Idaho elk hunt camp or hike each day

So I am going on my first elk hunt in the sawtooth area in late October my question is how many pack in and camp to follow the elk and how many walk in and out each day.

Legend

WKR
I keep camp on my back. There are pros and cons to each approach. I would rather have a 10 day backpacking trip then a hectic truck camp/move to another spot/truck camp/ repeat.

OP
J
This was kinda the approach I was thinking. I do have the benefit of having a friend out there that will be hunting some before I arrive to help eliminate area. How many days worth of rations do you carry.
I keep camp on my back. There are pros and cons to each approach. I would rather have a 10 day backpacking trip then a hectic truck camp/move to another spot/truck camp/ repeat.

Legend

WKR
This was kinda the approach I was thinking. I do have the benefit of having a friend out there that will be hunting some before I arrive to help eliminate area. How many days worth of rations do you carry.
I bring 8 days of food and plan to hunt 10. I usually don't eat as much as i plan for. So there are usually enogh granola bars and a freeze dried meal left.

sneaky

"DADDY"
You'll hike in and out once in the Sawtooths, and then you'll start carrying your gear with you to stay. Nothing easy in that zone. Drove through it a few hours ago.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
J
You'll hike in and out once in the Sawtooths, and then you'll start carrying your gear with you to stay. Nothing easy in that zone. Drove through it a few hours ago.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
That’s exactly what I was wondering. How many miles can one expect to get on a decent bull

Jgill19

Lil-Rokslider
When I'm hiking in and out everyday I wish I was backpacking. When you're backpacking, your pad goes flat, your water is frozen, your boots are ice blocks... I wish I was hiking in and out each day and sleeping in hot tent eating real meals.