Idaho elk city A tag

kvw4x4

Lil-Rokslider
Well today was non resident Idaho elk tag day, and what a day it was.. we ended up getting our second choice tag. For elk city.. would love to hear from you on any advice for archery hunting this unit. Prefer to be pm’d if you have specific info. In trade I can offer good intel from the past 4 years of hunting the lemhi zone which was our 1st choice. Thanks I’m advance.

KY7x7

FNG
I read something online that said thats a challenging zone, all the elk are on the private lands. But its only 17% private land and the success rates are about the same as the other zones. I was just looking for a bubby he got that zone two.

KY7x7

FNG
I got a snake river tag, going archery if anyone has any advice it would be great!

I've got the A Tag for Elk City, unit 15 archery only. Never been there and first time hunting Idaho. Don't need help, don't need spots, don't need advice, don't need honey-holes. Looking forward to talking to bios, getting over for a weekend scouting, e-scouting, and making the plans. That's half the fun!

See you all out there!

Lots of wolves, but there are elk to hunt. Take advantage of driving FS roads and trying to locate elk at night. Don’t be married to one spot. The elk in the northern half of this state get pushed around a lot and the successful hunters are the ones that are willing to burn a lot of gas and put on many foot miles. I’d definitely try to come down for more than one weekend to explore different parts of the unit. Good luck 👍

airish06

FNG
I'll be out there in unit 15 with ya, Sir! Coming from Ohio, so will be going in with the best plan I can come up with via e-scouting. I've hunted Magic Valley the last three years with some success (can offer good intel in exchange for unit 15 intel). Following along on this thread for advice... I've heard rugged country with lots of wolves, now CWD in the deer herd... but no one ever said elk hunting was easy ;) gonna give it hell!

270flat

FNG
Gonna give archery a go this season. Spent the last few in the McCall unit with the rifle and the brush busting was twisting my head. Different time of the year and flinging arrows is the plan. The wolf pressure has me worried a little bit. Hope the wolves don’t put a damper on calling.

I'll be out there in unit 15 with ya, Sir! Coming from Ohio, so will be going in with the best plan I can come up with via e-scouting. I've hunted Magic Valley the last three years with some success (can offer good intel in exchange for unit 15 intel). Following along on this thread for advice... I've heard rugged country with lots of wolves, now CWD in the deer herd... but no one ever said elk hunting was easy ;) gonna give it hell!
Also had CWD show up in a cow elk too. Out of unit 14, I think. :(

BK Ammenwerth

Lil-Rokslider
Anything in central Idaho off the salmon or snake. Find the absolute shittiest, steepest, darkest hell hole possible, that’s got burns and lay downs everywhere. If the feeder creeks are running downhill at 30-50 degree pitch, your in there! Now just find a bench and a few seeps, and wallows.....That’s where they live, that’s where u will find them. If you’re near the bottom of said hell hole and you are wondering how the heck you’re going to get an elk out there.....your def in em!!! Lol. Every elk I (or my crew) has killed in 19a, 24, 19, 18, 22,23 has followed that to a T!!! You can add the pioneer, selway, middle fork, elk city to that same list. As the wolves have gotten worse I find this to be more true. Makes for a fun packout.

Last edited: