked a completely different part of the state. And am going solo. And am 0 for 3 elk seasons. So yeah, odds aren't in my favor but, heck of a lot more fun than sitting at home :cool:

OP
RetiredMarine
Thank you for the welcome and response.

Yes, that thought has crossed my mind to just head up there sans bow or gun, and just make it a camping/scouting trip. Like you said, it'd be a lot more fun than sitting at home!

I'm still studying the maps and imagery to pick out 5 -6 spots (or more) as if I were hunting, but would still appreciate any recommnedations anyone has, whether it's the Beaverhead Zone or elsewhere.

Best of luck on your hunt!

idahojtg

FNG
You could still pick up a deer or bear tag and still hunt the area while scouting for future elk hunts. Better hurry on
the deer tag though or you might miss out on that too. Good luck.

OP
RetiredMarine
You could still pick up a deer or bear tag and still hunt the area while scouting for future elk hunts. Better hurry on
the deer tag though or you might miss out on that too. Good luck.
Already done (deer tag). Thanks for your response and good luck to you, too!

OP
RetiredMarine
The parts of that zone I hunted were far from tame and were a true butt kicker. At one time I had elk crossing a mountain well above me and above timberline, while having bighorns and mtn goats below us.
Yeah, I guess that goes without saying and I can see that to be the case depending on where you're at, especially Unit 58 (re: Diamond, Big Windy and Tyler Peaks & Sheep Mountain).

What I'm noticing from studying various climber's sites and closer looks at Google Earth is, even though some of the elevations aren't quite as high as what I've experienced in CO, the ID mountains generally look to be steeper.

Thanks for your response and feedback!

It is my understanding the Non-Resident Disabled Vets tags are not counted as part of the Non- Resident elk quota numbers (they are trying to change that or address it now). You may want to reach out to IDFG and inquire; you may still be in luck for 2020 - us disabled vets need to stick together !

DavePwns

WKR
When doing research myself I spoke with a biologist who reported that zone to be on the edge of grizzly country. The grizzlies seem to roam those units but don't always have a perminate presence. I personally do solo trips as well, so I didn't feel comfortable field dressing an elk by myself with the chance of a grizz encounter. The biologist recommended going to a unit west. I've hunted pioneer zone the past 2 years and have harvested 1 elk, and had multiple elk interactions each trip. But it is very steep country, so getting deep into country takes some serious effort. If your willing to put the time in, you will find elk there.

OP
RetiredMarine
It is my understanding the Non-Resident Disabled Vets tags are not counted as part of the Non- Resident elk quota numbers (they are trying to change that or address it now). You may want to reach out to IDFG and inquire; you may still be in luck for 2020 - us disabled vets need to stick together !
I just called IDFG and you're absolutely correct! I never came across that fact when going through the regs. Thanks for the heads up!!!

I'm getting that tag NOW!

Semper Fi!!!

OP
RetiredMarine
When doing research myself I spoke with a biologist who reported that zone to be on the edge of grizzly country. The grizzlies seem to roam those units but don't always have a perminate presence. I personally do solo trips as well, so I didn't feel comfortable field dressing an elk by myself with the chance of a grizz encounter. The biologist recommended going to a unit west. I've hunted pioneer zone the past 2 years and have harvested 1 elk, and had multiple elk interactions each trip. But it is very steep country, so getting deep into country takes some serious effort. If your willing to put the time in, you will find elk there.
Left voice messages with the biologists in the Salmon and Upper Snake regional offices a few days ago and haven't yet gotten a response (virus minimal staffing issue according to the offices). Will give them a few more days before bothering them again.

This will be my first experience with the possibility of having a grizz encounter, so I perfectly understand your low comfort level. Part of the game, though, I suppose....

Yup, I'm willing to put in the effort and time! Really looking forward to seeing some new country.

Best of luck to you this season and thanks for your response!

OP
RetiredMarine
Thank you NJDiverDan, I will. I still have a few days of probationary time remaining (2-3 days, I believe) but will PM you as soon as that's met. Thanks again!

D

Deleted member 39919

There's no elk in Idaho...just kidding :)

Never hunted the units you're looking at, but there's a ton of info online that should help you out. Boots on the ground is always best.

Most of all, have a safe and great hunt in our beautiful state!

OP
RetiredMarine
There's no elk in Idaho...just kidding :)

Never hunted the units you're looking at, but there's a ton of info online that should help you out. Boots on the ground is always best.

Most of all, have a safe and great hunt in our beautiful state!
Thanks Vinswitch. You too!

I just called IDFG and you're absolutely correct! I never came across that fact when going through the regs. Thanks for the heads up!!!

I'm getting that tag NOW!

Semper Fi!!!
Can you clarify? I registered with Idaho for the disabled vet thing. What do they consider us? Thanks.

njdoxie

WKR
The parts of that zone I hunted were far from tame and were a true butt kicker. At one time I had elk crossing a mountain well above me and above timberline, while having bighorns and mtn goats below us.
This would make me nervous, it's progressively harder to keep hiking steep uphills day after day after day, they soon look intimidating and make camp seem oh so comfortable :)

In my experience the bio out of salmon will never call you back.
Make a list of your talking points/questions and keep it in your wallet incase he does.
And just keep calling him.
Super helpful once you get him.
The terrain is not easy but if you've been hunting elk and know what they like you'll find them.