Idaho Elk outfitters

Sjs52

FNG
New to the site and we are considering and Elk hunt in 2021 in Idaho. I spoke to several outfitters at the Harrisburg show. Russell Pond Outfitters and Howe. I'm starting to check Russell Pond's references this week having spoke to a few already. Any recommendations for outfitters or comments would be appreciated.

thank you

Steve

Fullfan

WKR
Save yourself a ton of $$ and do the DYI route. I live in Western Pa, there is a crew of us been dong it for years. I can spend the entire archery season in Idaho for around 1800.00 including tags. I know 5 guys that paid Castle Creek outfitters 5100.00 each for a 5 day hunt, they saw 3 cow elf for 25k. We were prob 100 miles from them, killed 5 bulls and 5 deer.

Russle Pond?! I would not go in the area he guides. His bread and butter is predator hunting. Its beautiful country, but not elk country anymore.

Pay no mind to my username, I am not a outfitter trying to steer you away from competition, its a name me and my hunting buddies came up with years ago for our crew.

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
Russle Pond?! I would not go in the area he guides. His bread and butter is predator hunting. Its beautiful country, but not elk country anymore.

Pay no mind to my username, I am not a outfitter trying to steer you away from competition, its a name me and my hunting buddies came up with years ago for our crew.
That’s exactly what an outfitter would say..... 😂

sneaky

"DADDY"
Did Russell Pond furnish you with a list of contacts to call? That's the first red flag. You need to talk to both successful and unsuccessful hunters, not a cherry picked list.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I was an outfitter in in Montana and did the Harrisburg show for 10 years or so. I’ve had guys come by my booth that hunted with them. Keep looking...

DMurphy

FNG
Any outfitters that are recommended? I, too, am looking at Idaho in 2021. We have to do rifle season due to buddy’s work schedule. Looking to pack in.

Wrench

WKR
I hunt close to Pond. If I were opening my wallet I'd want areas with more elk and huntable land.

That area is incredibly thick with not great elk numbers....BUT isolated pockets definitely hold huntable numbers.

One big problem is that if there is a fire anywhere close, the whole area is screwed.....and the number of people there is mind blowing.

I have zero experience with the outfit other than passing some of his camps.....but that area is easily DIY......*IF* you could scout it. Imagine 80% of the land has zero elk, 15% has elk pass through and 5% holds 95% of the elk.

Fullfan

WKR
Like I mentioned above. This is the results from this years DIY archery. Less money and more rewarding than Hiring an outfitter.

Attachments

• 3A07264B-0898-4F09-883F-7906B9537BEE.png
    3A07264B-0898-4F09-883F-7906B9537BEE.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 58

awarren90

FNG
Save yourself a ton of $$ and do the DYI route. I live in Western Pa, there is a crew of us been dong it for years. I can spend the entire archery season in Idaho for around 1800.00 including tags. I know 5 guys that paid Castle Creek outfitters 5100.00 each for a 5 day hunt, they saw 3 cow elf for 25k. We were prob 100 miles from them, killed 5 bulls and 5 deer.
Do you have any experience in the middle fork area of Idaho?

IDspud

Lil-Rokslider
Idk what your experience level is or ability to get it done, but it looks like I will be going on year four without having bagged one. I spent probably close to what a guide costs every year, and I live here and get to hunt 20+ Days a season…

Fullfan

WKR
Idk what your experience level is or ability to get it done, but it looks like I will be going on year four without having bagged one. I spent probably close to what a guide costs every year, and I live here and get to hunt 20+ Days a season…
Not ringing my own bell, but have been successful in both rifle and archery. On a 6 year streak of archery bulls. Prior I killed my fair share of respectability bulls. I would never pay someone to do what I can do on my own. But just w elk, I kill 8-10 gobblers every spring in several state .