Idaho Elk Habitat Volunteer

Hi all,

I was talking to a biologist today regarding a unit in Idaho. She mentioned that invasive plants on winter range are a real issue there and fish and game is working to treat it. They can’t do aerial spraying in the wilderness like fish and game and partners just did in the Salmon area. I mentioned that it was perhaps be possible to get a group of sportsman together to help expand their efforts. The work would be in the summer and require a fairly long but flat backpack in a gorgeous wilderness area along a river.

If you would have the ability and interest in participating, please comment below. Dates would have to be floated around and coordinated with fish and game. Likely next summer project. If the group is large enough, I’ll tell fish and game and help coordinate getting volunteers from Idaho Horseman and some of the other groups.

Thanks.

OP
I
I don’t want to unnecessarily highlight an area. It’s wilderness with a river in Idaho in an area you could go on a deep backpack. 3+ hours from Boise.

PM me and I’ll be more specific.

Last edited:

P Carter

WKR
I would consider as well. Cant guarantee that I could make it work but definitely interested.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Like, summer 2021? That's what I consider next summer lol.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
I would think with enough volunteers they would get on that this summer instead of pushing it back a year. Better to hammer the invasive weeds as quickly as possible. Murder Hornets might be in there next year ya know lol.

brn2hnt

WKR
I would think with enough volunteers they would get on that this summer instead of pushing it back a year. Better to hammer the invasive weeds as quickly as possible. Murder Hornets might be in there next year ya know lol.

This man wins the Internet today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
I

I’ll talk to them and see. With approvals from other agencies required it sounds like it’s going to be awhile.

That's awesome. good on you for taking it on.
Do you know the species of problem plants?
It is very unlikely to get all of them via hand pulling so if there is a way to capture the site by replanting native seed or at least species that are beneficial that would help a lot too
If you get the horse group involved just have them pack in a few cases of beer to lure volunteers.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I’ll talk to them and see. With approvals from other agencies required it sounds like it’s going to be awhile.
Yeah, I'm sure the hold up is gonna be from the bureaucratic side of things

OP
I
Yeah, I'm sure the hold up is gonna be from the bureaucratic side of things

Yes. Side note: I've now had two biologists who cover wilderness areas tell me that the wilderness designation significantly impacts the biologist's ability to manage the habitat and game in the wilderness. It's an unfortunate byproduct of that form of resource management. I enjoy not hearing motorized vehicles as much as the next guy but it's a complication.

Pwells10

WKR
Me and the guys might be interested depending on dates. If I'm free, I'm game.

OP
I
I’m impressed with the resident response. It’s a bummer no nonresidents have commented to my knowledge. Some guys have young kids or a demanding job but there’s a chunk that could contribute.

Calbuck

WKR
It will be tough to get non residents because many of them can't afford the time off for this and still be able to hunt come season. I'd be interested in helping from CA but people from ID don't like us CA people.. the badmouthing on non-residents via these forums kinda puts a damper on things like this. I'm curious, what if the biologist directed a strictly volunteer group with funding from, say RMEF or Mule Deer Foundation and cut the bureaucracy out of it? What if people just went into the woods with an invasive species list and took care of it?

Rob5589

WKR
I'd be in to help. Logistically, it would have to be a solid date/time/place well in advance in order to plan a 10+ hour drive. Keep us updated.

OP
I
I'd be in to help. Logistically, it would have to be a solid date/time/place well in advance in order to plan a 10+ hour drive. Keep us updated.

Sweet. I think a set date and logistics would be good for all around.