Idaho Elk 2021 Season

OP
RetiredMarine
In my experience the bio out of salmon will never call you back.
Make a list of your talking points/questions and keep it in your wallet incase he does.
And just keep calling him.
Super helpful once you get him.
The terrain is not easy but if you've been hunting elk and know what they like you'll find them.
Actually, he did. Had a really good talk with him (Chris) as well as with Curtis at the Upper Snake Region office. As a matter of fact, everyone I’ve talked to with IDFG, BLM, and USFS have been extremely nice and helpful. I usually didn’t have that good of an experience when dealing with the CO DOW folks.

Thanks for your input!

Actually, he did. Had a really good talk with him (Chris) as well as with Curtis at the Upper Snake Region office. As a matter of fact, everyone I’ve talked to with IDFG, BLM, and USFS have been extremely nice and helpful. I usually didn’t have that good of an experience when dealing with the CO DOW folks.

Thanks for your input!

Awesome
The country is more open faces and timber draws, strips.
So you just gotta find the pockets they like.

OP
RetiredMarine
Awesome
The country is more open faces and timber draws, strips.
So you just gotta find the pockets they like.
Roger that.

So far, I have about 2 dozen “areas of interest” plotted (re: various drainages with good looking north-facing slopes) and I’m not quite done yet. Way more than I’ll ever be able to cover in the 2 - 2 1/2 weeks I’ll be up there but at least I’ll have plenty of options.

Still trying to figure out which roads/trails will be open and accessible to what extent, as the Beaverhead Zone has the Motorized Vehicle Restriction during hunting season (which is a good thing as far as I’m concerned). According to one of the game wardens I spoke to, violating the MVR is his #1 cause for issuing citations and I don’t need that!

Roger that.

So far, I have about 2 dozen “areas of interest” plotted (re: various drainages with good looking north-facing slopes) and I’m not quite done yet. Way more than I’ll ever be able to cover in the 2 - 2 1/2 weeks I’ll be up there but at least I’ll have plenty of options.

Still trying to figure out which roads/trails will be open and accessible to what extent, as the Beaverhead Zone has the Motorized Vehicle Restriction during hunting season (which is a good thing as far as I’m concerned). According to one of the game wardens I spoke to, violating the MVR is his #1 cause for issuing citations and I don’t need that!

Try Trails.idaho.gov
It has an interactive map.
Zoom in on the area you looking at and then click on the road or trail and it will tell you what's allowed.
It was signed well where we were. I'd say most of those violations were willful.

TheTone

WKR
Expect to need to change plans based on people. Last time I hunted that zone we had a few areas we crossed off completely due to the “cities” of hunters in the areas

swiftni

FNG
How'd your hunt go? I was in 58 this September. No luck for us, but had a great time.

Matt R.

FNG
Idaho is a great place to hunt! 2018 bull. Missed the OTC tags this past year due to tags selling out earlier than normal! Won't make that mistake again if know thats where I'm going. Serious terrain for us loved it!! MEW MEW! HAPPY HUNTING

Attachments

• 20180217_220322.jpg
    20180217_220322.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 75
In my experience the bio out of salmon will never call you back.
Make a list of your talking points/questions and keep it in your wallet incase he does.
And just keep calling him.
Super helpful once you get him.
The terrain is not easy but if you've been hunting elk and know what they like you'll find them.
Were you out there this year? Me and some army buddies started going out there in 2019 but didn't have elk tags the first year. Didn't see many elk to begin with but got the DAV deer and elk tags this past year anyway. I saw a heard of ~6 cow and yearlings but that's it. Other buddies saw a herd get chased out of the timber onto BLM land with a couple of rag horns but they didn't have tags and they were in high gear. The last day saw a side-by-side come out of a creek bottom I had narrowed in on as a good spot after a few days hunting with a really nice 6x. I'm used to hunting private land in NM so I'm a little spoiled but seemed like pretty tough hunting and curious if that all aligned with your historical experience over the years. It also definitely seemed more crowded this year than last.

OP
RetiredMarine
How'd your hunt go? I was in 58 this September. No luck for us, but had a great time.
Well, I had 3 shot opportunities, took one and whiffed. Misjudged the distance and shot just over his back. Things happened pretty quickly and they didn't come in to the spots I had previously ranged (why can't they ever read the script???). Shot for 40 yards and discovered the next morning when I went to find my arrow, he was at 27!!!

That was in unit 58. I ended up spending a week there. Ran into elk nearly every day. They weren't too vocal except in the evenings. And I only ran into one that was multi-pointed; most were spikes and cows. Didn't run into or see many other hunters, but there were a heck of a lot of recreational ATV and dirt bike riders. While that was annoying, it seemed the elk reacted a lot like deer do when a rancher or farmer is making his normal rounds (they seemed to be somewhat used to it).

