Idaho Elk 20A

sneaky

"DADDY"
are you saying there isnt elk near the river?
Later in the season maybe, early season they're up high, just like everywhere else. Big, early snow might change that but that's a big might.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

are you saying there isnt elk near the river?

The summer range for elk in there is 6500-8500 feet. They often don’t hardly move off summer range during the season and I’ve talked to two different bios who’ve observed bulls in the Frank in January at 8,000 feet.

Huntnnw

WKR
Ive seen plenty of elk in some of the hells canyon units pushed off from hunting pressure with almost 0 snow to no snow up high. I agree the elk prefer to be up high, but they will only deal with so much. At the river too I am not talking right on the river, but hiking up 2000 to 3000' theres a buffer zone from the tops to river where elk can get away from hunters

Very good to know!! Ive been up pikes peak in CO and some other treacherous roads before so I know what you're saying. We could definitely downsize our trailer. I have an f-150 we could probably take. I just want to be able to bring extra gear just in case. Either way, I am super excited.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Very good to know!! Ive been up pikes peak in CO and some other treacherous roads before so I know what you're saying. We could definitely downsize our trailer. I have an f-150 we could probably take. I just want to be able to bring extra gear just in case. Either way, I am super excited.
There is no comparison between the road up Pike's peak and the road you are asking about taking in. Both are gravel, at least the upper part of pike's is, and that's about it. Do you have a plan of what you're going to do if you meet another vehicle that's also pulling a trailer? Pike's peak is a cakewalk compared to any of the roads in the Frank, or anywhere in central Idaho for that matter. We're just trying to save you some headaches. You guys would be better off bringing two vehicles and leaving the trailer at home.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

fatlander

WKR
FWIW, you’re planning on back pack elk hunting. Pack a back pack and go hunting. You don’t need a 23 foot trailer. You’ll have way less headaches that way. You won’t need 99% of the what if’s and back up stuff. Make sure you have a jack, full-size spare, and chains. Outside of that you don’t need anything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KurtR

WKR
not some little piece of crap jack a real one as there will be no flat spots to change the tire ask me how i know. Meeting some on those roads is a pain in the ass with a small truck i could not imagine pulling a trailer. First year we brought a trailer with sxs and after that have just left them home and a pick up with packs and less gear every year. Packing for the what ifs is painful about two miles in.

Subarus make great Idaho forest road rigs....good traction, you can turn around a lot of places, even sleep in it if necessary...throw a couple big coolers on top, you're good to go....

Braaap

WKR
You will encounter several miles at a time that's only wide enough for one vehicle. Like others have said leave the trailer at home and drive the F150 you mentioned, you can easily fit everything you need in that truck without a trailer for one week of hunting.

From my limited experience there the elk won't be down by the river. Be prepared to gain several thousand feet of elevation to find elk.

Awesome information everyone!! Thank you very much. The more research I do the more I see I wont need half of the stuff we are prepared to bring. I expect to hike up to high elevations!! The main reason behind the trailer was to have plenty of coolers along but if we take two trucks that shouldnt be an issue. Thanks a lot everyone!

hooker

Lil-Rokslider
The bark rubbed of trees on every corner no where near the Breaks is pretty funny shit. No way Id take a trailer in. A slight rain and you better chain up all 4.

hooker

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks a lot for all of the input guys!! I am taking notes on all of this!

No your not. There's something your not telling us about your trip or whom you might know... Location is everything? So with that rig your drive to the breaks, ascend, then gonna canoe across the river, just to climb to elevation? You started at elevation, and there no reason to cross that river. I apologize if I'm out of line.

TXJaeger

FNG
Awesome information everyone!! Thank you very much. The more research I do the more I see I wont need half of the stuff we are prepared to bring. I expect to hike up to high elevations!! The main reason behind the trailer was to have plenty of coolers along but if we take two trucks that shouldnt be an issue. Thanks a lot everyone!
Would love to hear a report on your trip.

OP
Justdecent
Most people hunting 20A, especially for elk are one and done. There’s a new fresh crop every year of guys wanting to hunt the Frank, and being majorly disappointed. It’s a great time and adventure, but there’s many other places to go with much better hunting.

Lol!!! The trip was a bust as you all said it would be. While it was a fun week away from life, I didn’t see a single elk! We busted our asses just to get them handed back to us. Learned a lot about what not to do and where not go. It rained a lot and snowed a little while we were there making things a little miserable. You can all bask in your glory of being correct. I’m a stupid newbie to elk hunting but I’ll be back real soon (in a new unit). Lol! Steep is an understatement for the Frank and we felt really handcuffed in many cases. On a positive note I caught some cut throat on the last day because I said F hunting and decided to go to the bottom and fish for a while. Thanks to everyone for any info and honesty. I learned a lot and can’t wait to come back!

TXJaeger

FNG
Lol!!! The trip was a bust as you all said it would be. While it was a fun week away from life, I didn’t see a single elk! We busted our asses just to get them handed back to us. Learned a lot about what not to do and where not go. It rained a lot and snowed a little while we were there making things a little miserable. You can all bask in your glory of being correct. I’m a stupid newbie to elk hunting but I’ll be back real soon (in a new unit). Lol! Steep is an understatement for the Frank and we felt really handcuffed in many cases. On a positive note I caught some cut throat on the last day because I said F hunting and decided to go to the bottom and fish for a while. Thanks to everyone for any info and honesty. I learned a lot and can’t wait to come back!
Thanks for the honest report. You didn’t have to come back here and share that, but you did. Kudos to you. Admire your youth and enthusiasm. Some times we need to experience things for ourselves. Had you not gone for it, you would have always wondered what could have been. Of course, the flip side of that is learning from others. When planning our adventures, I suppose it’s good to have a balance of both. Really comes down to what our ultimate objective is. Best of luck moving forward.

Broomd

WKR
Thanks for the honest report. You didn’t have to come back here and share that, but you did. Kudos to you. Admire your youth and enthusiasm. Some times we need to experience things for ourselves. Had you not gone for it, you would have always wondered what could have been. Of course, the flip side of that is learning from others. When planning our adventures, I suppose it’s good to have a balance of both. Really comes down to what our ultimate objective is. Best of luck moving forward.
Yep, kudos for the honesty about this. Glad you were safe and enjoyed the experience.