Idaho Elk City Zone

Steel4sam

FNG
Anybody have experience in this area? I plan to scout this summer but planning to buy an elk tag and apply for the controlled deer tag in the Unit. Will be hunting with my dad and Uncle. All of us have good experience and are willing and able to hunt deep. We intend on base camping at the road hiking in daily.
Any help is appreciated!

Sadler

WKR
My brother and I went to elk city four years ago and had zero luck on our rifle hunt. Heard some wolves and found a lot of wolf sign, but no elk. We ran into an outfitter while we were out there and I remember him saying that he was going 12-15 miles farther in from where we were to get away from the wolves. I can't remember exactly where we were but it was south of town. I'll look at a map tomorrow and get back to you

gumbl3

WKR
We went a little south of there a few years ago hunting mulies. Returned to Elk city every 4-5 days for a hot shower. Never saw an elk one, but the locals say there would be hundreds in the center of town come winter. Deer were plentiful around the whole area.

Hunted archery elk in this unit last September. On paper the unit looked intriguing with decent harvest success rate, lots of public land and lowish hunter numbers but the hunting ended up being really slow for me - I heard more wolf howls than elk bugles. I ran into some decent elk sign but didn't have a single encounter. During my trip I backpack hunted and was 2-5 miles from any trail or road. Probably wont hunt that unit this year unless I am able to get scouting trip in this summer that proves to be promising.

OP
S

Steel4sam

FNG
So there isn't an archery tag in 14. You sure that's where you were?