I spent the remaining 10 days scout/hunting and getting the lay of the land of the other units in Beaverhead (30, 30A, 59, and 59A). The only other area I got into any elk was unit 59A but that was pretty limited. Ran into a hunter there who'd been hunting it since the opener, and he said it had been hammered pretty hard with pressure the opening week. If I had a crystal ball and realized where I had started out was the best of the areas I visited, I would have just spent my entire time there in 58.

I was able to get one of the newly limited DAV tags for this coming season for the Beaverhead zone. Figure I'll concentrate on the areas that held the elk I ran into and try to capitalize on my lessons learned from this last season.

OP
RetiredMarine
Were you out there this year? Me and some army buddies started going out there in 2019 but didn't have elk tags the first year. Didn't see many elk to begin with but got the DAV deer and elk tags this past year anyway. I saw a heard of ~6 cow and yearlings but that's it. Other buddies saw a herd get chased out of the timber onto BLM land with a couple of rag horns but they didn't have tags and they were in high gear. The last day saw a side-by-side come out of a creek bottom I had narrowed in on as a good spot after a few days hunting with a really nice 6x. I'm used to hunting private land in NM so I'm a little spoiled but seemed like pretty tough hunting and curious if that all aligned with your historical experience over the years. It also definitely seemed more crowded this year than last.
Yes, I went out there for a little over 2 weeks. Pre-scouted over 2 dozen areas of interest online using Google Earth and OnX, but actually only hunted about 10 of them. Got a good area fam, though, which allowed me to cross a few off the list as not worthwhile and earmark others for next time.

I ran into 2 army guys out of Ft Leavenworth who were hunting unit 30A. First time archery elk hunters and first time to Idaho. They hadn't had any luck, so I told them of the area I had left in unit 58 along where I'd run into elk. Even gave them the coordinates for my camp and where I'd missed my shot. I drove by the trailhead parking area a few days later and their truck wasn't there, so I don't know if they ever checked out "my" spot or not.

To answer your question, yes, I'd classify the area(s) as "challenging." The terrain is definitely steeper than what I've hunted in CO. The one thing that got imprinted on me was I seemed to be the only hunter on foot. EVERY other hunter I came across was using either an ATV, dirt bike or horse. And for good reason, I might add... The trailheads I hoofed really took their toll on the 2nd and 3rd time up. I'm seriously considering getting an ATV rental and using it to pack in for this year's hunt. I can't justify buying one at this point.

swiftni

FNG
Well, I had 3 shot opportunities, took one and whiffed. Misjudged the distance and shot just over his back. Things happened pretty quickly and they didn't come in to the spots I had previously ranged (why can't they ever read the script???). Shot for 40 yards and discovered the next morning when I went to find my arrow, he was at 27!!!

That was in unit 58. I ended up spending a week there. Ran into elk nearly every day. They weren't too vocal except in the evenings. And I only ran into one that was multi-pointed; most were spikes and cows. Didn't run into or see many other hunters, but there were a heck of a lot of recreational ATV and dirt bike riders. While that was annoying, it seemed the elk reacted a lot like deer do when a rancher or farmer is making his normal rounds (they seemed to be somewhat used to it).

I spent the remaining 10 days scout/hunting and getting the lay of the land of the other units in Beaverhead (30, 30A, 59, and 59A). The only other area I got into any elk was unit 59A but that was pretty limited. Ran into a hunter there who'd been hunting it since the opener, and he said it had been hammered pretty hard with pressure the opening week. If I had a crystal ball and realized where I had started out was the best of the areas I visited, I would have just spent my entire time there in 58.

I was able to get one of the newly limited DAV tags for this coming season for the Beaverhead zone. Figure I'll concentrate on the areas that held the elk I ran into and try to capitalize on my lessons learned from this last season.
Awesome. If only they would do what they are supposed to do!

We hung in 58 the whole trip. Would have liked to check out 59A as well, but sounds like we didn't miss much over there.

mtnlomo

FNG
Hey guys -

I'm a FNG to RokSlide and this is my first post, but I'm not new to elk hunting. I screwed up this 2020 Idaho (non-resident) elk season first by missing the window to put in for the draws, then waiting too late for a OTC General tag while I tried to determine what zone to hunt (had heard the quota for General tags oftentimes sell out early but I never dreamed it would have been last week (June 17) and evidently the same evening I went online to buy my tag). Lesson learned, I'm DEFINITELY starting the tag process for the 2021 season when it opens up to non-residents this December...

