Idaho Elk Hunting

Cody_W

WKR
Hey guys, I’m looking at a few units in Idaho this year for elk and would love some input. I have a late season archery mule deer hunt in unit 72-1 That is from November 16- December 5 and I’m trying to save an extra trip up there and get an any weapon tag for the week before. I’m not sure if this is even possible since the mule deer season is a first choice draw (though it’s unlimited) but I’d like to see if I can get a bull the week before with my rifle in either unit 20a, 26, or 27. Anyone with experience in this have any input?

Thanks in advance,
Cody

OP
Cody_W

Cody_W

WKR
Exactly the information I need. It’s a new area to me so I don’t want to get into something bound for failure.

Exactly the information I need. It’s a new area to me so I don’t want to get into something bound for failure.
If you have the chance, you should definitely check out the Frank, but do it in the summer with a camera and fish pole. I wouldn’t venture in there after game.

WIarrow

FNG
An option I’ve been considering is Frank area with rifle in Sept ... elk are sparse, but chasing bugles with rifle would be fun.

An option I’ve been considering is Frank area with rifle in Sept ... elk are sparse, but chasing bugles with rifle would be fun.

They hardly bugle. Huge country and tons of predators makes them quiet. Success rates are loooooow.

WIarrow

FNG
I hunted the fringes of Frank a bunch of years ago ... elk hunting life before wolves arrived was good. Agree - Frank is littered with canine.