Idaho elk report?

shayes11

FNG
Been out in the Panhandle since Saturday, had one respond with a chuckle and then nothing on Saturday morning. Silence since then. Cruising roads tonight trying to locate, they have to start talking soon!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Marble

WKR
I heard bulls each day all day, got 2 within killing range but no shot opportunity. Ended up with a cow.

Lots of hunters on the trail. But none up where the animals were. After I got 400' above the trail the only tracks I saw were nine. And some elk. No wolf, bear or lion tracks.

RustyHazen

Lil-Rokslider
Got lucky Saturday morning with my second elk of the season. Kind of called him in, kind of snuck in, kind of ambushed. He had thirty cows, a few spikes, and a five point he kept running off. He did answer my weak bugles and came in looking to whoop me. Definite rutting activity but sporadic. Crazy part is I was loaded down with ten days of food and gear, and shot him 16 hours after I hit the trail. So fortunate...

pbcarch

WKR
Congrats Rusty.
We just got back home, tag soup on our second year

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Idahunt

FNG
Spent 5 days in 32a silent until Friday evening heard our first bugle, heard another saturday morning. Never saw any bulls with cows. Hoping they get fired up soon

Anyone else hunting 56? We’ve seen a couple of hunters but not nearly the army of flat billers I expected.

I hate to just keep asking questions but are there wolves this far south in Idaho? We’ve seen a couple of sets of pretty large dog tracks but they’ve all been singles and not a group.

mmcdonough

Lil-Rokslider
Wolves blew out our final 2 days in the panhandle. Found an awesome little drainage and had 3-4 active bulls. Last night my buddy was within 30 yards of the herd bull and I was about 35 from a satellite on top of the saddle. Bulls were going nuts, my bull was on his way in when a deep wolf howl rang out. All of the sudden everything but the herd bull went quiet and the sun went down about 15 minutes after. We high tailed it out of the there before they started messing with us. The next day we could hear the heard bull give out a couple lazy bugles but after that he dropped way to the bottom and didn’t talk anymore. Ran out of time before we could locate more elk. Sucks but that’s Idaho elk hunting these days I guess. Until next year!

Last edited:

Baerman

FNG
I hate to just keep asking questions but are there wolves this far south in Idaho? We’ve seen a couple of sets of pretty large dog tracks but they’ve all been singles and not a group.
What's this far? I've heard of wolves in the most southern units...so yes but in less density probably.