Anyhow, after nearly 20 years of hunting Colorado elk and having grown tired of the politics, increasing tag prices, increasing hunter pressure and decreasing elk encounters (where we hunt, at least), I decided to look into Idaho. Not only do the stats look pretty good (I know, CO has the largest elk herd), but I nearly fell over when I found out about the great deal Idaho offers disabled veterans on their hunting licenses (check it out if you fall into this category).

Long story short, when looking at the available uncapped General Elk Zones, I eventually was led to choose the Beaverhead Zone for a solo archery hunt with the intent of focusing on Units 30A and 58. This conclusion was reached after much study of harvest data, herd stats, map study (GoogleEarth, HuntStand, onX), talking with the IDFG, the logistics involved, etc.

My main problem is, I haven't yet set foot on Idaho ground and, for me, that's the real truth-teller even with a butt-load of data/map study in my back pocket. My second concern is, this will be my first solo endeaver (I normally hunt with 2 - 3 other guys), though from what I can see at this point, the Beaverhead Zone would be relatively "tame" terrain-wise compared to my Colorado experiences (am I wrong?).

I've read several other threads on the Beaverhead Zone as well as Units 30A and 58, but they're several years old at this point and I'm hoping to find some fresher info.

I'd be greatly appreciative if someone would be willing to give me their recent experience in Beaverhead Zone and if it's as specific as Units 30A and 58, all the better. I'm not looking to horn in on anyone's honey hole, just hoping to hear whether a first-time solo archery trip to that area would be worth my while or whether another Zone/Unit would be recommended moreso.

Many thanks in advance to any responders. I look forward to hearing from you!

Hey guys -

I'm a FNG to RokSlide and this is my first post, but I'm not new to elk hunting. I screwed up this 2020 Idaho (non-resident) elk season first by missing the window to put in for the draws, then waiting too late for a OTC General tag while I tried to determine what zone to hunt (had heard the quota for General tags oftentimes sell out early but I never dreamed it would have been last week (June 17) and evidently the same evening I went online to buy my tag). Lesson learned, I'm DEFINITELY starting the tag process for the 2021 season when it opens up to non-residents this December...

Anyhow, after nearly 20 years of hunting Colorado elk and having grown tired of the politics, increasing tag prices, increasing hunter pressure and decreasing elk encounters (where we hunt, at least), I decided to look into Idaho. Not only do the stats look pretty good (I know, CO has the largest elk herd), but I nearly fell over when I found out about the great deal Idaho offers disabled veterans on their hunting licenses (check it out if you fall into this category).

Long story short, when looking at the available uncapped General Elk Zones, I eventually was led to choose the Beaverhead Zone for a solo archery hunt with the intent of focusing on Units 30A and 58. This conclusion was reached after much study of harvest data, herd stats, map study (GoogleEarth, HuntStand, onX), talking with the IDFG, the logistics involved, etc.

My main problem is, I haven't yet set foot on Idaho ground and, for me, that's the real truth-teller even with a butt-load of data/map study in my back pocket. My second concern is, this will be my first solo endeaver (I normally hunt with 2 - 3 other guys), though from what I can see at this point, the Beaverhead Zone would be relatively "tame" terrain-wise compared to my Colorado experiences (am I wrong?).

I've read several other threads on the Beaverhead Zone as well as Units 30A and 58, but they're several years old at this point and I'm hoping to find some fresher info.

I'd be greatly appreciative if someone would be willing to give me their recent experience in Beaverhead Zone and if it's as specific as Units 30A and 58, all the better. I'm not looking to horn in on anyone's honey hole, just hoping to hear whether a first-time solo archery trip to that area would be worth my while or whether another Zone/Unit would be recommended moreso.

Many thanks in advance to any responders. I look forward to hearing from you!
Beaverhead zone has elk, but it also has hunters. I hunted it 2019 and 2020, I won't return there but not from a lack of success or encounters. I personally have found more elk than hunters, but I know many who haven't had that much success finding let alone killing elk. The country is steep relative or not, it's just steep I would venture to say you are wrong in assuming that it's relatively not steep. Unit 30A has great trophy potential, but by second week of season hundreds of the elk in that unit congregate on the private pivots just outside of Leadore and they don't move from there day or night for the rest of season, the owners of that land don't allow hunting period. There are tons of ATV trails and roads throughout all of the zone, and elk don't like those. I have seen wolves in unit 30 and wolf sign in 58, there aren't a ton of them, but they are there.

To find elk in the Beaverhead the recipe is simple find a place without a road within a half mile up high, with water, and dark timber and you will find elk. It's easiest find them by glassing them in the early hours of the morning feeding in the open (there is a lot of open area) and slipping into the timber to bed down just after sunrise. Water is scarce in both those units you have picked, find it and you will find elk. People will complain about all units no matter where you hunt, personally I think most hunts are what you make of them and Beaverhead archery is no exception.